[MAWM] Relic's Live House/Techno Project
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Quarterly Album Writing Month (QAWM) IDMf's Quarterly Album Writing Month project. Find all things QAWM related PLUS members own QAWM music!

Old 03-05-2014, 04:40 AM   #1
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8523830
Thanked 6,658 Times in 4,748 Posts
[MAWM] Relic's Live House/Techno Project

Alright so for MAWM I am doing a live Techno project. I have been wanting to do it for a while. Going to try and keep it weird, dubby and ambient.

So basically I using Maschine standalone as my sequencer for the MicroBrute and Proteus One sound module (rompler). I am routing these to my analog mixer, the mixer being routed to the mic pre amps on my interface. I have my Filter Factory, KP3, Zoom Multi Stomp, OTO Biscuit all routed to various inserts and aux channels on the analog mixer. Maschine is doing drums digitally/in the box. Though I am sending some drums to the mixer for flavor (kick drum on the first track hits a mixer pre amp pretty hard). I am setting up an arrangement in scene view in Maschine, then recording Maschine's master while I jam on the FX. Then I take that recorded master into FL Studio for some post processing.

I am only going to post a few updates through out the month. I wanted to post this first one just to make sure I am not making utter shit. I have never taken a 4x4 track very far before though I used to dig a lot of it back in the day when I was still going to parties. Kinda getting back into it again thanks to some people here. I don't know about making 4x4 music point and click style, but doing it kind of live is pretty damn awesome.

After MAWM is up I am going to do a live set/medley of all the tracks I get done. I am also going to make at least on dub of each track available for download. Just fucking the tunes. Or piss off ;p Mix 'em, give 'em away. Sample 'em. If you really want some stems. I can get you the static arrangement from Maschine in audio easy enough. Ask me questions, please.

----------------------

I have enabled down loads on this first dub. I did a bit of ghetto self mastering. I don't think it sounds too shabby myself. Maybe needs a bigger low end.

Wild Love (Dub 1)

Put a Dub on Summer....Took a few takes on this one. Still want to try a different mix. This is quite aggressive, but I like it.

Beer=This Tune...
Only one none hardware sound in this tune. The first synth that comes in. All the drums and everything else is all hardware. Some sequenced with Maschine. Then some master bus crapola in FL Studio ;p

Last edited by relic; 20-05-2014 at 02:38 AM..

Advertisements

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:47 PM   #2
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963383
Thanked 4,079 Times in 2,705 Posts
Re: [MAWM] Relic's Live House/Techno Project

Very nice! You should record, with all that you are doing it would be interesting to see it done live.
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Muse-ic
relic (04-05-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 09:01 PM   #3
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 169210
Thanked 3,384 Times in 2,523 Posts

Ooooo Don't know why, but that makes me want to rush out and get some blow, rush back and get stoned. Don't think I can be any more clearer about what I think about it really. Brings back a LOT of memories does that.

PS: thanks for the DL..know that it will be put to good use.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
relic (04-05-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 10:38 PM   #4
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts

Yeah this is pretty cool. How long did this take you? Can you tell me what sounds are coming from the e-mu and what is the vocal sample? I agree not too shabby on that home master it all sounded real nice on my m-50's. Maybe a little more sub in that kick to fill stuff out would be good but all in all sounding real nice.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:13 PM   #5
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269450858
Thanked 2,545 Times in 1,724 Posts

Really nice, what is that vocal samples? As it is the main element, you owe us more details bitch.

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:48 PM   #6
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Everything except the glitch-y, filtered bass sound is from the Proteus....so the pad/chord and the piano-ish (I guess). The glitchy bass is MicroBrute + OTO Biscuit. The vocal sample is Jim Morrison from My Wild Love. Chopped. Two of the are stretched slightly.

Thanks you lot : ) I will happily go on about MAWM this way if people are digging it.

It took two sessions. I noodled out the melody and bass, did the chords, worked out the beat, then I arranged the entire composition in Maschine using patterns/scenes.

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
: Just to be clear all I am doing "live" on this one is tweaking FX. The full arrangement of the loops is laid out in Maschine. I hoping to get good enough so I can do everything live. I actually tried that for a couple takes during the first session but I don't have everything setup in a convenient way to do everything live and also I am not good enough yet : ) ...I would like to get to the point where all I am doing is looping 8 or 16 bar loops in Maschine and using "mutes" to build the arrangement on the fly as well as tweaking FX etc.

@AM: Glad my music could inspire day dreams of enjoying fine illicit substances.

Last edited by relic; 04-05-2014 at 09:37 PM..

------------------
Old 06-05-2014, 12:57 AM   #7
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5742393

Crazy man, this is some very trippy stuff.

------------------
Say
bbb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to bbb
relic (06-05-2014)
Old 06-05-2014, 02:58 PM   #8
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 58960
Thanked 1,179 Times in 786 Posts

Left some comments on soundcloud for you

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:14 PM   #9
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744018791
Thanked 7,027 Times in 4,374 Posts

Yeah Nice work Relic, good stuff.
I almost feel like you shouldn't have dropped the full sample at all and just kept it as a musical element, keeping everyone guessing.
Waiting for more from you now.

------------------
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to lolirl
relic (06-05-2014)
Old 06-05-2014, 03:48 PM   #10
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by professurreal View Post
Left some comments on soundcloud for you
Thank you very much : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
Yeah Nice work Relic, good stuff.
I almost feel like you shouldn't have dropped the full sample at all and just kept it as a musical element, keeping everyone guessing.
Waiting for more from you now.
Thanks for the words. I will take that into consideration for future tracks as I will be doing a few of these with samples from the Doors, apparently.

------------------
Old 10-05-2014, 02:33 AM   #11
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

HA. Bump. Coming with some noisy fooking choonage.Updated OP. Couldn't help myself b/c this was hella fun to make. Took like 10 takes. Was supposed to be a house tune but done got fucked up and not so mellow.

------------------
Thanks to relic
A.M (13-05-2014)
Old 12-05-2014, 07:48 PM   #12
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC

Listening to the second track now, really love the sounds that come in at the 4:20 point, also it seems like the sounds were a little muffled before on the beginning. Really felt organic and in the moment, very fresh!
Thanks to Muse-ic
relic (12-05-2014)
Old 12-05-2014, 07:52 PM   #13
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse-ic View Post
Listening to the second track now, really love the sounds that come in at the 4:20 point, also it seems like the sounds were a little muffled before on the beginning. Really felt organic and in the moment, very fresh!
Yea. I ended up tweaking some volumes while jamming and had a compressor on two of the tracks because what I was doing was clipping the inputs on my interface. It probably ended up over compressed TBH. But I am more worried about getting the organic and in the moment feel. So in that regard Ill considered it a success. Thanks for the listen : )

------------------
Old 12-05-2014, 07:57 PM   #14
Muse-ic
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Yea. I ended up tweaking some volumes while jamming and had a compressor on two of the tracks because what I was doing was clipping the inputs on my interface. It probably ended up over compressed TBH. But I am more worried about getting the organic and in the moment feel. So in that regard Ill considered it a success. Thanks for the listen : )
Ah I see. I thought it was really innovative and inspiring. I really think that at some point I need to get some synths...playing and jamming in the moment is probably a better workflow for my style. Plus it just sounds fun, that comes through in your track.
Thanks to Muse-ic
relic (12-05-2014)
Old 13-05-2014, 01:32 AM   #15
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 169210
Thanked 3,384 Times in 2,523 Posts

Yep..everyone is right on the money regarding the second track..it's one smooth-sounding track..and I mean that..hey, I even downloaded it, so it MUST be good!

Love the way it progresses and really gels in the second-half for me..plus it has a really nice flow to my ear, even though it kind of starts out making you think it's going to be something else to what it ends up being..nice tricky work there, dude. Kudos.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 01:58 AM   #16
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

I am kind of embarrassed by the compliments. I had set the arrangement up ahead of time, but then drunk three beers and just jammed this out lol. I think I may have been making music entirely the wrong way for years.

------------------
Thanks to relic
A.M (13-05-2014)
Old 18-05-2014, 03:33 AM   #17
Skrillex
IDMf Artist
Skrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MC
San Fran
MC Status: 69360
Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,030 Posts

the first song, wild love, I'm enjoying the bass texture, as well as the atmospheric drone-ish vocal sample. I can see what you mean by organic, and Im liking it. the reverb in the hihats give a space to the track, which is nice since I noticed there was a smaller reverb on the kick too. I basically like the different senses of space in the song.

in the second part of the song in the short break, I really liked the little melody that came in. as well as the little clanging and precussions

anyways nice listen man,

------------------
( ु⚈᷁௰⚈᷁ ू)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareTheCircle View Post
It sounds like two records playing at once .
Skrillex is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Skrillex
relic (18-05-2014)
Old 20-05-2014, 02:15 AM   #18
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Alright. So I've done another. This is the freshest biscuit yet. Done all this evening. Rather raw in many regards but I was really, really digging the 16 bar loop. So done uploaded it. New tune third in the OP.

------------------
Old 20-05-2014, 02:22 AM   #19
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45941381
Thanked 5,664 Times in 3,570 Posts

Hmm not showing up for me man, but I jammed the older ones and they's good. Interesting dissonant arpeggio thing in that one in the middle up there.

------------------
Numerical is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 02:37 AM   #20
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

There are just three. Maybe the way I formatted it was was weird. Fixed.

Advertisements

------------------