Vaporwave, noise, and drone tuts
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 10-14-2015, 10:52 AM   #1
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153310
Thanked 3,066 Times in 2,150 Posts
Vaporwave, noise, and drone tuts

I deleted my shittier tutorials for this installment. Hope someone likes them or something.

Advertisements

Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 06:05 PM   #2
MonoReaction
Granular Poster
MonoReaction is a name known to allMonoReaction is a name known to allMonoReaction is a name known to allMonoReaction is a name known to allMonoReaction is a name known to allMonoReaction is a name known to all
Brasília
MC Status: 560
Re: Vaporwave, Noise, and Drone Tut's

Cool tutorials, specially the drone and noise. I had never thought of making noise using granular synthesis. Man, i have to say that granulator is such a lovely device.

------------------
MonoReaction is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:24 PM   #3
TL072
Master of the LFO
TL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 5910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
I deleted my shittier tutorials for this installment. Hope someone likes them or something.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

THE VAPORWAVE MACHINE (HOW TO MAKE 'ORIGINAL' PLUNDERPHONICS)

INSTANT DRONE MACHINE (HOW TO MAKE AMBIANCE FROM OLD STEMS)

VENGEANCE NOISE RIG (HOW TO MAKE NOISE FROM VENGEANCE SAMPLES)
Nice vaporwave man. I am just missing a sexy sax line.
TL072 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:24 PM   #4
Nystagmus
Someone who cares
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 64060
Thanked 1,281 Times in 967 Posts

nice tutorials. i don't use live, but it's still educational.

What is Vaporwave anyhow?

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 05:43 PM   #5
TL072
Master of the LFO
TL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nystagmus View Post
nice tutorials. i don't use live, but it's still educational.

What is Vaporwave anyhow?
A lot could be said about this question, but in practical terms mainly chopped and screwed muzak and corporate jingles from the 80s and 90s. Also heavily slowed down and VHS noise and/or lofi-ness added to make it sound like crap. Lots of nauseating 90s colour palettes and fake nostalgic imagery.

As you can imagine, a lot of it is hideous, but for some reason feels really good to listen to in the way that listening to breakore feels good to listen to.

Here is one of my favourite tracks (album is free and pretty representative in a way):
Thanks to TL072
Nystagmus (10-17-2015)
Old 10-17-2015, 06:37 PM   #6
lw_pss
Soundscaper
lw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MC
Yekaterinburg
MC Status: 528458

------------------
lw_pss is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:38 PM   #7
Lu-Cuss
Minor Glitch
Lu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud of
The Wired
MC Status: 1360

You also inadvertently made a ton of old-school fighting game sound effects in the harsh noise video. Thanks for these though. I wish I had Max for Live so I could try it out.
Lu-Cuss is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:04 PM   #8
Nystagmus
Someone who cares
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 64060
Thanked 1,281 Times in 967 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL072 View Post
A lot could be said about this question, but in practical terms mainly chopped and screwed muzak and corporate jingles from the 80s and 90s. Also heavily slowed down and VHS noise and/or lofi-ness added to make it sound like crap. Lots of nauseating 90s colour palettes and fake nostalgic imagery.

As you can imagine, a lot of it is hideous, but for some reason feels really good to listen to in the way that listening to breakore feels good to listen to.

Here is one of my favourite tracks (album is free and pretty representative in a way):
That track is just a straight slowed down version of a tune I think called Rock Steady. It was a popular 90-something BPM R&B tune of the 90s I'm pretty sure. I heard it a lot of times growing up.

But otherwise, thanks for teaching me what Vaporwave is. I know Towa Tei did some stuff somewhat like that several years ago.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:05 PM   #9
TL072
Master of the LFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nystagmus View Post
That track is just a straight slowed down version of a tune I think called Rock Steady. It was a popular 90-something BPM R&B tune of the 90s I'm pretty sure. I heard it a lot of times growing up.

But otherwise, thanks for teaching me what Vaporwave is. I know Towa Tei did some stuff somewhat like that several years ago.
Hahaha, I am not surprised one bit. Here is another "hit":

Old 10-18-2015, 07:35 PM   #10
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153310
Thanked 3,066 Times in 2,150 Posts

I'm glad everyone got a chance to discover vaporwave due to my tutorials

I have more tutorials in the making, which are all unrelated to vaporwave. I might make a goofy one of me recreating Phoenix #2772's Turn Me On, but that's about the extent of it.

Maybe I should have called this thread "how to get your creative juices flowing" because that's the only thing I feel like I'm good at. "How to mix" is someone else's tutorial.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:52 PM   #11
Lu-Cuss
Minor Glitch
Lu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud of
The Wired

Edit - It's not letting me quote T-2000 guy's post and count it as an edit so I'm putting it here as context because fuck it

I feel like that's actually kind of an unfair example of what vaporwave is, honestly. The "genre" (I'd call it more like a sonic aesthetic than anything) can be a lot of things besides the slowed down Diana Ross songs it started as. I can't post links yet because I'm a newer user, but I'll leave a list of some songs that are worth listening to here, if you even really want to.

Death's Dynamic Shroud.wmv - 내 마음은 떨고
BLΛNK BΛNSΗΣΣ - B:/ Infinite Login
Saint Pepsi - Private Caller
MCMXCI - Thermoform Slogans
Dan Mason ダン·メイソン - 日常
IMMUNE - City of Angels
Old 10-18-2015, 08:09 PM   #12
FunkMasterBrown
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222279184
Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,708 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lu-Cuss View Post
The "genre" (I'd call it more like a sonic aesthetic than anything)
haha what!?? please explain what

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:11 PM   #13
FunkMasterBrown
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
I'm glad everyone got a chance to discover vaporwave due to my tutorials

I have more tutorials in the making, which are all unrelated to vaporwave. I might make a goofy one of me recreating Phoenix #2772's Turn Me On, but that's about the extent of it.

Maybe I should have called this thread "how to get your creative juices flowing" because that's the only thing I feel like I'm good at. "How to mix" is someone else's tutorial.
i wasnt 100% sure what vaporwave was before this thread made me find out. i have to say im very surprised its even a thing. but i am a nazi to be fair so i get that with a lot of things

------------------
Thanks to FunkMasterBrown
Jaded (10-19-2015)
Old 10-18-2015, 09:08 PM   #14
Lu-Cuss
Minor Glitch
The Wired

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterBrown View Post
haha what!?? please explain what
The thing about vaporwave is that there overall seems to be almost no real consensus on what the fuck it is. There are artists who make songs that are sampled-based, in your face styles of funk, artists who make completely synth-based ambient music, and artists who make experimental, plunderphonics styles that sound kind of like a more layered and fast paced version of Oneohtrix Point Never's album Replica. There's even at least one artist who use nothing but traditional instruments he records himself.

The only thing I can really seem to find that's just barely constant in the "genre" is the use of a sort of airy and at least to some extent lo-fi sound that seems to usually be for the purpose of giving a nostalgic sound, as if it's something you'd hear as the background music to one of those old experimental 3D animations from the 90s like the Mind's Eye series. So with that in mind I don't really see a reason to call it a "genre" which implies a concrete sound being present in the whole thing. To me, it's just an aesthetic the same way the visual art in most of it is. I hope that makes more sense.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:05 PM   #15
FunkMasterBrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lu-Cuss View Post
The thing about vaporwave is that there overall seems to be almost no real consensus on what the fuck it is. There are artists who make songs that are sampled-based, in your face styles of funk, artists who make completely synth-based ambient music, and artists who make experimental, plunderphonics styles that sound kind of like a more layered and fast paced version of Oneohtrix Point Never's album Replica. There's even at least one artist who use nothing but traditional instruments he records himself.

The only thing I can really seem to find that's just barely constant in the "genre" is the use of a sort of airy and at least to some extent lo-fi sound that seems to usually be for the purpose of giving a nostalgic sound, as if it's something you'd hear as the background music to one of those old experimental 3D animations from the 90s like the Mind's Eye series. So with that in mind I don't really see a reason to call it a "genre" which implies a concrete sound being present in the whole thing. To me, it's just an aesthetic the same way the visual art in most of it is. I hope that makes more sense.
i just dont get your use of the word aesthetic tbh man. surely musical genres are groups/categories that sort music based roughly on the aesthetical properties of music. its like youre saying its not really a genre of music its more of a style of music i get that 'aesthetic' is a word used a lot in vaporwave circles or whatever but from my distant and extremely limited understanding of that it seems to be a misuse of it on purpose. anywayyyy maybe if the sound varies a lot its less of a genre and more of a scene that people relate to and/or participate in? who knowsssss. im going down a very tedious path towards pointless garden

------------------
Old 10-19-2015, 07:56 PM   #16
TL072
Master of the LFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterBrown View Post
i just dont get your use of the word aesthetic tbh man. surely musical genres are groups/categories that sort music based roughly on the aesthetical properties of music. its like youre saying its not really a genre of music its more of a style of music i get that 'aesthetic' is a word used a lot in vaporwave circles or whatever but from my distant and extremely limited understanding of that it seems to be a misuse of it on purpose. anywayyyy maybe if the sound varies a lot its less of a genre and more of a scene that people relate to and/or participate in? who knowsssss. im going down a very tedious path towards pointless garden
Perhaps the steam-punk world is a good comparison. From what I can see the Vaporwave people are a little more music-centric, but there is a lot of imagery, blogs of only imagery etc.

Kvlt O))): sorry for hi-jacking the thread. Lots of good tricks in these tutorials.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:08 PM   #17
Trusty Steed
Trusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MC
MC Status: 272294870
Thanked 2,648 Times in 1,566 Posts
Re: Vaporwave, noise, and drone tuts

Good vids, Kvlt.
Trusty Steed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Trusty Steed
FunkMasterBrown (10-20-2015)
Old 09-02-2016, 09:37 PM   #18
jpeg
Learning The Ropes
jpeg is on a distinguished road
MC Status: 10

Vaporwave is more like an overall "art movement" than a music genre cause musically its just very lazy plunderphonics.
jpeg is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 03:08 PM   #19
jimmusician
Deep Underground
jimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8348

Thank you. Frank Javcee anybody?
jimmusician is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 03:58 PM   #20
jpeg
Learning The Ropes
jpeg is on a distinguished road
MC Status: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmusician View Post
Thank you. Frank Javcee anybody?
yes memes

also I wouldnt really call these tutorials as you're not really explaining anything, more like a recordings of your process

Last edited by jpeg; 09-03-2016 at 04:30 PM..

Advertisements

jpeg is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote