MOTU Hardware - any good?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Go Back » The Studio » The Studio
Old 12-06-2013, 10:19 PM   #1
Maarike
Granular Poster
Maarike has a spectacular aura aboutMaarike has a spectacular aura aboutMaarike has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210
MOTU Hardware - any good?

Hi,
I'm currently thinking of buying the MOTU UltraLite-mk3 Hybrid audio interface.
Just wanted to know if someone could recommend the sound card, or generally, MOTU's Hardware products.

I already own Digital Performer 8, which I love. But it seems like not every company have the same quality standards within their software products and hardware products.

Advertisements

Maarike is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:33 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8560130
Thanked 7,384 Times in 5,221 Posts
Re: MOTU Hardware - any good?

I have the MOTU 828 MKII firewire and absolutely love it. I'll only sell it to upgrade to a new MOTU interface. Probably the one you are talking about, or perhaps if they have a 16 out interface....

Per-amps are pretty ace for what I'm doing (recording samples from vinyl, synths etc). No latency problems. Solid build. Options to use the interface as a standalone mixer w/o the computer. WAY better A/D converters than I ever had before (Mackie Blackjack Onyx, before that M-Audio PCI Audiophile).

Go for it. You won't regret it.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:47 PM   #3
Maarike
Granular Poster
Maarike has a spectacular aura aboutMaarike has a spectacular aura aboutMaarike has a spectacular aura about

Thanks a lot relic, I'll go for it then! Btw i'm new to this forum, so how do I "thank" your reply?
Old 12-06-2013, 11:19 PM   #4
relic
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

No worries. I really don't think you'll be disappointed with a MOTU interface. Great tool if you plan on recording external hardware or doing any processing OTB.

If you are able to, the Thanks button appears in the bottom right hand corner. Just click it on the post you want to thank.

------------------
Thanks to relic
RFJ (12-06-2013)
Old 12-06-2013, 11:30 PM   #5
Maarike
Granular Poster

Hmm, it isn't there, guess I have to make some more posts, but anyway, thanks relic!
Thanks to Maarike
relic (12-06-2013)
Old 12-06-2013, 11:47 PM   #6
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199645618
Thanked 4,927 Times in 3,178 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarike View Post
Hmm, it isn't there, guess I have to make some more posts, but anyway, thanks relic!
I got this.

Anyway...

Second on the Motu. I had the same one as relic, sold it long before I knew what to do with it. Wish I still had it because it sounded great.

------------------
------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 01:56 AM   #7
Str8Jaketed
Str8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MC
GET OFF MY LAWN!
MC Status: 33010

Third that MOTU..they make a great product. A friend of mine just switched from 4- Delta 1010's to the MOTU 24I/0 with the 2408mk3 expansion and loves it..Give him 2 more slots on his rack for more gear.

------------------
“A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”Frank Zappa

“Hell is full of musical amateurs.” -George Bernard Shaw
Str8Jaketed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 02:32 AM   #8
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Unless you are looking for absolute top of the line platinum album cash flow D/A conversion and pre-amps, No reason, NO FUCKING reason... not to go MOTU imo. : )

------------------
Old 13-06-2013, 02:59 PM   #9
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1540577
Thanked 2,047 Times in 1,311 Posts

All of the above.

Best price/feature set/sound to $ ratio out there.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 03:05 PM   #10
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 59510
Thanked 1,190 Times in 791 Posts

A friend of mine has the same interface. I remember reading that some older MOTU interfaces had some problems with Windows drivers (MAC ones were never a problem) but those seem to be solved on the newer interfaces (incl. the one you want to get).

Anyway, considering the replies (which included Windows users) this doesn't seem to be a problem.

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 03:18 PM   #11
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by professurreal View Post
A friend of mine has the same interface. I remember reading that some older MOTU interfaces had some problems with Windows drivers (MAC ones were never a problem) but those seem to be solved on the newer interfaces (incl. the one you want to get).

Anyway, considering the replies (which included Windows users) this doesn't seem to be a problem.
Part of the issue is that some of the older firewire MOTUs required a computer have a Texas Instruments chipset for firewire. I got a PCI firewire card with a TI chipset, but it also ran fine on my MB's firewire chipset.

I guess most firewire isn't actually class compliant. TI always is.

But yea, running Win 7 64bit here. No issues. Ever.

------------------
Old 13-06-2013, 03:19 PM   #12
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.

I think it was a TI chipset issue, not a driver one, from what I remember.

Could be wrong though.

I don't think it's that big of a deal anymore.

------------------
------
Old 13-06-2013, 03:19 PM   #13
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
I live in California.

Gotta be quick around here.

------------------
------
Thanks to RFJ
relic (13-06-2013)
Old 13-06-2013, 03:21 PM   #14
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 59510
Thanked 1,190 Times in 791 Posts

I know off the chipset problems but my friend had one of their USB interfaces so that wasn't the issue. The issue seemed to be bad drivers. However, this is about 7-8 years ago so I'm sure things have changed

Edit: And if I'd buy an audio interface I would also buy the ultralight or the traveller.

Last edited by professurreal; 13-06-2013 at 03:32 PM..

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to professurreal
relic (13-06-2013)
Old 13-06-2013, 05:08 PM   #15
Dub Gussett
Learning The Ropes
Dub Gussett is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

I know there was problems with windows drivers a couple of years back, but i don't think that's much of an issue now.

Depending on how much i/o you need the Focusrite Forte has been getting some really good reviews from people i know using them and the press!
They have the same converters as the rednet series so might be worth a look at!

Dub Gussett is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 04:55 AM   #16
dichotomos
Minor Glitch
dichotomos is a jewel in the roughdichotomos is a jewel in the roughdichotomos is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarike View Post
Hi,
I'm currently thinking of buying the MOTU UltraLite-mk3 Hybrid audio interface.
Just wanted to know if someone could recommend the sound card, or generally, MOTU's Hardware products.

I already own Digital Performer 8, which I love. But it seems like not every company have the same quality standards within their software products and hardware products.

My MOTU Ultralite MK 2 is the bees knees. Very versatile and super compact and also light in weight. So many options to choose from and the setup is really straight forward no complicated GUI to mess your way through.

Advertisements

dichotomos is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote