electro house collective
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

House / Dubstep Discussion of music similar to Deep Dish, Kaskade, Burial, Rusko, Deadmau5.

Old 21-09-2011, 05:44 AM   #1
djaeke
Regular Freak
djaeke is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 11
electro house collective

Basically, here's the idea.

Four people come together into a collective, yet-to-be-named. It's kind of hard to explain. We release stuff consistently on a collective soundcloud account, that we have collaborated to make. We remix each other's stuff and put it on the same release too. For example, the first release would probably be a set of four singles, where each one is a collab between two of the members, and the other two remix it. Give each member a letter and it looks something like this:
(the letter in parentheses are remixers)
AB
AB (C)
AB (D)
BD
BD (A)
BD (C)
AC
AC (B)
AC (D)
CD
CD (A)
CD (B)
I would be a member, of course, as well as "organizer/planner". I'd put together the track listings and make sure everyone is in contact and making tracks, make sure we're all contributing somewhat equally, and make sure all the tracks get uploaded to soundcloud.

In addition, each member would upload the tracks they were involved in to their own soundclouds. for
example, in the above example, A would upload AB, AB (C), AB (D), BD (A), AC, AC (B), AC (D), and CD (A) to their soundcloud. This seems like a lot, so they would be free to upload only a few, or upload them at different times, if they don't have a pro account. This method would allow everyone to get some publicity. Not just, "I scratch your back, you scratch mine" but instead "we all scratch each other's backs simultaneously." When we do our own releases, independent of the collective, we're free to get in touch with each other for remixing or whatever, that's the beauty of it!

If you're interested, email me at jake.daniel.brooks (at) gmail.com with a link or two to some of your work on soundcloud (it has to be soundcloud)
the requirements are:
1. a soundcloud account (doesn't need to be pro, but it helps. I'm not (yet), so I won't judge)
2. a facebook account you go on with a certain amount of regularity (this would be organized via a facebook group, since I feel that is the best way to organize things) you must also be semi-comfortable with adding people you don't necessarily know in real life, so I can invite you to the group. It's okay, I'm not a creeper.
3. A willingness to try new things. This is an Electro House collective, but feel free to experiment! Maybe we'll get some dubstep in there, some drum and bass, who knows?

If you have any questions, ask and I'll be glad to
answer!

Advertisements

djaeke is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 05:45 AM   #2
djaeke
Regular Freak
Re: electro house collective

Note: this isn't a one-off project, it's ongoing. Don't join unless you're willing to make a commitment. In theory. You can leave anytime, but we'd replace you and keep moving. I'd prefer you commit yourself to at least a few releases.
Old 21-09-2011, 10:30 PM   #3
jds1
jds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MC
Brisbane
MC Status: 2797866

People need to know who they're signing up with so they'd know if they wanted to commit or not.

You're probably thinking too narrowly about it though.

It'd be much better to have it know that this soundcloud group etc or collective is known to be a place where pretty much 'anyone' had the chance to ask to remix someone else track which has been uploaded to the page or have their own tracks remixed, once completing a solid release, it'd be shopped to a label or find a distributor etc.

Maybe get a few independant labels interested in the idea first,
and have an idea of what constitutes a release, maybe the original track and two remixes.

Those with the skills could also do artwork or find graphic designers whom might be interested in getting their work out their as part of such releases, and would therefore be much more readily consumed/palatable etc to be sold or signed.

In terms of promotion it'd be very handy to have some solid relationships with bloggers.

There's a good idea in what you outlined but it needs to be a bit more open and transparent,
plus if you could get interest from said labels/bloggers prior to commencement, you'd find higher quality producers would more likely join in.

It's basically a label in it's infancy stage but could develop quickly depending on the content it's pushing.
jds1 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 10:33 PM   #4
jds1
jds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MC
Brisbane

Further to this.

You could either do all this legwork yourself and have a larger 'cut' worked out,
or in the spirit of a collective, everyone involved in a release has a part to play to get the most out of it's result i.e. promotion.
Old 22-09-2011, 03:50 AM   #5
djaeke
Regular Freak

Yeah, I see what you're saying, but I wasn't planning to sign this to any labels. Should I? I mean, it's mostly for fun/promotion. I don't know that we'd even make any money unless it takes off so I don't know what "cut"s you're speaking of. The reward wouldn't be the money, it's the publicity.

If member A posts three collective tracks featuring members B and C, and they get 100 new fans/listeners, then B and C would get a portion of it. In essence, we would be quadrupling our promotion efforts.

If it was all completely open to the public, it wouldn't as much of an effect, a collective with specific members is more likely to get a fanbase.

However- I very much like your idea. Maybe after we do the four single thing, and we have a half-decent list of followers, we can do something like what you said, and in addition to helping the rest of the team out, get some independent producers some fans? We'll see if it even goes that far.
Old 22-09-2011, 03:55 AM   #6
jds1
Brisbane

It's worth shopping the releases around to be signed and distributed to online stores.
If the quality isn't good enough for that, than what's the point?
Old 22-09-2011, 04:02 AM   #7
djaeke
Regular Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds1 View Post
It's worth shopping the releases around to be signed and distributed to online stores.
If the quality isn't good enough for that, than what's the point?
I guess I see why, yeah. We'd probably wanna actually complete the stuff first though. Are you saying you're interested or are you just giving advice? I'm cool with it either way.
Old 22-09-2011, 04:13 AM   #8
jds1
Brisbane

I'd be interested if I heard good quality tracks from the guys involved.

You probably have to start out with getting potential producers to put up their best tracks on the soundcloud page, and each of them pick two guys they'd want to remix their tracks and one or two tracks they'd like to remix of other peoples'.

From this you could work out who could work on which release,
of course some kind of quality control should be utilised to make sure things are up to scratch and everyone's happy. Have some kind of time frame to work towards, and write on the dashboard about progress etc.

One thing that comes to mind though (electro house collective), is that most remixes differ from the original in genre (not always, sometimes there's enough changes done to warrant it when it's still in the same genre)
Originals are more often than not released with remixes in other genres.
So i'm not sure how this works with the 'electro house collective' moniker etc. Probably doesnt matter too much so long as electro house is it's core aim.
Old 22-09-2011, 04:28 AM   #9
djaeke
Regular Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds1 View Post
I'd be interested if I heard good quality tracks from the guys involved.

You probably have to start out with getting potential producers to put up their best tracks on the soundcloud page, and each of them pick two guys they'd want to remix their tracks and one or two tracks they'd like to remix of other peoples'.

From this you could work out who could work on which release,
of course some kind of quality control should be utilised to make sure things are up to scratch and everyone's happy. Have some kind of time frame to work towards, and write on the dashboard about progress etc.

One thing that comes to mind though (electro house collective), is that most remixes differ from the original in genre (not always, sometimes there's enough changes done to warrant it when it's still in the same genre)
Originals are more often than not released with remixes in other genres.
So i'm not sure how this works with the 'electro house collective' moniker etc. Probably doesnt matter too much so long as electro house is it's core aim.
1. Here's my soundcloud: http://www.soundcloud.com/dj-aeke and despite being a drum n bass producer http://www.soundcloud.com/infectix might get involved.

2. I think I understand what you're saying...when you say "potential producers" are we still on the topic of an open collective? Because I'm thinking of this in more of a band-like mindset, except not everyone is on every track, and after we have a bit of stuff done, maybe do what you were saying. And do you mean this as part of the audition process since you're saying "potential"? Because I was thinking the producers would email me their stuff and if it's well-done, I pick it.

3. Remixes aren't NECESSARILY a different genre, especially in electro house. Although, I see what you're saying. I do dubstep and 8-bit and acid and all kinds of cool stuff, so let me clarify the genre a bit.

It's electro house mainly, but can have influences of other genres, or even a few tracks in other genres entirely! That's the beauty of having four producers, they each have their own style and genres of expertise to bring to the table. The remixes especially would likely be in other genres, because it's fun hearing a song in a different genre.

Send me your soundcloud, and I'll keep you in mind once this thing starts picking up speed!
Old 22-09-2011, 04:32 AM   #10
djaeke
Regular Freak

I do really like all the ideas your bringing forward with getting other people involved, but I think for stating out, to gain some reputation, we do the four singles. We could get the hang of collaborating on facebook with each other and all, and get some material to show to people when discussing remixes and labels and all that.

Advertisements