AudioRealisms ABL3 Released
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 05-01-2016, 01:34 AM   #1
MFXxx
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1840577
AudioRealisms ABL3 Released

Not sure I've seen a post regarding this one here yet.

A very quick and basic comparisson of the ABL3 vs x0xb0x.
The same pattern triggered by midi from cubase to both soft synth and hardware.
Automation on software is more in time to my hardware tweaking, but it's a fairly reasonable comparison.
First four bars are static with all knobs far left.
I've done a screenshot so you can see what's happening at what point in time on the audio stems (may choose to upload each stem to your own daw for example).
Everything is reasonably level matched. So both units are set to max volume.
The stems start with all settings (Cutoff/Res/Env Mod/Decay/Accent) to 0/far left and increases over 2 bars for each, stays static for 2 bars then the next and so on, then the second half of the stem in reverse.

Hope this is of help to some people.

Downloads

ABL3 SAW [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

x0xb0x Saw [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

ABL3 SQR [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

x0xb0x SQR [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Screenshots

Tracks for reference
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wol3m75oo2...RACKS.jpg?dl=0

Mixer levels

https://www.dropbox.com/s/13rmltwe5f...MIXER.jpg?dl=0

Clicking

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2mt8uibqs4...%2002.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kduoii7gys...%2001.jpg?dl=0

Cubase Project if you really need it.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

I'd be interested in anyone can replicate the clicking issue that can be heard in the first two bars or so of the abl3 stems upto around 20 seconds. This replicates everytime on my system.
Windows10x64/Cubase8.5x64/RME Fireface800

Last edited by MFXxx; 07-01-2016 at 10:10 AM..

Advertisements

------------------
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 03:29 AM   #2
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 62260
Thanked 1,245 Times in 915 Posts
Re: AudioRealisms ABL3 Released

I've been a longstanding fan of the Abl. I have the Abl3 in Reason and Abl2 in Logic/Maschine. I found the Abl3 to be a tad lacking as it required some decent distortion to get it to scream. Somehow the Abl2 felt more easy to get going.

How do you think Abl2 compares vs Abl3 (and ultimately both vs x0xb0x or TB-303 original) ?

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:56 AM   #3
MFXxx
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
I've been a longstanding fan of the Abl. I have the Abl3 in Reason and Abl2 in Logic/Maschine. I found the Abl3 to be a tad lacking as it required some decent distortion to get it to scream. Somehow the Abl2 felt more easy to get going.

How do you think Abl2 compares vs Abl3 (and ultimately both vs x0xb0x or TB-303 original) ?
Interestingly my initial and very loose first impressions is ABL3 has a closer sound to my x0xb0x than ABL2. What I found with ABL2 is whilst it's close, it also felt a little softer, lighter on the sound to ABL3.

ABL3 seems to have more depth and grit to ABL2.
ABL3 vs x0xb0x, I feel the x0xb0x has more low end and girth to the sound. Also the scream is going to depend on the distro box/effect you are using. Saying that when I was playing with the audio stems during the session, I had to double check was it the x0xbox or ABL3 I was tweaking. However with a surgical ear there's a noticable difference. ONce in a mix with other sounds, I doubt if anyone would notice the difference. Audiorealism have done, I believe, a pukka job with this release.

When comparing TB3 vs x0xb0x, it's really going to depend on the unit and components installed. Time left to warm up. A lot of posts comparing TB3's side by side will still through back a variation in sound and results.

I did a lot of research and opte dfor a x0xb0x from WIllyzyx, although there's also a German company that will provide a variety of Mods. Both links below:

If you're thinking of going hardware do some research on adafruit forums, a lot of info on there.

Be prepared if your going hardware, you will want to consider what other kit your using, synchronization, distortion box, compressor, mixer, leads....

For me I love the hardware for jamming and really want another but that would = divorce! Im banned from hardware purchases for the time being

------------------
Thanks to MFXxx
liquid_air (05-01-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 02:11 PM   #4
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 62260
Thanked 1,245 Times in 915 Posts

Sounds great, I'll have to check it out. It's the best 303 emulator I know of. Navi Retlav has one for Reason that's ok, but not great. Silver box is also just ok.

A vintage 303 would be high on my list, but I am currently thinking more like a Eurorack/Moog mother combo... just gotta read up a bit on how to build one. Doepfer has off the shelf systems, but they're coming at a cost.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 03:43 AM   #5
vetrix
vetrix is a savage MCvetrix is a savage MCvetrix is a savage MCvetrix is a savage MCvetrix is a savage MCvetrix is a savage MCvetrix is a savage MCvetrix is a savage MCvetrix is a savage MCvetrix is a savage MCvetrix is a savage MC
MC Status: 328626

great reference work!

Just a note to say that you you posted two ABL3 Saws tracks here , I think you were intending to do 1 Saw and 1 Square..

I believe that the comparison shows that ABL does a really good job competing with hardware units although I am not sure if you need ABL3 since ABL2 already gets the work done nicely!

------------------
vetrix is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to vetrix
MFXxx (07-01-2016)
Old 07-01-2016, 01:57 PM   #6
MFXxx
My own little world

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetrix View Post
great reference work!
Thank you

Quote:
Just a note to say that you you posted two ABL3 Saws tracks here , I think you were intending to do 1 Saw and 1 Square..
Whoops and thank you.

Quote:
I believe that the comparison shows that ABL does a really good job competing with hardware units although I am not sure if you need ABL3 since ABL2 already gets the work done nicely!
It depends on how surgical and passionate you dig into this. Personally I love the fact that it compliments the x0xb0x in the mix, unlike some others and the midi out is a godsend. Although I am not 100% or tested how the slide over midi to x0xb0x/hardware is effective or not.

Some focus features that crossover from ABL2 and improved on ABL3 from the manual :

Features
● Extremely authentic 303 emulation using our ABL3 engine
● Ultra natural knob response, scaled to match the original 303 precisely
● Builtin
303/Rebirth style step sequencer with 64 steps
● Hard sync to the host's transport
● Supports 4 patterns of 16 steps, 2 patterns of 32 steps or 1 pattern of 64 steps
● CV/Gate input to control the sound engine externally
● CV/Gate output to control other Reason devices from the step sequencer
● CV Modulation inputs for Tuning, Cut Off, Resonance, Envelope Modulation, Decay and
Accent
● Resonance and Gate Time trimmers that allow tweaking the emulation
● Three different VCO Models
● Noise settings for VCA Clicks and VCA Noise
● Pattern modifiers with Random, Alter, Copy and Paste functions
● Unique vibrato which is activated by setting UP+DOWN on steps. This effect is one of
the few extensions to the 303 that we are launching ABL3 with.
● Full 48 and 96kHz support, which means the engine uses the full bandwidth of the project setting
● Step Record mode which allows recording patterns via MIDI or the OnScreen
Piano Keys

Advertisements

------------------