Vaporwave, noise, and drone tuts
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements


Reply
Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2015, 10:52 AM   #1
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
Posts: 6,768
MC Status: 153310
Thanks: 3,344
Thanked 3,066 Times in 2,150 Posts
Vaporwave, noise, and drone tuts

I deleted my shittier tutorials for this installment. Hope someone likes them or something.

Advertisements

Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 06:05 PM   #2
MonoReaction
Granular Poster
MonoReaction is a name known to allMonoReaction is a name known to allMonoReaction is a name known to allMonoReaction is a name known to allMonoReaction is a name known to allMonoReaction is a name known to all
Brasília
Posts: 56
MC Status: 560
Thanks: 10
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Re: Vaporwave, Noise, and Drone Tut's

Cool tutorials, specially the drone and noise. I had never thought of making noise using granular synthesis. Man, i have to say that granulator is such a lovely device.

------------------
MonoReaction is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:24 PM   #3
TL072
Master of the LFO
TL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond repute
Posts: 465
MC Status: 5910
Thanks: 102
Thanked 118 Times in 91 Posts
Re: Vaporwave, Noise, and Drone Tut's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
I deleted my shittier tutorials for this installment. Hope someone likes them or something.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]


THE VAPORWAVE MACHINE (HOW TO MAKE 'ORIGINAL' PLUNDERPHONICS)

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]


INSTANT DRONE MACHINE (HOW TO MAKE AMBIANCE FROM OLD STEMS)

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]


VENGEANCE NOISE RIG (HOW TO MAKE NOISE FROM VENGEANCE SAMPLES)
Nice vaporwave man. I am just missing a sexy sax line.
TL072 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:24 PM   #4
Nystagmus
Someone who cares
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Nystagmus's Avatar
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
Posts: 3,751
MC Status: 64060
Thanks: 3,298
Thanked 1,281 Times in 967 Posts
Re: Vaporwave, Noise, and Drone Tut's

nice tutorials. i don't use live, but it's still educational.

What is Vaporwave anyhow?

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 05:43 PM   #5
TL072
Master of the LFO
TL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond repute
Posts: 465
MC Status: 5910
Thanks: 102
Thanked 118 Times in 91 Posts
Re: Vaporwave, Noise, and Drone Tut's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nystagmus View Post
nice tutorials. i don't use live, but it's still educational.

What is Vaporwave anyhow?
A lot could be said about this question, but in practical terms mainly chopped and screwed muzak and corporate jingles from the 80s and 90s. Also heavily slowed down and VHS noise and/or lofi-ness added to make it sound like crap. Lots of nauseating 90s colour palettes and fake nostalgic imagery.

As you can imagine, a lot of it is hideous, but for some reason feels really good to listen to in the way that listening to breakore feels good to listen to.

Here is one of my favourite tracks (album is free and pretty representative in a way):
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
TL072 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to TL072
Nystagmus (10-17-2015)
Old 10-17-2015, 06:37 PM   #6
lw_pss
Soundscaper
lw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MC
lw_pss's Avatar
Yekaterinburg
Age: 22
Posts: 334
MC Status: 528458
Thanks: 18
Thanked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Re: Vaporwave, Noise, and Drone Tut's


------------------
lw_pss is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:38 PM   #7
Lu-Cuss
Minor Glitch
Lu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud of
Lu-Cuss's Avatar
The Wired
Posts: 49
MC Status: 1360
Thanks: 6
Thanked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Re: Vaporwave, Noise, and Drone Tut's

You also inadvertently made a ton of old-school fighting game sound effects in the harsh noise video. Thanks for these though. I wish I had Max for Live so I could try it out.
Lu-Cuss is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:04 PM   #8
Nystagmus
Someone who cares
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Nystagmus's Avatar
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
Posts: 3,751
MC Status: 64060
Thanks: 3,298
Thanked 1,281 Times in 967 Posts
Re: Vaporwave, Noise, and Drone Tut's

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL072 View Post
A lot could be said about this question, but in practical terms mainly chopped and screwed muzak and corporate jingles from the 80s and 90s. Also heavily slowed down and VHS noise and/or lofi-ness added to make it sound like crap. Lots of nauseating 90s colour palettes and fake nostalgic imagery.

As you can imagine, a lot of it is hideous, but for some reason feels really good to listen to in the way that listening to breakore feels good to listen to.

Here is one of my favourite tracks (album is free and pretty representative in a way):
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
That track is just a straight slowed down version of a tune I think called Rock Steady. It was a popular 90-something BPM R&B tune of the 90s I'm pretty sure. I heard it a lot of times growing up.

But otherwise, thanks for teaching me what Vaporwave is. I know Towa Tei did some stuff somewhat like that several years ago.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:05 PM   #9
TL072
Master of the LFO
TL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond repute
Posts: 465
MC Status: 5910
Thanks: 102
Thanked 118 Times in 91 Posts
Re: Vaporwave, Noise, and Drone Tut's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nystagmus View Post
That track is just a straight slowed down version of a tune I think called Rock Steady. It was a popular 90-something BPM R&B tune of the 90s I'm pretty sure. I heard it a lot of times growing up.

But otherwise, thanks for teaching me what Vaporwave is. I know Towa Tei did some stuff somewhat like that several years ago.
Hahaha, I am not surprised one bit. Here is another "hit":

TL072 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:35 PM   #10
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
Posts: 6,768
MC Status: 153310
Thanks: 3,344
Thanked 3,066 Times in 2,150 Posts
Re: Vaporwave, Noise, and Drone Tut's

I'm glad everyone got a chance to discover vaporwave due to my tutorials


I have more tutorials in the making, which are all unrelated to vaporwave. I might make a goofy one of me recreating Phoenix #2772's Turn Me On, but that's about the extent of it.

Maybe I should have called this thread "how to get your creative juices flowing" because that's the only thing I feel like I'm good at. "How to mix" is someone else's tutorial.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:52 PM   #11
Lu-Cuss
Minor Glitch
Lu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud of
Lu-Cuss's Avatar
The Wired
Posts: 49
MC Status: 1360
Thanks: 6
Thanked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Re: Vaporwave, Noise, and Drone Tut's

Edit - It's not letting me quote T-2000 guy's post and count it as an edit so I'm putting it here as context because fuck it

I feel like that's actually kind of an unfair example of what vaporwave is, honestly. The "genre" (I'd call it more like a sonic aesthetic than anything) can be a lot of things besides the slowed down Diana Ross songs it started as. I can't post links yet because I'm a newer user, but I'll leave a list of some songs that are worth listening to here, if you even really want to.

Death's Dynamic Shroud.wmv - 내 마음은 떨고
BLΛNK BΛNSΗΣΣ - B:/ Infinite Login
Saint Pepsi - Private Caller
MCMXCI - Thermoform Slogans
Dan Mason ダン·メイソン - 日常
IMMUNE - City of Angels
Lu-Cuss is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:09 PM   #12
FunkMasterBrown
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
FunkMasterBrown's Avatar
King's Head function room
Age: 25
Posts: 9,147
MC Status: 222279184
Thanks: 2,923
Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,708 Posts
Re: Vaporwave, Noise, and Drone Tut's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lu-Cuss View Post
The "genre" (I'd call it more like a sonic aesthetic than anything)
haha what!?? please explain what

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:11 PM   #13
FunkMasterBrown
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
FunkMasterBrown's Avatar
King's Head function room
Age: 25
Posts: 9,147
MC Status: 222279184
Thanks: 2,923
Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,708 Posts
Re: Vaporwave, Noise, and Drone Tut's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
I'm glad everyone got a chance to discover vaporwave due to my tutorials


I have more tutorials in the making, which are all unrelated to vaporwave. I might make a goofy one of me recreating Phoenix #2772's Turn Me On, but that's about the extent of it.

Maybe I should have called this thread "how to get your creative juices flowing" because that's the only thing I feel like I'm good at. "How to mix" is someone else's tutorial.
i wasnt 100% sure what vaporwave was before this thread made me find out. i have to say im very surprised its even a thing. but i am a nazi to be fair so i get that with a lot of things

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to FunkMasterBrown
Jaded (10-19-2015)
Old 10-18-2015, 09:08 PM   #14
Lu-Cuss
Minor Glitch
Lu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud of
Lu-Cuss's Avatar
The Wired
Posts: 49
MC Status: 1360
Thanks: 6
Thanked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Re: Vaporwave, Noise, and Drone Tut's

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterBrown View Post
haha what!?? please explain what
The thing about vaporwave is that there overall seems to be almost no real consensus on what the fuck it is. There are artists who make songs that are sampled-based, in your face styles of funk, artists who make completely synth-based ambient music, and artists who make experimental, plunderphonics styles that sound kind of like a more layered and fast paced version of Oneohtrix Point Never's album Replica. There's even at least one artist who use nothing but traditional instruments he records himself.

The only thing I can really seem to find that's just barely constant in the "genre" is the use of a sort of airy and at least to some extent lo-fi sound that seems to usually be for the purpose of giving a nostalgic sound, as if it's something you'd hear as the background music to one of those old experimental 3D animations from the 90s like the Mind's Eye series. So with that in mind I don't really see a reason to call it a "genre" which implies a concrete sound being present in the whole thing. To me, it's just an aesthetic the same way the visual art in most of it is. I hope that makes more sense.
Lu-Cuss is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 10:05 PM   #15
FunkMasterBrown
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
FunkMasterBrown's Avatar
King's Head function room
Age: 25
Posts: 9,147
MC Status: 222279184
Thanks: 2,923
Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,708 Posts
Re: Vaporwave, Noise, and Drone Tut's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lu-Cuss View Post
The thing about vaporwave is that there overall seems to be almost no real consensus on what the fuck it is. There are artists who make songs that are sampled-based, in your face styles of funk, artists who make completely synth-based ambient music, and artists who make experimental, plunderphonics styles that sound kind of like a more layered and fast paced version of Oneohtrix Point Never's album Replica. There's even at least one artist who use nothing but traditional instruments he records himself.

The only thing I can really seem to find that's just barely constant in the "genre" is the use of a sort of airy and at least to some extent lo-fi sound that seems to usually be for the purpose of giving a nostalgic sound, as if it's something you'd hear as the background music to one of those old experimental 3D animations from the 90s like the Mind's Eye series. So with that in mind I don't really see a reason to call it a "genre" which implies a concrete sound being present in the whole thing. To me, it's just an aesthetic the same way the visual art in most of it is. I hope that makes more sense.
i just dont get your use of the word aesthetic tbh man. surely musical genres are groups/categories that sort music based roughly on the aesthetical properties of music. its like youre saying its not really a genre of music its more of a style of music i get that 'aesthetic' is a word used a lot in vaporwave circles or whatever but from my distant and extremely limited understanding of that it seems to be a misuse of it on purpose. anywayyyy maybe if the sound varies a lot its less of a genre and more of a scene that people relate to and/or participate in? who knowsssss. im going down a very tedious path towards pointless garden

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:56 PM   #16
TL072
Master of the LFO
TL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond repute
Posts: 465
MC Status: 5910
Thanks: 102
Thanked 118 Times in 91 Posts
Re: Vaporwave, Noise, and Drone Tut's

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterBrown View Post
i just dont get your use of the word aesthetic tbh man. surely musical genres are groups/categories that sort music based roughly on the aesthetical properties of music. its like youre saying its not really a genre of music its more of a style of music i get that 'aesthetic' is a word used a lot in vaporwave circles or whatever but from my distant and extremely limited understanding of that it seems to be a misuse of it on purpose. anywayyyy maybe if the sound varies a lot its less of a genre and more of a scene that people relate to and/or participate in? who knowsssss. im going down a very tedious path towards pointless garden
Perhaps the steam-punk world is a good comparison. From what I can see the Vaporwave people are a little more music-centric, but there is a lot of imagery, blogs of only imagery etc.

Kvlt O))): sorry for hi-jacking the thread. Lots of good tricks in these tutorials.
TL072 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:08 PM   #17
Trusty Steed
Trusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MC
Trusty Steed's Avatar
Posts: 9,267
MC Status: 272294870
Thanks: 5,097
Thanked 2,648 Times in 1,566 Posts
Re: Vaporwave, noise, and drone tuts



Good vids, Kvlt.
Trusty Steed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Trusty Steed
FunkMasterBrown (10-20-2015)
Old 09-02-2016, 09:37 PM   #18
jpeg
Learning The Ropes
jpeg is on a distinguished road
jpeg's Avatar
Age: 21
Posts: 5
MC Status: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Vaporwave, noise, and drone tuts

Vaporwave is more like an overall "art movement" than a music genre cause musically its just very lazy plunderphonics.
jpeg is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 03:08 PM   #19
jimmusician
Deep Underground
jimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond repute
jimmusician's Avatar
Posts: 746
MC Status: 8348
Thanks: 44
Thanked 62 Times in 52 Posts
Re: Vaporwave, noise, and drone tuts

Thank you. Frank Javcee anybody?
jimmusician is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 03:58 PM   #20
jpeg
Learning The Ropes
jpeg is on a distinguished road
jpeg's Avatar
Age: 21
Posts: 5
MC Status: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Vaporwave, noise, and drone tuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmusician View Post
Thank you. Frank Javcee anybody?
yes memes

also I wouldnt really call these tutorials as you're not really explaining anything, more like a recordings of your process

Last edited by jpeg; 09-03-2016 at 04:30 PM..

Advertisements

jpeg is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[Binaural Beats/Drone/Noise] Smile_Price Listening Booth 0 04-08-2015 09:20 PM
[noise/harsh/drone] grngrm depricode Listening Booth 5 11-02-2013 02:41 PM
Drone/Noise generators Budlust Ambient / Downtempo 7 01-14-2013 02:21 PM
[Drone / Noise / Ambient] AsylumSeaker Listening Booth 4 06-20-2012 03:03 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:02 PM.


Electronic Music Forums

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.