MIDI Keyboard that lights up according to MIDI in DAW
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 05-12-2015, 01:59 AM   #1
Dhji
Knob Twiddler
Dhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MC
Victoria, BC
MC Status: 66696
MIDI Keyboard that lights up according to MIDI in DAW

I've decided to go with keyboard/piano and since I basically want to learn a lot of my own songs that I've written into ableton, I'd like to use a keyboard that lights up the notes I have to play so I can start slowly and learn all the songs I've written.. Is there such thing?

Advertisements

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
I don't know either man. I kinda feel like things are heading towards talking about our feels...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingley View Post
So, this is the time to confess my unrequited love for Dhji?
Dhji is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 02:17 AM   #2
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 195210
Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,908 Posts
Re: MIDI Keyboard that lights up according to MIDI in DAW

NI's Komplete Kontro S series - [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

On offer at the moment in a lot of places, so you could more than likely pick one up with a good bit knocked off the usual price.

I have the 61 key version and it's a damn fine bit if kit.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 02:58 AM   #3
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 62060
Thanked 1,241 Times in 912 Posts

Mine arriving Monday...

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to liquid_air
A.M (05-12-2015)
Old 05-12-2015, 03:02 AM   #4
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
Mine arriving Monday...
Welcome to the club! Man, you are going to be as happy as a pig in shit when you get it up and running, trust me!

------------------
Old 05-12-2015, 09:58 AM   #5
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny

I wasn't entirely sure if it's really needed as I tend to control my synths using Maschine Studio, which has seemingly most of the same functionality. I thought, though, that it might be a nice idea to learn about scales and chords by using Kontrol. We'll see how that will work out...

I'm afraid, I'll have to now get Komplete as well...

------------------

Thanks to liquid_air
A.M (05-12-2015)
Old 05-12-2015, 12:59 PM   #6
A.M

Quote:
I wasn't entirely sure if it's really needed as I tend to control my synths using Maschine Studio, which has seemingly most of the same functionality. I thought, though, that it might be a nice idea to learn about scales and chords by using Kontrol. We'll see how that will work out...

I'm afraid, I'll have to now get Komplete as well...
You REALLY are in for some fun..seriously. The comebo of both Maschine Studio and the KK S-(..however many keys you're getting) is really cool. When you hook them up together, it's like having one big unit..well, it IS having one big unit.

Somehow I think we'll be seeing less of you on here for a while.

------------------
Old 05-12-2015, 01:24 PM   #7
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1540577
Thanked 2,047 Times in 1,311 Posts

i see the appeal to some of these functions, but i really think that learning to play keyboard has a lot of use.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 02:22 PM   #8
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 171760
Thanked 3,435 Times in 2,053 Posts

Yeah.

You will have a hard time climbing a mountain if you don't know which way is up.
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:29 PM   #9
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
i see the appeal to some of these functions, but i really think that learning to play keyboard has a lot of use.
Yep..that's true, but these DO help you in doing that..trust me, since getting the 61 key version, it's helped me with the basics when it comes to learning which keys make up which chords..just by watching the keys.

Having said that, I don't think anyone would be foolish enough to think getting one of these will replace learning to play. Mind you, I guess there are some who might..but that really isn't the point of the S series..they are just a tool, like any other out there, that helps you to make your music. It's up to YOU to improve your musical skills..not thinking you can delegate those same skills to some piece of tech..that would just be dumb and a disservice to yourself in the long term.

------------------
Old 05-12-2015, 11:30 PM   #10
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
Yeah.

You will have a hard time climbing a mountain if you don't know which way is up.
It ain't a mountain if it's easy to climb, dude..and going up is always hard for most of us.

------------------
Old 08-12-2015, 03:03 AM   #11
motox2121
Sample Destroyer
motox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MC
MC Status: 1118834

Hmm didnt think of that use for this keyboard, I think it would definitely help to learn scales / chord progressions, you can just loop the scale and follow along then you can start improvising on top of that.

Of course you can still do this with a regular keyboard but saves you from looking everything up one by one, save or download a set of clips with every scale and you wont leave your room for a while.

------------------
motox2121 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 03:29 AM   #12
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
. It's up to YOU to improve your musical skills..not thinking you can delegate those same skills to some piece of tech..that would just be dumb and a disservice to yourself in the long term.
Don't know... might go a long way for an amateur

------------------

Old 08-12-2015, 03:46 AM   #13
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by motox2121 View Post
Hmm didnt think of that use for this keyboard, I think it would definitely help to learn scales / chord progressions, you can just loop the scale and follow along then you can start improvising on top of that.

Of course you can still do this with a regular keyboard but saves you from looking everything up one by one, save or download a set of clips with every scale and you wont leave your room for a while.
Yeah..that's it exactly. Mind you, it's still a relatively new thing and it only really shows you which keys are being played..but I don't think it will be too long before some bright individual makes something like a Kontakt plug-in that shows you the actual notes on screen to go with the keys that are being lit up. Whoever comes out with that will really open this keyboard up to a whole new market.

------------------
Old 08-12-2015, 03:49 AM   #14
A.M

Quote:
Don't know... might go a long way for an amateur
It certainly does..but it won't teach you to play the keyboard as it currently stands..as in being able to learn the notes you're playing, as well as the keys you need to hit in order to play them. (See my last post before this..)

Like I said, it's early days for this thing and I'm sure it will be opened up a lot more in time..it's just begging to be.

Advertisements

------------------