How do you make this lead sound?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 24-05-2017, 10:22 PM   #1
Kyrpto
Knob Twiddler
Kyrpto is just really niceKyrpto is just really niceKyrpto is just really niceKyrpto is just really nice
MC Status: 360
How do you make this lead sound?

How do you make the following lead sound at the 1:50 mark drop using Sylenth or Massive?

Advertisements

------------------
Kyrpto is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 08:38 AM   #2
-Agu-
Soundwave Mangler
-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute
Helsinki
MC Status: 4160
Re: How do you make this lead sound?

There are 2 sounds (at least) layered together. There's that pad that sounds like saw waves playing major chords. On the top there's a square wave lead with some spacial processing (unison/reverb/chorus etc.) and some pitch bend on the initial transient.

I wouldn't worry about the square wave lead. The pad underneath is what makes it sound big. The square wave thingy on the top just gives if definition and air.

------------------
-Agu- is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 06:19 PM   #3
Rvrsal
Minor Glitch
Rvrsal is a splendid one to beholdRvrsal is a splendid one to beholdRvrsal is a splendid one to beholdRvrsal is a splendid one to beholdRvrsal is a splendid one to beholdRvrsal is a splendid one to beholdRvrsal is a splendid one to beholdRvrsal is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 960

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Agu- View Post
There are 2 sounds (at least) layered together. There's that pad that sounds like saw waves playing major chords. On the top there's a square wave lead with some spacial processing (unison/reverb/chorus etc.) and some pitch bend on the initial transient.

I wouldn't worry about the square wave lead. The pad underneath is what makes it sound big. The square wave thingy on the top just gives if definition and air.
That's pretty much the gist of it IMO, I think the top sound is layered either with a vocal sample or some kind of additive formant synthesis to get the "aah" and "ooh" vowel sounds. If you use logic, alchemy is pretty good at that. Definitely layered with some kind of square wave though.

The lead also interchanges with saw stabs every four bars to create some variation.

For the pad underneath, I'm thinking powersaws (several voices of saws playing together with a slight detune, haven't seen a modern softsynths that can't do it) then lots of reverb
Rvrsal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 03:43 AM   #4
Kyrpto
Knob Twiddler
Kyrpto is just really niceKyrpto is just really niceKyrpto is just really niceKyrpto is just really nice
MC Status: 360

Thanks for the replies! I'll give it a shot and see how it goes.

Advertisements

------------------
Kyrpto is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Kyrpto
-Agu- (27-05-2017)