Any way to imitate a seaboard?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 09-02-2018, 02:15 PM   #1
pkreegi
Sample Destroyer
pkreegi has a brilliant futurepkreegi has a brilliant futurepkreegi has a brilliant futurepkreegi has a brilliant futurepkreegi has a brilliant futurepkreegi has a brilliant futurepkreegi has a brilliant futurepkreegi has a brilliant futurepkreegi has a brilliant futurepkreegi has a brilliant futurepkreegi has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1510
Any way to imitate a seaboard?

Now seriosly, this sound just rock my pants off in the middle of the night. Although my pants were already off.. Well, it started flying around the room like Harry Potter's broom.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

I understand that "drawing" such pitch bends could be a HELL of a work, but how about recreating this synth ? It could very well be that my google skills are below any level, but i did not manage to find any tutorials or anything of how to recreate this sound... ? Any help here?

The tune is amazing, i'm already working on making this into progressive house

Advertisements

pkreegi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 03:30 PM   #2
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 199760
Thanked 3,995 Times in 2,971 Posts
Re: Any way to imitate a seaboard?

Mod wheel / strip..Pitch Bend wheel / strip and sustain pedal..plus a little practice combining all three will obviously do it in real time for you. If you're playing skills aren't so hot, then record the piece "bit by bit" and edit it all together later. I know this is not really the answer you're looking for, but seriously, it's not that hard to do and just needs a little practice time to get good at doing live.

As for if there are VSTs out there that can create this kind of sound..the answer is all of them..most will come with some preset that comes close..usually a string sample or pad..and practically all had ADSR, so you can replicate the sustain pedal somewhat to good effect.

AS for the sound in the clip you linked to..any basic steel strings sample should get you pretty close to that sound, with a little reverb added.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
pkreegi (10-02-2018)
Old 09-02-2018, 06:34 PM   #3
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8564380
Thanked 7,469 Times in 5,274 Posts

If I were going to try to recreate what the Seaboard is doing I’d record/program the MIDI then set the wheels/strips as AM suggests. That way the computer will play the keys while you just concentrate on getting the automation right. I work pretty regularly this way with my hardware synths.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 01:10 AM   #4
pkreegi
Sample Destroyer
pkreegi has a brilliant futurepkreegi has a brilliant futurepkreegi has a brilliant futurepkreegi has a brilliant futurepkreegi has a brilliant futurepkreegi has a brilliant futurepkreegi has a brilliant futurepkreegi has a brilliant futurepkreegi has a brilliant futurepkreegi has a brilliant futurepkreegi has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1510

Thanks a lot, I think the steel strings was the closest answer to my question
pkreegi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 02:41 AM   #5
Schnork
IDMf Artist
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC
MC Status: 19910

The Roli Block Seaboard isn't so expensive compared to the Seaboard Rise models. It lacks the faders and touch pad, basically it's just the keys but it's just 300 bucks.
And there are other Blocks to add features.
Anyone of you guys has the Blocks model of Seaboard?

------------------
Schnork is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:27 PM   #6
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 199760
Thanked 3,995 Times in 2,971 Posts

Nope..but I do have dreams..BIG dreams...big EXPENSIVE dreams.

Advertisements

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
liquid_air (11-02-2018)