Need dirty/unique vsti suggestions
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Go Back Ľ The Studio Ľ The Studio
Old 23-12-2017, 06:33 AM   #1
Theoctavist
Regular Freak
Theoctavist is just really niceTheoctavist is just really niceTheoctavist is just really niceTheoctavist is just really nice
MC Status: 360
Need dirty/unique vsti suggestions

My current go to instruments are herc abakos, phonec, marazmator, pastoral tones , oatmeal, mralias pro, dirty Harry, and the newest opxii vsti. Influences are Jim o Rourke,Damien jurado, Radiohead, neu, Wilco, brothomstates, BoC, mouse on Mars, Townes van zandt and William basinski. I do not like dune, serum, or the NI stuff. Looking for lowish fidelity, tape hissy, " character" stuff. Weird is good too. Thank yall;!

Advertisements

Theoctavist is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 06:39 AM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8564380
Thanked 7,469 Times in 5,274 Posts
Re: Need dirty/unique vsti suggestions

U he Satin. The Interruptor Wow n Flutter. D16 Devestator and Demicort. Dirty vinyl noise samples.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 07:06 AM   #3
White Noise
IDMf Artist
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 28210

Anything you can get based on a mellotron.

------------------
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 02:20 PM   #4
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 176060
Thanked 3,521 Times in 2,099 Posts

Use the same synths but run them through speakers and mic those speakers, layer that. Reamping, is what it's called.
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 02:42 PM   #5
FTD
IDMf Artist
FTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MC
MC Status: 3464855

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
The Interruptor Wow n Flutter.
Great plug in, this. Find it sneaks it's way into things a lot.

------------------
FTD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to FTD
relic (23-12-2017)
Old 23-12-2017, 05:08 PM   #6
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 64160
Thanked 1,283 Times in 946 Posts

Bazille by U-He is great. It has a built in distortion and if you run it through a bit crusher itíll be a great choice. One of the finest semi-modular synth VSTs. For specific uses, check out Arturiaís V Collection with its Model D, Rhodes, Wurlitzer, SEM, and Buchla emulations. There are plenty of tape hiss emulators and vinyl crackle plugs as well as sample packs, so you can make it sound like coming from a cheap iron oxide tape thatís been sitting in the car under the southern sun.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 05:15 PM   #7
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse

If you're looking to get the effect you want right out of the sound source, then modular environments are the way. They are the instruments that will let you find your own very idiosyncratic ways of patching things to get something truly unique, characterful, simple yet complex at the same time.
Thanks to thom
relic (23-12-2017)
Old 23-12-2017, 05:36 PM   #8
relic
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
Use the same synths but run them through speakers and mic those speakers, layer that. Reamping, is what it's called.
I've meant to try this for ages, but its high on the list for things to try over my long holiday from Uni...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTD View Post
Great plug in, this. Find it sneaks it's way into things a lot.
Not that it doesn't have a pretty good following, but I don't know how everyone and their gran isn't using this FREE plug in...deceptively simple and a lot of textures hidden in subtle knob tweaks.

------------------
Thanks to relic
A.M (25-01-2018)
Old 23-12-2017, 07:25 PM   #9
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny

Quote:
If you're looking to get the effect you want right out of the sound source, then modular environments are the way. They are the instruments that will let you find your own very idiosyncratic ways of patching things to get something truly unique, characterful, simple yet complex at the same time.
And itís also an addictive money pit.

------------------

Old 23-12-2017, 08:10 PM   #10
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
Nouvelle Franse

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
And it’s also an addictive money pit.
Well... I mean sure having a huge wall of modules... is one thing.

But be it in a software or hardware modular environment, I find the mental processes, the inner language you develop when intellectualizing what you want to hear and then patch things around is the saaaame. The interfacing is different. That's it, though. I did play for countless hours with the three cases that my once neighbors had. I always loved reaktor but I wanted something a bit more immediate so I was sent a nord modular by god himself (but that's another story). I never seriously gassed for a eurorack case since. Worst it got was when the 0-coast came out. Which I would still very much like to get one day.

The liberty of loading any set of modules is just soo... awesome. And since getting the touchscreen... it's an order of magnitude awesomer.

I'm a bit frustrated with VCV Rack because the knobs don't respond well to touchscreens and it's the only reason why I'm still eyeing Softube's package. Argh. Though a new version came out. Need to check that.

SO yeah be it Reaktor, VCV, Solorack, Softube's Modular, Oscillot, the Nord, the Nord G2 demo (arguably the most powerful freeware synth available, absolute ninja of a sampler fodder generator, sounds in-cre-di-ble)... you invariably get that "liberty", that flexibility. In fact, depending on what kind of of sounds you fantasize about, a digital environment might be the only possible solution.
Old 23-12-2017, 08:19 PM   #11
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
Nouvelle Franse

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I've meant to try this for ages, but its high on the list for things to try over my long holiday from Uni...
You'll see. It's a quick way to get a much livelier, jumps-out-of-the-speaker sort of presence. You often need to filter shit around and chek ur phase.

It makes things sound analog as fuck.

I accept paypal.
Thanks to thom
relic (23-12-2017)
Old 23-12-2017, 08:28 PM   #12
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
You'll see. It's a quick way to get a much livelier, jumps-out-of-the-speaker sort of presence. You often need to filter shit around and chek ur phase.

It makes things sound analog as fuck.

I accept paypal.
Cool man. I appreciates the tips.

------------------
Old 23-12-2017, 08:39 PM   #13
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
Nouvelle Franse

ANY speaker, by the way. Anything that has an input and an output/speakers, try! Chain them up, even. You'll get all kinds of non-linearities that you can layer to your dry signal.

*thinks*

You know what's fucking funny? Manufacturers go out of their bloody ways to recreate old processors be it through software emulations or hardware re-issues... And people shell out tons of cash for a high end plug or rack unit that will give give them that subtle, let us face it, VERY subtle difference... provided you don't abuse the shit out of it and make it's quirks come out a bit more audibly. And if abusing, getting all kinds of harmonic distortion is you plan anyway, then it is worth noting that distortion, non-linearities, coloring... these are all like ice cream flavors. It's just hilarious to me that people pay money for that when engineers strive for precision, transparency etc...

Not sure where I was going with this but anyway... have fun.
Old 23-12-2017, 10:28 PM   #14
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Quote:
Well... I mean sure having a huge wall of modules... is one thing.

But be it in a software or hardware modular environment, I find the mental processes, the inner language you develop when intellectualizing what you want to hear and then patch things around is the saaaame. The interfacing is different. That's it, though. I did play for countless hours with the three cases that my once neighbors had. I always loved reaktor but I wanted something a bit more immediate so I was sent a nord modular by god himself (but that's another story). I never seriously gassed for a eurorack case since. Worst it got was when the 0-coast came out. Which I would still very much like to get one day.

The liberty of loading any set of modules is just soo... awesome. And since getting the touchscreen... it's an order of magnitude awesomer.

I'm a bit frustrated with VCV Rack because the knobs don't respond well to touchscreens and it's the only reason why I'm still eyeing Softube's package. Argh. Though a new version came out. Need to check that.

SO yeah be it Reaktor, VCV, Solorack, Softube's Modular, Oscillot, the Nord, the Nord G2 demo (arguably the most powerful freeware synth available, absolute ninja of a sampler fodder generator, sounds in-cre-di-ble)... you invariably get that "liberty", that flexibility. In fact, depending on what kind of of sounds you fantasize about, a digital environment might be the only possible solution.
Iíd love me a eurorack. Iíve got a $5 k shopping list. Iíve held off.

------------------

Thanks to liquid_air
thom (23-12-2017)
Old 23-12-2017, 10:43 PM   #15
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
Nouvelle Franse

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
Iíve held off.

Sounds nice.
Thanks to thom
liquid_air (24-12-2017)
Old 30-12-2017, 12:11 AM   #16
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 32660

Posting this here instead of creating a new thread, so here we go
I would like to try and do the old tape trick of pitch shifting down by slowing the play back speed, record at a lower pitch and speed back up again, see if that creates interesting artifacts.
Any ideas if there are plugins or ways to emulate that itb?
Thx.
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 12:49 AM   #17
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1541827
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbvdb493 View Post
Posting this here instead of creating a new thread, so here we go
I would like to try and do the old tape trick of pitch shifting down by slowing the play back speed, record at a lower pitch and speed back up again, see if that creates interesting artifacts.
Any ideas if there are plugins or ways to emulate that itb?
Thx.

record stuff at 48k and play it back at 44.1, or use the Re-Pitch warp mode in Ableton, track at a higher speed, play back slower.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
jbvdb493 (30-12-2017)
Old 30-12-2017, 01:46 AM   #18
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Oh, man. You just gotta get a reel-2-reel.

------------------

Old 30-12-2017, 01:53 AM   #19
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Get an old mackie mixer and record some of your tracks through an overdriven channel.

------------------
Old 01-01-2018, 03:44 PM   #20
Grids/Units/Planes
IDMf Artist
Grids/Units/Planes is a savage MCGrids/Units/Planes is a savage MCGrids/Units/Planes is a savage MCGrids/Units/Planes is a savage MCGrids/Units/Planes is a savage MCGrids/Units/Planes is a savage MCGrids/Units/Planes is a savage MCGrids/Units/Planes is a savage MCGrids/Units/Planes is a savage MCGrids/Units/Planes is a savage MCGrids/Units/Planes is a savage MC
Brisbane
MC Status: 11274

Free VSTi - Chimera. My favourite VSTi

Advertisements

------------------
Grids/Units/Planes is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Grids/Units/Planes
relic (02-01-2018)