Adobe DAW? Adobe Audition
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 08-11-2014, 07:25 PM   #1
SeanIsElectric
Analog Lurker
SeanIsElectric has much to be proud ofSeanIsElectric has much to be proud ofSeanIsElectric has much to be proud ofSeanIsElectric has much to be proud ofSeanIsElectric has much to be proud ofSeanIsElectric has much to be proud ofSeanIsElectric has much to be proud ofSeanIsElectric has much to be proud of
MANCHESTOH!
MC Status: 1010
Adobe DAW? Adobe Audition

Anyone used this before. Is it more for sound editing than actual production? The reason I'm asking, I love Adobe software. Can't use Corel Draw for shit, mastered Photoshop on my taff. Can't use Sony Vegas. Mastered Adobe Premiere on my taff.

Struggle self teaching myself on the usual DAW fare. If Adobe made a DAW, maybe it would gel with me. I'm not looking to EVER do this commercially. Just as a hobby, a bit of fun so don't want something overly involving that requires you to watch 3 hours tutorials to lay down a bar..

Advertisements

------------------
www.ourbassaddiction.com - #BeInfluential
SeanIsElectric is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: D-Wayne & Leon Boiler - Detonate
Old 08-11-2014, 09:49 PM   #2
eesn
Soundwave Mangler
eesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond repute
London
MC Status: 3660
Re: Adobe DAW? Adobe Audition

Audition started out as an audio file (waveform) editor - [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
96. Cool Pro added multitrack sessions later. Then Adobe bought Syntrillium and the releases of Audition ever since have tried to make a full-fledged DAW out of it. It's neither a Nuendo nor a Pro Tools, maybe they hoped it would support an After Effects / Premiere workflow, but never put too much effort into it.

In typical Adobe style, in CS5.5 they took out features that were present in Cool more than 10 years ago, and charged the cost of yet another update (CS6) to return them to the app.

It's a workable DAW, but not a very intuitive or powerful one. However, the single file editor is crazy good, and it has always been. In fact if you look at Cool's history, apart from performance (abysmal), as an audio editor, it has always been a strong product.

I'm not sure if Audition (4+) has any MIDI sequencing at present, so you may not be able to lay down a bar either way..

CS6 doesn't play well with my Wacom Bamboo tablet or Apple's trackpad for scrolling and zooming. Adobe refuse to fix it.

CS6 hogs the audio interface on my machine so if I have Logic in the background locking the sample rate to 96k and open a 44.1k file in Audition, I usually get crackling sound and dropouts pretty quickly. I haven't found a way to tell it to just use system audio for playback.

I love it to bits, but not as a DAW.
Hope this helps.

------------------
eesn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to eesn
Jaded (12-01-2014)
Old 08-11-2014, 10:59 PM   #3
strkssinthes
Soundscaper
strkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MC
MC Status: 38320

Audition is definitely much better us a DAW for editing single audio files as eesn mentioned. It has some good options especially for cleaning up audio. I don't really enjoy using it that much nowadays however. It feels kind of dated and clunky compared to some of the other DAWs out there now.

------------------
strkssinthes is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:00 PM   #4
penguinoid
Eternal Echoer
penguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MC
Berkeley, CA
MC Status: 507776

Yeh, it seems primarily designed for audio post-production!
penguinoid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:10 AM   #5
SeanIsElectric
Analog Lurker
SeanIsElectric has much to be proud ofSeanIsElectric has much to be proud ofSeanIsElectric has much to be proud ofSeanIsElectric has much to be proud ofSeanIsElectric has much to be proud ofSeanIsElectric has much to be proud ofSeanIsElectric has much to be proud ofSeanIsElectric has much to be proud of
MANCHESTOH!
MC Status: 1010

If you had to pick, what would you say is the easiest DAW to pickup? Again, this is just for fun, not to become a serious producer.

------------------
www.ourbassaddiction.com - #BeInfluential
SeanIsElectric is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:40 AM   #6
calypsoB
calypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improve
MC Status: -12411435

Try ableton, it really is super simple to use. I use photoshop, and vegas as well and they all have a little bit of a learning curve. but I sincerely think ableton is much easier to use than photoshop or vegas pro.
calypsoB is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:39 AM   #7
Praxisaxis
Knob Twiddler
Praxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 5760

There are a few "famous" producers who work a lot in audition (though I can't remember who they are). One of those said they do because it's what they started with and just got used to it. It is pretty good for editing and so on, but not really in the same league as Cubase-Logic-Ableton-Protools etc. If you have a choice, start with one of those.

------------------
-----------------------------
PRAXIS AXIS
Beatport
Here's a new tune:
Praxisaxis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:21 PM   #8
l.u.c.a.
Regular Freak
l.u.c.a. is currently spamming hard
Vienna
MC Status: 10

I use Audition however only in conjunction with Ableton Live (you can load Audio files directly from Ableton into Audition).
I think what works really well in Audition is the Wave/Audio Editing. That's were Ableton is lacking a little bit. However Insturments, VSTs, Midi, Arranging, Effects, etc: that's all done in Ableton.

So to answere your question: I don't see Audition as an full DAW (however that's just my oppinion)
l.u.c.a. is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:31 PM   #9
SUN of IRA
Soundwave Mangler
SUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant future
Manchester
MC Status: 1560

I think that an answer to this question depends entirely on how you intend to work. I f you are cutting up audio on the timeline then something like Reaper is perfect (or even Audition). If your doing a lot of midi stuff with VSTis and the like, then Live may be the better choice. Maybe even a tracker would suit the way you want to work.

As a hobbyist though, there would be no way on earth that I would drop the best part of 500 quid on Live/Cubase etc. Dig in to what you have got and see if you can make a tune. If not, you haven't lost anything but it might make you realise how you want to make tunes. Then it is a case of demoing software until you find something that fits.

------------------
SUN of IRA is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:18 PM   #10
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153410
Thanked 3,068 Times in 2,151 Posts

Every DAW is going to have a learning curve. Whether it's an Adobe product or not, 'waste' an hour with a manual over 3 hours on a poorly explained youtube video.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:37 AM   #11
Delinquent Dialect
Sample Destroyer
Delinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MC
Unregistered's music is self indulgent nonesense!
MC Status: 25172146

If you can learn Photoshop to any degree of skill, you can learn Ableton Live. If you cant learn it, then I dont believe you really know Photoshop quite as well as you thought you did.

------------------
<< dont listen >>
if ( mind == open ) {""}
Latest vinyl "Purging the Pious" EP from Earwiggle Records https://www.facebook.com/earwigglelabel
Delinquent Dialect is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 09:51 AM   #12
BMBVYG
Minor Glitch
BMBVYG will become famous soon enough
Seattle Wa
MC Status: 60

honestly i didnt fool with it too much on full songs but i absolutely love how you can totally minipulate each specific sound wave in your recording. i would record my vocals on audition on songs and love bringing specific words and sounds up in volume with ease verses automation in some other daw's.. so in short.. yea its awesome for vocal stuff . total control imho
BMBVYG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 11:06 PM   #13
Vidale
Granular Poster
Vidale has a spectacular aura aboutVidale has a spectacular aura aboutVidale has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

I once worked with Audition. I felt it wasn't so music focused so I didn't dig much into it.
Vidale is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 01:59 AM   #14
mholloway
Master of the LFO
mholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MC
Portland, Oregon, USA
MC Status: 1435759

Calling Audition a proper "DAW" is inaccurate / misleading, because of the following:

1. It cannot load plug-in instruments.

2. It has no MIDI functionality whatsoever, because (see point 1).

What it is, is a high-end Audio Editor application that also happens to feature a multi-track section. The multi-track could certainly be "used like a DAW" to arrange audio files into full songs. You can edit them extensively using the editor, and apply plugin FX.

it's a great program, and I've been using it since back in the day of Cool Edit Pro Version 2. But Ableton is my DAW; Audition is my audio editor. I don't really use the multi-track function of it, though I used to quite extensively back when it was CEP.

-M

------------------

a modern twist on old-school electro-industrial music:
https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com
http://www.facebook.com/deadwhenifoundher
mholloway is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:14 PM   #15
-Agu-
Radial Developer
-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute
Helsinki
MC Status: 2760

I think Audition works as a full DAW only for people who use only live sounds, so they won't be needing any synths anyways. Others use it just for mixing/mastering/audio editing.
-Agu- is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:36 PM   #16
askanse
Learning The Ropes
askanse is currently spamming hard
Oklahoma

I use Audition with Ableton as well. If you wanted to produce something strictly in Audition it would be fairly difficult, and it would have to entirely sample based. That said, I think Audition is easier to use than Ableton and if all you want to do is manipulate recorded sound then it would be awesome. If you wanted to make electronic music in Audition you would probably want to have some interesting hardware to record into it, sample libraries, or already be good at chopping and arranging audio.
askanse is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:01 PM   #17
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8514030
Thanked 6,462 Times in 4,619 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanIsElectric View Post
Anyone used this before. Is it more for sound editing than actual production? The reason I'm asking, I love Adobe software. Can't use Corel Draw for shit, mastered Photoshop on my taff. Can't use Sony Vegas. Mastered Adobe Premiere on my taff.

Struggle self teaching myself on the usual DAW fare. If Adobe made a DAW, maybe it would gel with me. I'm not looking to EVER do this commercially. Just as a hobby, a bit of fun so don't want something overly involving that requires you to watch 3 hours tutorials to lay down a bar..
First and foremost, making electronic music totally from scratch is a hobby that *will* require more of 3 hours of learning to get any satisfying results.

If you want something related to music you can get reasonably moderate results in a couple Saturday afternoons buy Traktor and maybe a controller and learn to mix tunes.

That being said, I agree that it is unfair and misleading to really call Adobe Audition a proper DAW. It isn't. For all the reasons listed. It is a post production audio editor. You will honestly get way more frustrated trying to make full tunes in Audition than learning one of the proper DAWs.

My other suggestion, if you are talking about spending Adobe money, is to pick up one of the new Korg Electribes. Everything you need to make a full tune in one box. You can sit on your couch with it and a pair of headphones and fool around to your heart's content. Drum kits, full synth engine, insert and master buss FXs.

Maschine might be another option--not quite a full DAW, but it'll get you there if this is just a hobby. Comes with a boat load of sounds, FX, mixing tools and some Kontakt libraries and Massive.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:52 AM   #18
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6897509
Thanked 3,366 Times in 2,043 Posts

Quote:
Man, if you truly have mastered Adobe Photoshop, then I struggle to believe that you would have trouble learning how to use a DAW.

Quote:
How you could hope to master anything in three hours is beyond belief.

That being said, CoolEdit Pro used to be a great audio editor. Then Adobe acquired it and went about turning it into a fully featured multi-channel DAW designed for film editing. These days, Audition is bloatware. I still use it from time to time when I am working on projects where the client provides or requires OMF files because, given their development push towards film applications, Audition fully supports the format (unlike most other DAWs).

But is it as good as CoolEdit? I don't think so. The CoolEdit team designed a really revolutionary product back in the day that was geared towards electronic music and sound design. It had features for loop creation, temporal display, simplified navigation that made it easy to select zero crossings when editing. Much of this functionality is obscured now, as Adobe completely destroyed the key command structure, replacing some of the most used and usable commands with the default Adobe commands.

I need a grab tool to move around an audio file? Really Adobe? So "I" doesn't select the first previous zero crossing because that's the key command for the eye dropper tool? Really Adobe? You really think any tools related to vision take precedence to audio applications in an audio application? Thanks Adobe... Oh, and you want me to pay $450 to upgrade to CS6 so that I can take advantage of all of the new features you've added. Like the darker screen. Oh wait, CoolEdit/Audition has been dark since the 90s. In fact, every app in CS6 now uses Audition's theme. Awesome!

My advice, don't buy it. There are plenty of audio editors out there that are cheaper and better featured to working with electronic music.

And, once again, if you can "master" Photoshop then a DAW like Live should be child's play... Unless you're lying.

------------------
For reference:
Quote:
Originally Posted by God*

satan = f i d
my master, my god, my lord and savior = f i d d y
my boner = f i d e l i u m

* I am not God.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 12:17 PM   #19
eesn
Soundwave Mangler
eesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond repute
London
MC Status: 3660

Quote:
Originally Posted by mholloway View Post
Calling Audition a proper "DAW" is inaccurate / misleading, because of the following:

1. It cannot load plug-in instruments.
2. It has no MIDI functionality whatsoever, because (see point 1).
technically you can record, manipulate, repair, and mix multitrack audio so it is a "digital audio workstation" though with no midi functionality. that won't stop you from recording a band, especially if you're not doing drum replacement later - you can still arrange mix and master said material.

that it is designed for audio post is a strikingly accurate description. radio people love it

------------------
eesn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:33 PM   #20
JinxstaJX
Learning The Ropes
JinxstaJX is currently spamming hard
Bristol

I have used Adobe Audition for years and find it very good for recording vocals, audio editing and basic level mixing. It does offer more but found it to be limited and lacking behind other DAWs overall

In terms of actual production, it's well equipped for recording live instruments but beyond that you'll probably get more out of using the likes of Logic, Ableton Live, Cubase etc.

Has good effects and audio editing capabilities though so if you wanted to mess with samples then it'll definitely do a job for you!

Advertisements

JinxstaJX is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote