Garageband seems limited. Anyone Agree?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 06-08-2017, 03:48 AM   #1
Markamus
IDMf's latest spammer
Markamus has a spectacular aura aboutMarkamus has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160
Garageband seems limited. Anyone Agree?

I started creating music a few months ago and I've been using garage band. It was pretty cool in the beginning but now it seems like it's very limited in regards to the different sounds. I tried messing around with Pro Tools but it was too different for me. Anyone know if Logic is a good transition from Garage Band?

Advertisements

Markamus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:39 AM   #2
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42388249
Thanked 5,085 Times in 3,316 Posts
Re: Garageband seems limited. Anyone Agree?

Aye, everyone outgrows their starter DAW if they keep at it and need something meatier.

I personally don't use Logic (or Macs) but the people I know that uses Logic seem pretty happy with it. Sorry can't give you much more than that.

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:26 PM   #3
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 52310
Thanked 1,046 Times in 771 Posts

I'm afraid I haven't used GarageBand, but I do use Logic. My workflow is probably different from others in that I only use Logic for recording and mixing and mastering.
What I would consider in your position is to look at several DAWs, which are quite likely to feel quite different. Check out which one works best for you. Keep in mind that they may or may not come with virtual instruments, and this could well tip the balance. Bitwig is often listed as a very sparse one. Logic comes with Absynth, Ableton Live comes pretty well equipped, but you do need to consider adding a good synth. Propellerhead's Reason comes fully loaded, but is rather unique (it emulates a hardware based studio, so you get to route cables, which actually gives a lot of flexibility). It does come with a good set of capable synths.

In the end, it has to suit your needs. Logic is rather cheap, while a fully loaded Ableton comes with all you need, but at 2.5x the cost. Try out a few and pick one.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 03:09 PM   #4
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 184160
Thanked 3,683 Times in 2,744 Posts

I recommend you check out [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
from MuTools..mainly because you might find the interface a little more less daunting that other DAWs out there, yet its a fully working DAW, that comes with its own synth/sampler, drum module, step sequencer and FX, plus built in instruments. It also comes with their MUX built into it, which is, as they say on their site, "..a high-quality and flexible modular synth and effects plugin."

Basically, I'm suggesting this, as I use it myself and can honestly tell you in makes a great step up from GB to the world of more complex DAWs, but has that ease of use you are more than likely used to with GB.

That said, I should point out that it IS a powerful full DAW in it's own right first and foremost, but the design makes it a bit easier to get your head around if you find DAWs a challenge in general.

It comes with built-in help docs and they have a forum over on KVR that's very active, where you can find fast help if you need it.

Oh..and it's one of the cheapest DAWs out there..which is a good thing, too.

I personally bought MuLab with the intention of using it to learn the basics of using a DAW, but then found it does basically everything that most other DAWs so and I've stuck with it ever since..no need to move elsewhere, as this have all my needs covered.

Give the demo a try and see if it's a good fit for you and your workflow.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
liquid_air (06-08-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 04:34 PM   #5
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389848
Thanked 2,828 Times in 1,763 Posts

Yeah, GarageBand is limited. It's supposed to be "limited". Even my dad think it is, and that's a sign.

Logic (and Cubase, Sonar, Reason, Ableton Live, Pro Tools, Studio One, Reaper, Digital Performer, Bitwig, etc) is alot more flexible.

Last edited by Evelon; 06-08-2017 at 04:49 PM..

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 06:38 AM   #6
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 41710

I've heard that the transition to Logic from Garbage Band is pretty much seamless, but can't verify.

On that note, now is the perfect time to avoid FL Studio, though
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Vault O)))
A.M (07-08-2017)
Old 15-08-2017, 04:30 AM   #7
Markamus
IDMf's latest spammer
Markamus has a spectacular aura aboutMarkamus has a spectacular aura about

Hey Thanks everyone for the information. I'll definitely keep an eye out for the DAW's such as Logic and MuTools. I really appreciate the help.
Markamus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Markamus
A.M (15-08-2017)
Old 18-08-2017, 11:00 AM   #8
SK-1
Regular Freak
SK-1 is a jewel in the roughSK-1 is a jewel in the roughSK-1 is a jewel in the roughSK-1 is a jewel in the rough
Tennessee
MC Status: 310

I started on Garageband four or five years ago, I switched to Ableton 8 not long after that. This year I worked in a studio and they had Logic Pro and I was impressed at the amount of sounds and functionality it had. Imo you would be able to switch very easily.
SK-1 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 11:33 AM   #9
soundmodel
Microknight
soundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant future
Finland
MC Status: 1810

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markamus View Post
I started creating music a few months ago and I've been using garage band. It was pretty cool in the beginning but now it seems like it's very limited in regards to the different sounds. I tried messing around with Pro Tools but it was too different for me. Anyone know if Logic is a good transition from Garage Band?
GB is a fun way to start. Even when I have better software available I've sometimes just played with GB for fun. It's a fun program to use.

But it's too limited for becoming intricate with editing. It doesn't have good audio, nor midi editing tools.

Logic would be a logical () choice, because it shares some interface similarities with GB.

There used to be Logic Express that was a nice middle-ground, but it was discontinued.

------------------
soundmodel is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 04:17 PM   #10
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8541230
Thanked 7,006 Times in 4,979 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post
I've heard that the transition to Logic from Garbage Band is pretty much seamless, but can't verify.

On that note, now is the perfect time to avoid FL Studio, though
FL Studio 4 lyfe brah.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 08:10 PM   #11
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269465258
Thanked 2,833 Times in 1,876 Posts

If you liked Garageband then Logic is a normal progression, shouldn't be too difficult, it's fairly priced and comes with a giant sound library.

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 12:02 AM   #12
Artimosmusic
Regular Freak
Artimosmusic is currently spamming hard
Gold Coast
MC Status: 10

I've used both mate and Garage band is like the starter version of logic for beginning producers. Pro tools to me is mainly for recording, mixing and mastering where as logic can do all that with the added bonus of easy to use composing tools. It comes with a massive sound bank and about 10 different synths with the ability to load in third party plugins and synths. It also comes with a multitude of FX but the coolest one is space designer a convolution reverb plugin that replicates reverb from an audio file. So you can record a hallway or room and it will replicate the reverb from that real world area. I've used Logic Pro for the last 7 years and have never looked back. The new Logic Pro X is $320 if you're wondering about price but it's totally worth it. Good luck on your journey and hope this helps.
Artimosmusic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 03:30 PM   #13
PrimeSuspect
Minor Glitch
PrimeSuspect has a spectacular aura aboutPrimeSuspect has a spectacular aura about

GarageBand is like FL Studio, divided by 3. For fun more, not for serious work

Advertisements

PrimeSuspect is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote