Quitting Smoking (not really) Electronic cigarettes
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 11-01-2010, 01:10 PM   #1
Curios
Sample Destroyer
Curios is a savage MCCurios is a savage MCCurios is a savage MCCurios is a savage MCCurios is a savage MCCurios is a savage MCCurios is a savage MCCurios is a savage MCCurios is a savage MCCurios is a savage MCCurios is a savage MC
Philadelphia, PA
MC Status: 1850373
Quitting Smoking (not really) Electronic cigarettes

Hey,

I recently just ordered an electric cigarette after reading several articles about them. Does anyone have any experience with them?

I really really enjoy smoking cigarettes but am really frustrated that I can't rationalize why I do it (i.e. it's bad for me and such). It's just super enjoyable to me and not exactly a fundamental part of my production process but kind of a means of pacing myself and reflecting on bits.
I read that e-cigs can be an easy transition for people who have been smoking for a while and is cancer-free. It contains nicotine which is not a carcinogen (though it's not exactly good for you) but it doesn't contain any tobacco.
Pros:
--Cancer-free (this really seems to be the case nothing's smoked just vaporized water and nicotine and flavor)
--No Tar
--Odorless (well there's supposed to be an odor just very faint and not a cigarette)
--Cheaper ($10 a pack here in NYC though I've been rolling my own)
--potentially slips through the whole smoking ban because you're not actually smoking tobacco so you might be able to smoke indoors (might just be a US issue)

Cons:
--I have absolutely no experience with this stuff. I wonder if it's all just BS
--It's weird. To go from rolling my own to smoking an electronic cigarette seems so outlandish.

What are your opinions? Do you think it's absurd? (the non-smokers might have a field day with this one) ultimately, if I could continue to retain my smoking habit I would be happy and the health benefits makes it seem like it might make sense. Also, there's a 'mint black tea' which just sounds awesome to be able to 'smoke' (vaporize) while walking through the streets this winter.

E.

Advertisements

Curios is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:29 PM   #2
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
Vlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MC
In the corn.
MC Status: 421867929
Thanked 4,799 Times in 2,777 Posts
Re: Quitting Smoking (not really) Electronic cigarettes

The only thing I don't like about e-cigarettes is the fact that you can't really feel anything when you inhale.

------------------
Pay-what-you-want albums at bandcamp.
Soundcloud
Facebook
Vlantis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:03 PM   #3
Curios
Sample Destroyer
Curios is a savage MCCurios is a savage MCCurios is a savage MCCurios is a savage MCCurios is a savage MCCurios is a savage MCCurios is a savage MCCurios is a savage MCCurios is a savage MCCurios is a savage MCCurios is a savage MC
Philadelphia, PA

Yeah. That's one of my major worries. A good number of people speak really highly of it. There's a rating system for the 'throat hit' as they call it, but I'm not really going to know until it arrives.

I'd really enjoy the aural fixation of smoking, it makes it really difficult to even try to quit. It seems too good to be true if I could 'smoke' AND avoid the really unpleasant facets of tobacco cigarettes. Things don't work that way, right?
Old 11-02-2010, 02:40 AM   #4
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
Vlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MC
In the corn.

Totally! I can't review my mixes without smoking.

------------------
Soundcloud
Facebook
Old 11-02-2010, 03:19 AM   #5
oly
oly is a savage MColy is a savage MColy is a savage MColy is a savage MColy is a savage MColy is a savage MColy is a savage MColy is a savage MColy is a savage MColy is a savage MColy is a savage MC
Edmontontontontonton
MC Status: 471669251
Thanked 2,398 Times in 1,651 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curios View Post
Yeah. That's one of my major worries. A good number of people speak really highly of it. There's a rating system for the 'throat hit' as they call it, but I'm not really going to know until it arrives.

I'd really enjoy the aural fixation of smoking, it makes it really difficult to even try to quit. It seems too good to be true if I could 'smoke' AND avoid the really unpleasant facets of tobacco cigarettes. Things don't work that way, right?
Oral fixation.

Aural is ears, sounds, oral is mouth.

Take it from someone who really does have one. :B

Also, start smoking pot instead?

------------------
oly is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:11 PM   #6
Curios
Sample Destroyer
Philadelphia, PA

@ ghytwembpang Yeah that's right thanks for the oral/aural correction.

And I definitely already smoke. Increasing would be prob not wise of me. And that's kind of the thing. Cigarettes give me a part of the joy of smoking weed--i.e. smoking. But I really can't get high all the time. (as I load my bong). I'm a philosophy major and reading most philosophy high is really valueless.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:56 PM   #7
drdevice
drdevice is a savage MCdrdevice is a savage MCdrdevice is a savage MCdrdevice is a savage MCdrdevice is a savage MCdrdevice is a savage MCdrdevice is a savage MCdrdevice is a savage MCdrdevice is a savage MCdrdevice is a savage MCdrdevice is a savage MC
Philly
MC Status: 9379425

I have a friend who has the Blu E cig though he still smokes regular cigs too. If you are really set on quitting, the E cig can be a way to alleviate stress brought on by nicotine withdrawal from not smoking cigs. I sort of look at it like nicorette and nicotene patches: these products can be enormously effective with long term smokers who are really addicted, however if you have only been a not as heavy smoker, a nicotine patch can absolutely wreck you. Same for the E cig. For long term smokers really determined to quit, it can be a godsend. For others, it can have the ability to draw them back into smoking real cigs again. Regardless, the E Cig is a cool product that I thought was BS until I saw it in person.

------------------
drdevice is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:00 PM   #8
Fox
Fox is a savage MCFox is a savage MCFox is a savage MCFox is a savage MCFox is a savage MCFox is a savage MCFox is a savage MCFox is a savage MCFox is a savage MCFox is a savage MCFox is a savage MC
Brussels
MC Status: 24820658

I've tried a electronic cigar and honestly....... it's crap
Thgat was 2 years ago so maybe they've improved the system a bit in the meanwhile

Dunno about the ciggies tho.
I took the plane 2 weeks ago to go to Sicily for a week with Ryanair, and they were selling electric cigs.
Quite weird to see, not used to see people 'smoking' in a plane anymore ^^

------------------
Fox is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:18 PM   #9
Curios
Sample Destroyer
Philadelphia, PA

I started smoking 4 or 5 years ago. I'm smoking about 12 a day. I don't want to increase that.

In the future will everyone smoke electronic cigarettes? It's like science fiction. Do you think you'd be able to 'smoke' these in space because there's no flame in a vaporizer?
Old 11-02-2010, 10:36 PM   #10
Fox
Fox is a savage MCFox is a savage MCFox is a savage MCFox is a savage MCFox is a savage MCFox is a savage MCFox is a savage MCFox is a savage MCFox is a savage MCFox is a savage MCFox is a savage MC
Brussels

like if that was the main problem.....

remember you'll first have to remove your helmet

u meant Vaccuum right? never heard of vaporizer in that sense

------------------
Old 11-02-2010, 10:45 PM   #11
Curios
Sample Destroyer
Philadelphia, PA

Well not actually floating in space. But like at within the spaceship. Isn't there the issue of lighting a flame in an oxygen rich environment? I really have no understanding of space travel at all. Just musing about sci-fi movies.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:48 PM   #12
Fox
Brussels

not aware of that....
I don't think that's the mean reason why you never see Nasa astronauts smoke a ciggie after diner

------------------
Old 11-03-2010, 12:57 PM   #13
agreth
Master of the LFO
agreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MC
Sydney
MC Status: 1465792

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
I took the plane 2 weeks ago to go to Sicily for a week with Ryanair, and they were selling electric cigs.
damn ryanair have some scam savvy people working for them haha. very clever.

surely electronic cigarettes defeat the whole purpose of smoking though...to look like a legend.
agreth is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:15 PM   #14
Curios
Sample Destroyer
Philadelphia, PA

Alright. Update.

the electronic cigarette was delivered and I've been using it about a week now. My first impressions are quite good. I've smoked about 12 or so tobacco cigarettes since I got it, which is really great for me. I was smoking about 12 a day so.... yeah.

It's not exactly the same sensation but it's pretty damn close. My feelings on the matter were: If it sucked, so be it. I'll pick up a pack of normal cigs. But I've been pretty happy. It def hits the spot and really satiates my desire to smoke.

All in all. I really impressed. I wasn't expecting anything good. But I'm quite surprised by how well it's working and how easy it is to avoid real cigs. I actually feel a bit healthier after one week.

Final note: people keep toting that they've "quit smoking" for 4 months or whatever. A lot of people are patting themselves on the back for that. I guess i just want to point out that the switch is quite easy. You're still hooked to the nicotine and you're still getting it. There's really not too much effort of willpower involved. I acknowledge it. I'm just happy to be avoiding a good bit of the unpleasant facets of smoking cigarettes.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:35 PM   #15
Guesse
Regular Freak
Guesse is on a distinguished road
MC Status: 10

Curious,

I smoke for 4/5 years and I want to quit it. My Health is in dangerous, it is unhealthy, and all other things you know. Don't you feel nothing with the e-cigarrete on the mouth/throat? Do you recommend it for someone that, at least, want to quit cigars?

Cheers
Guesse is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:44 PM   #16
Fox
Brussels

you don't feel a thing.... and that's why I hated it, because if there's something I enjoyed while smoking it was the feeling of smoke going down your throat

but anyway, I quit cold turkey in FEB 2010, and haven't smoked anything since then
Way better than the smokeless cigs

------------------
Old 11-08-2010, 09:35 PM   #17
Curios
Sample Destroyer
Philadelphia, PA

I disagree with Fox. You do feel something. While it's not quite the same it is satisfying. Regarding Fox's comments about the feeling of smoke going down you throat, You do feel something going down you're throat.

Honestly, you need to take a longer (and maybe stronger) drag than a normal cigarette but you do inhale it into your lungs. It's not quite the same but it's really not that far off. Also, different machines work differently and thus some are jenky and some work much better.

Regarding the cigars, I couldn't say. I've smoked various herbs and tobacco from a various array of devices and cigars was the one thing that didn't make sense to me. I don't like that you aren't encouraged to inhale. I'm used to inhaling so cigars are just frustrating. That beings said. I have seen pictures of 'cigar' electronic cigarette. Can't comment on the quality.

Would I recommend it?
I dunno. I've been smoking 4-5 yrs about 12-13 a day until now. I have no deep-seated ambition to quit smoking. I wanted to see if there was 'healthier' alternative so I could avoid some of the negative aspects of smoking without quitting.

Ultimately... to each their own

or alternatively..... follow your heart
Old 11-09-2010, 12:40 AM   #18
Fox
Brussels

btw, I was talking about the cigars, I haven't tried the cigarettes.
And sure, there's a feeling of vapor going down your throat, but that was it for me.... wasn't just enough.

But maybe they've improved a bit, that was 2 or 3 years ago

But this is defo a healthier alternative, afaik it's not bad at all, sine there's absolutely no real smoke

------------------
Old 11-09-2010, 02:01 PM   #19
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
In the corn.

Damn, I REALLY kind of want an e-cig now, to bad they're kinda wonky here in Japan. Way too overpriced, for one thing.

I think tomorrow I'm going to head to the city and pick up come herbal cigs. I know they're not 100% good for you, but they should at least be better than what I'm smoking now. They taste like shit, but don't normal cigarettes taste like shit?

------------------
Soundcloud
Facebook
Old 11-10-2010, 12:00 AM   #20
depaffect
Soundwave Mangler
depaffect is a savage MCdepaffect is a savage MCdepaffect is a savage MCdepaffect is a savage MCdepaffect is a savage MCdepaffect is a savage MCdepaffect is a savage MCdepaffect is a savage MCdepaffect is a savage MCdepaffect is a savage MCdepaffect is a savage MC
Melbourne
MC Status: 853440

i been e-cigging for about 3 months now okay, to be honest, i still smoke real ones on weekends. but starting to cut down on that

grab a 510 starter kit with some ejuice and you're ready to rock. i just use the dekang juice but it's quite crap apparently compared with some others (in terms of flavour)

it's not the same as smokign a real cigarette but you definitely get a throat hit and it is satisfying. you just need to learn the new ritual and embrace it!

Advertisements

------------------
depaffect is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote