Official guide to mixing
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 19-07-2017, 01:02 AM   #1
Dablizz1
IDMf's latest spammer
Dablizz1 will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60
Official guide to mixing

Pls how do I get the official guide to mixing

Advertisements

Dablizz1 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Dablizz1
Lotus_Jewel (20-07-2017)
Old 19-07-2017, 01:31 AM   #2
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 169860
Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,535 Posts
Re: Official guide to mixing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dablizz1 View Post
Pls how do I get the official guide to mixing
Mixing what? Concrete?..Jam?

There's no "Official" guide to mixing..just people offering to teach you things, but it's always going to be an introduction at best. There's some basics you need to learn and then the rest is applying what you've learnt in different ways.

Learn the basics and then go and experiment.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
Lotus_Jewel (20-07-2017)
Old 19-07-2017, 02:05 AM   #3
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
envelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond repute
ottawa
MC Status: 6710

This book covers all the basics of recording. It's definitely worth reading to learn the fundamental concepts. The version I had in school was pre-digital era. lol. However, it looks like they've updated it.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
envelope3 is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 02:55 PM   #4
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8524780
Thanked 6,677 Times in 4,763 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by envelope3 View Post
This book covers all the basics of recording. It's definitely worth reading to learn the fundamental concepts. The version I had in school was pre-digital era. lol. However, it looks like they've updated it.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Read? You want me to read? Can't you just inject years of experience and talent building straight into my brain?

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 03:41 PM   #5
BoJoProductions
Minor Glitch
BoJoProductions is a jewel in the roughBoJoProductions is a jewel in the roughBoJoProductions is a jewel in the roughBoJoProductions is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 310

Do you know someone who already knows? Found its so helpful to have someone show you the ins and outs and go from there. Much better learning on the job in this scenario
BoJoProductions is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 04:12 PM   #6
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8524780
Thanked 6,677 Times in 4,763 Posts

As for a serious response: when I first started learning theory I asked a friend who is a long time piano teacher where I should start. She highly recommends that adulst with little to no training in theory or playing an instrument start with chords/harmony.

Most books begin with keys and scales. And while I see the logic there I'd had many false starts trying to learn that way. Learning chords/harmony kind of made the rest of it all make sense. I'm very far from an expert. But the musicality of my tunes has slowly gotten better the more I study harmony.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
Lotus_Jewel (20-07-2017)
Old 19-07-2017, 10:31 PM   #7
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45941381
Thanked 5,664 Times in 3,570 Posts

Send a SASE to:

Mutual of Omaha
Mutual of Omaha Plaza
Omaha, Nebraska 68175

------------------
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Numerical
Lotus_Jewel (20-07-2017)
Old 19-07-2017, 11:30 PM   #8
Vault O)))
Eternal Echoer
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
Public Enema #2
MC Status: 31460

I own the last copy. That'll be either $66.66 or your soul, preferably your soul

With love,

Satan

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 04:06 PM   #9
destinationsoun
Minor Glitch
destinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 760

Search your area for the best mixing engineer and study what they do. Become an intern. Plus you will make an industry relationship to further you goals later on.

If not that, then listen to albums you think sound good and tweak your stuff until it is in the ball park

P.s. If you live near San Francisco I can point you to some great studios.

Last edited by destinationsoun; 20-07-2017 at 04:20 PM..
destinationsoun is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 07:18 PM   #10
Lotus_Jewel
Radial Developer
Lotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond repute
Earth
MC Status: 2710

1. there are several downloadable pdfs online.... and your library, to save $

2. you cant just read a few guides or books and KNOW how to mix... thats half of it, the other half is experience. training your ears to listen to the difference and the subtle changes... this I find the most difficult to be honest.

I really like bob katz mixing and mastering guides... but we are talking about preference here.

What I found helpful for me, was this one guys tip which was to instead of making a song a week or a month... and spending a lot of time of that one project, try making a song a day from start to finish.

I know this may sound silly... but I can pump out all the sounds in a few hours, the arrangements in another few hours, 6-8 hours later I have the material... and am ready to mix it. Do this everyday for three months... and use low volumes, take breaks.

I improve my skills very quickly due to my personality or character etc... I work hard at it and do AMPLE research though always take variations and perspectives into account, I dont hold it for truth word to word and things may vary so dont discard something if it doesnt seem right to you.

After I did this, I found a tip from this woman, she said, when you have a bunch of projects mixed and you think they are ready, take them to a master engineer, and pay for the mastering but SIT IN with the engineer when they do the song YOU CHOOSE to pay for to master.

We are not talking about the 90 songs you did in 3 months practicing ... we are talking about when you learn from that, and then from there on, produce such product as your art. I think i threw away almost all of the projects i had in those first 90 days, and they sucked.... terribly. its just takes practice for the ears, but again best advice I have is LOW VOLUMES.... the less pressure wave you disperse into your room, the more your ears will love you.

Advertisements

Lotus_Jewel is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Lotus_Jewel
envelope3 (21-07-2017)