Bootlegging Lyrics
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 13-06-2017, 03:13 AM   #1
Derpgerpwalrus
Minor Glitch
Derpgerpwalrus is a jewel in the roughDerpgerpwalrus is a jewel in the roughDerpgerpwalrus is a jewel in the rough
Houston, TX
MC Status: 260
Bootlegging Lyrics

What's everyone's experiences with bootlegging vocals off of a track to remix?

Have you been successful isolating vox in the past? What methods have you used to isolate the vocals?
Have you found ways to make it fuller after isolating?

Because I apparently love suffering, I chose as my first remix ever to do a bootleg that although isn't a busy piece instrumentally, it has piano behind EVERY lyric.

I have the track in mono to help cut the width of the piano, I've got some pretty heavy EQ catching the piano harmonics and a high pass at about 600hz which is killing me. But I'm obviously having a seriously hard time getting some fullness in these vocals without bleeding the piano into it any lower than that.

Embarrassingly enough I wrote and finished writing this remix in about a week a month and a half ago and I've just been mixing for the rest of the time until now.

I'm really happy where my mix is at instrumentally, but as soon as I add these vocals in it makes the whole track feel incredibly thin again.

Any ideas past this?

Any additional votes for releasing an instrumental remix/cover and calling it a day?

Last edited by Derpgerpwalrus; 13-06-2017 at 03:13 AM.. Reason: Gramatical Error - derp

Advertisements

Derpgerpwalrus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 04:35 AM   #2
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8523830
Thanked 6,658 Times in 4,748 Posts
Re: Bootlegging Lyrics

I just crate dig for acapella vinyls. For anything before the turn of the century-ish its possible to find lots of Pop and Hip Hop acapellas.

I'm not sure there is a great way to isolate vocals. I've tried all the typical methods suggested online and never came up with much usable. Ive found enough vinyls and things on youtube to keep me in vocal parts. I'm always on the look out and don't discount anything. I also find listening to a variety of music helps keep me in fresh vocal parts. Just the more variety you listen to, the more sparse tunes you'll come acorss where you can isolate usable parts.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 03:47 PM   #3
-Agu-
Soundwave Mangler
-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute
Helsinki
MC Status: 4160

Never done it myself, but how I've heard it can be done is that you find an instrumental version of the tune and layer that on the top of the vocal version. Mess with the timing so that you get close to a perfect layer. Then flip the phase of the instrumental version, so most instruments on both versions more or less cancel each other out, except the vocals.

------------------
-Agu- is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 12:48 PM   #4
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18024119

i have never had great clean results when extracting anything from a mix and im pretty sure it is usually impossible to get perfectly clean results.

something i will suggest is rather than EQing parts out EQ parts in with a linear phase EQ on a phase inverted copy of the track.
so you basically have two of the same track, one with the phase inverted, then EQ out the parts you want to keep (the vocal harmonics) on one of those using a linear phase EQ.
the results tend to be nicer that way, im not sure why, im guessing because of the shape of the slope you end up with.

also, be prepared to spend a lot of time automating the bands

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 05:38 AM   #5
Derpgerpwalrus
Minor Glitch
Derpgerpwalrus is a jewel in the roughDerpgerpwalrus is a jewel in the roughDerpgerpwalrus is a jewel in the rough
Houston, TX
MC Status: 260

Some super interesting ideas here. Thanks for all the ideas. These invert isolation techniques I had never come across or even thought about, I watched a couple of videos and it blew my mind. Makes complete sense, but just really clever.

Thanks for the thoughts all, I'll definitely play with these ideas and see what comes from it.

Advertisements

Derpgerpwalrus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote