[Lofi Beats] AsylumSeaker - Lofi jam 110318
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 14-03-2018, 01:37 AM   #1
AsylumSeaker
Master of the LFO
AsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MC
MC Status: 245853
[Lofi Beats] AsylumSeaker - Lofi jam 110318

So, this is a straight recording of a jam.. skip through if you like, its a bit slow.

Drums are from the Drumbrute, through some analogue filters. The other sound is a few seconds of the Apocalypse Now soundtrack loaded into the Make Noise Morphagene, which is a sampler module designed to mimic in approach a mid 20th century tape studio. I've got a CDJ running into it and I've been having a lot of fun sampling my old cd collection.

Advertisements

AsylumSeaker is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [Lofi Beats] AsylumSeaker - Lofi jam 110318.
Old 14-03-2018, 06:12 AM   #2
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5746293
Re: [Lofi Beats] AsylumSeaker - Lofi jam 110318

I really like the story behind what you're making. Like the instrument and samples used to create the project, is interesting but that's where it is faulted in my opinion. I also wouldn't say "lofi" in this case. There are some issues.

This mix sounds like it suffers more from over-gaining in whatever fashion you've done it. It sounds mix-wide rather than one single sample or track within the project. Which, I think I've experienced this quite a bit in the past, myself.

So basically you're working on this project. You have no basis for what the loudness of the project if because you're getting started in your endeavors(or whatever really). So you want to make sure it's louder for someone else to hear. You comp/gain/utility/gain....etc etc. But you're mixing at a very low level but it's hidden by the ability to over crank your monitors. I've done this plenty.

So when I go to turn the mix back up, I can't get it loud wihtout a bunch of background noise. Because I'm basically raising the "floor" for noise.

Additionally, sometimes a single track can be made louder and then to help with the floor of the one "track" it can be hi passed, tucked behind something else. But when it is mix-wide, it's diffcult, degrading to the overall mix and even impossible to alleviate.

If I'm wrong, I'm sorry but from my experience it's something above and it feels mix-wide. But it could literally be related to one sample or live recording taken at such a low level, it's burning the whole mix.

If you have any questions, definitely shoot me a PM. I'm just a hobbyist but I'll see what I can help you with. There are also a lot of better people than me, with much more technical info than I have.

------------------
Say :|

bbb is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 04:55 AM   #3
AsylumSeaker
Master of the LFO
AsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MC
MC Status: 245853

Yeah nah.. the way I mixed it was by leaning my tablet up against my left monitor and recording from the mic. Then I uploaded the result without any post-processing. That's what I mean by lofi, I mean low fidelity But thanks for the considerate reply. I just didnt have my zoom recorder with me which is what I'd usually record onto when my laptop is not at my studio.. so tablet it was. Examples of jams recorded more properly:

AsylumSeaker is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 05:15 AM   #4
White Noise
IDMf Artist
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 28310

Yeah, tbh only thing wrong here is that room noise/ volume variation. I actually thought the idea for the volume variation was cool, just a little overdone. My guess is record closer to the speaker and this would've been money, unless that was just totally overloading the mic.

Advertisements

------------------
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote