Is Warp Records a viable presence?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Intelligent Dance Music / Electronica IDM, braindance, ambient techno, electronica or whatever else you call Warp/Skam/Schematic/Planet-Mu/Rephlex/Raster-Noton type music goes here.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:50 AM   #1
thepilot
Granular Poster
thepilot is a glorious beacon of lightthepilot is a glorious beacon of lightthepilot is a glorious beacon of lightthepilot is a glorious beacon of lightthepilot is a glorious beacon of lightthepilot is a glorious beacon of light
Durham, North Carolina
MC Status: 517
Is Warp Records a viable presence?

Old guard notwithstanding, would you consider warp a viable / valid presence in propagating quality new electronic music?

Advertisements

thepilot is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to thepilot
djoxygen (30-05-2017)
Old 09-07-2015, 03:05 AM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8532880
Thanked 6,839 Times in 4,868 Posts
Re: Is warp a viable presence?

There is a mountain of great stuff out there that I think honestly stands up to Warp releases...I buy everything I can from Bandcamp and am more actively searching for new music more than I ever have before. I pretty much find something worth buying every time I spend more than an hour going down the rabbit hole. Warp is great, don't get me wrong...but I am not waiting around for them to plop out an album every now and again. And I thought they released some questionable stuff lately.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 06:22 AM   #3
dada_davros
IDMf Supporter
dada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MC
MC Status: 10510

I tend to agree with relic. Unless it's music by the big 3 (Squarepusher, aphex or Autechre) I find the Warp catalogue underwhelming. I understand their desire to reach a broader audience has driven a lot of their recent signings but it has also meant that their focus has been lost along the way.
Much more interested in the various offerings of Schematic or Detroit Underground or Bedroom Research, all of which have their stuff on Bandcamp.

------------------
dada_davros is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to dada_davros
A.M (05-03-2017)
Old 17-07-2015, 01:40 PM   #4
fidelium
IDMf Artist
fidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MC
\(_o)/
MC Status: 2147483647
Thanked 3,437 Times in 1,898 Posts

with mountains of respect to all those who run warp, not so much with new material. however they have released music that has changed my entire musical perspective. collectives and labels like that don't need to continuously release new new new, in fact I kind of like how complacent they seem to be. keep it up guys. buy me lunch.
fidelium is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to fidelium
A.M (05-03-2017)
Old 17-07-2015, 05:22 PM   #5
blvedream
Soundwave Mangler
blvedream is a name known to allblvedream is a name known to allblvedream is a name known to allblvedream is a name known to allblvedream is a name known to allblvedream is a name known to all
Texas
MC Status: 560

Warp is already legendary and massively influential, a few weak releases isn't really going to change that, unless the next 10 years is just nothing but garbage but I don't see that happening. The new squarepusher record is amazing and so is the new aphex twin, except that EP that came out earlier this year and the Future Brown record. HudMo's new record is decent even though he's made better stuff in the past.

So yeah, the new isn't as good as the old but I still look forward to hearing new releases from them even if i'm not a fan of everything.
blvedream is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 07:24 PM   #6
cane creek
Savage Mad Cunt
cane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MC
Middlesbrough
MC Status: 10531801

I remember like it was yesterday going into a record shop in 1989 and trying out a record by the forgemasters called track with no name, it was on warp/outer rhythm records.
They guy behind the counter said "is it doing anything for you ?" I said yes and bought it, I bought every warp release after that for the next 10 years.

I love warp but are pretty gutted with some of the indie style stuff they have released in recent years and think that is not what warp is about.

------------------
cane creek is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 06:17 PM   #7
Thetagram
Minor Glitch
Thetagram is a jewel in the roughThetagram is a jewel in the roughThetagram is a jewel in the rough
London
MC Status: 260
Re: Is Warp Records a viable presence?

Less so since they released stuff like Maximo Park
Thetagram is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 02:36 AM   #8
machine75
Regular Freak
machine75 will become famous soon enough
Wellington, New Zealand
MC Status: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepilot View Post
Old guard notwithstanding, would you consider warp a viable / valid presence in propagating quality new electronic music?
Nope. Like many others, I am a massive fan of Warp with an indecent proportion of their catalogue on the shelf, but sadly they lost their way by about 2003. It's not just the new signings, it's the almost total lack of anything new on the ideas front from the likes of Plaid, Squarepusher, and even, yep, Autechre (gasp!). They just seem to be going through the motions. Even 'Syro' is the only thing Aphex Twin has ever released that was a let down. From obsessively buying everything by these guys, I have given up on even listening - there's only so many times you can deal with the disappointment of a new album that appears completely pointless.

But it's cool, nothing last for ever and the older stuff still sounds great.

(Weirdly, after a couple of missteps BoC have come back strong, I though Tomorrow's Harvest was as good as anything they've done.)

Last edited by machine75; 06-03-2016 at 07:24 AM..
machine75 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:50 AM   #9
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 36100
Thanked 4,155 Times in 2,711 Posts

Yep, they're still releasing great electronic stuff, OPN's recent Warp releases come to mind. They retain essentially the exact same alumni (Aphex, BoC, Squarepusher, Clark, Autechre, Plaid, Flying Lotus, Prefuse 73). I understand that might start to get boring for some casual listeners but it's quite an accomplishment in my perspective, from a label.

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to PROton42
A.M (05-03-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 08:08 AM   #10
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 173460
Thanked 3,469 Times in 2,592 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROton42 View Post
Yep, they're still releasing great electronic stuff, OPN's recent Warp releases come to mind. They retain essentially the exact same alumni (Aphex, BoC, Squarepusher, Clark, Autechre, Plaid, Flying Lotus, Prefuse 73). I understand that might start to get boring for some casual listeners but it's quite an accomplishment in my perspective, from a label.
Even though I agree with what the rest of the guys have said here, I have to totally agree with Proton..as labels go, warp's kinda unique tbh. It's managed to stay in the game when others have fallen by the way and, granted, they might have diversified a little over recent years, but I think they're as strong as ever.

I guess the real litmus test is what does that voice in your head say, when you ask yourself if you'd like to have your own work released by them?

Yeah..me, too.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
PROton42 (05-03-2017)
Old 30-05-2017, 12:36 AM   #11
djoxygen
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
djoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MC
Fuck you nosy cunt... lol USA
MC Status: 9390479

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepilot View Post
i would say warp is the pioneer of bridging the gap between underground/obscure & relevant/cultural/mainstream. warp in the 90's was unknown- today- warp has some incredible power in mainstream industries specifically film-based material. it is truly inspiring how that company went from nothing to something- i would call warp records the "jayz of experimental music"

------------------
>>>DJ OXYGEN<<<
>>>JOIN OR DIE<<<

"and the decades of what appears to have been unnecessary fearmongering"
djoxygen is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to djoxygen
A.M (30-05-2017)
Old 31-05-2017, 12:24 PM   #12
fidelium
IDMf Artist
fidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MC
\(_o)/
MC Status: 2147483647
Thanked 3,437 Times in 1,898 Posts

!!!
fidelium is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:50 PM   #13
Caoutchou
Minor Glitch
Caoutchou will become famous soon enoughCaoutchou will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
And I thought they released some questionable stuff lately.
Such as?

Advertisements

Caoutchou is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote