Good headphones?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Go Back ğ The Studio ğ The Studio
Old 11-01-2014, 09:29 PM   #1
T-CHANG
Microknight
T-CHANG will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60
Good headphones?

I'm looking for a pair of good headphones to use in the studio because so far I've just been using my iPad headphones, which have decent, but not especially good sound quality. Anyone know of where to find good headphones?

Advertisements

T-CHANG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:35 PM   #2
Marklar
Ghostly
Marklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MC
Arkansas
MC Status: 8217735
Re: Good headphones?

There are a lot of good headphones out there, it depends on what you want and how much you want to spend. You definitely want something better than earbuds, you want reference monitors.

I like the Sennheiser HD280 Pro, I'm on my second pair. They're affordable and very good for the money.
Marklar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:40 PM   #3
T-CHANG
Microknight

Thanks for the reply--I'll take a look at those headphones. I will also get monitors later of course.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:46 PM   #4
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 108250
Thanked 2,139 Times in 1,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-CHANG View Post
I'm looking for a pair of good headphones to use in the studio because so far I've just been using my iPad headphones, which have decent, but not especially good sound quality. Anyone know of where to find good headphones?
I'd think the stock ipad earbuds would be quite a bit worse than decent.

There are quite a few headphone threads on the board and the same few always turn up. Any one of the popular studio monitors in your price range are probably fine after you answer the question: do you want open or closed back headphones?
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:05 PM   #5
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65460
Thanked 1,309 Times in 987 Posts

Earbuds these days suck even worse than they were back in the 1990s. i'm not sure why, but the build quality has gone down a lot. i used to like earbuds, but these days they just don't cut it if they even last 3 months.

Anyways, I got a good deal on some Audio Technica AT-T200s. They are a lot like the ATH-M30s and 40s but they are from a previous generation of audiophile headphones. Since they aren't the latest and greatest they were quite a bit cheaper. I'm got them from Amazon.com they are quite reasonable and have a pleasant amount of more bass than my ATH-M30s had.

Good luck.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:09 PM   #6
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 20010

[QUOTE=Oatbag;1192420]I'd think the stock ipad earbuds would be quite a bit worse than decent.

There are quite a few headphone threads on the board and the same few always turn up. Any one of the popular studio monitors in your price range are probably fine after you answer the question: do you want open or closed back headphones?[/QUOTE
funnelly enough i got a beat port (i know beatport but still ) released track that i did using ipod headphones its all about knowing your boundries and finding ways round them.
i now use though good old senhiser hd 25s. and a set of akgs i got off my mate for 50 quid.
i do own monitors aswell but strangely pref ere my sens
joem is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:12 PM   #7
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 20010

oh also my little brother has a set of astro a40s and there amazing aswell.
joem is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:15 PM   #8
T-CHANG
Microknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatbag View Post
I'd think the stock ipad earbuds would be quite a bit worse than decent.

There are quite a few headphone threads on the board and the same few always turn up. Any one of the popular studio monitors in your price range are probably fine after you answer the question: do you want open or closed back headphones?
I'm undecided between open or closed--the thing is I've heard open are better because of the more natural sound but then again I've also heard that ambient noise from outside can interfere with what you're hearing from your mix. Thoughts?
Old 11-01-2014, 10:28 PM   #9
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast

I'm all for saving money too, but when you are out like $600 for computer, another $500 or whatever for software, $200 for an interface - it just seems strange to even try to use free earbuds. Decent headphones were one of my very first upgrades. Good value for the $.

For open or closed back - what's your listening environment like? Quiet and no other people or a shared room or what?
Old 11-01-2014, 10:36 PM   #10
Marklar
Ghostly
Marklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MC
Arkansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-CHANG View Post
Thanks for the reply--I'll take a look at those headphones. I will also get monitors later of course.
Get monitors now, don't use cheap headphones meant for listening to MP3s.

Monitors are your only interface to the actual sound. Making music with inadequate monitoring is like painting in the dark.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:36 PM   #11
T-CHANG
Microknight

I'm at home usually, and my parents are the only other ones--so cooking, washing dishes, talking on the phone could cause problems--otherwise it's mostly quiet.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:45 PM   #12
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Best Coast

If you live at home with your parents - closed back might be a good option
Old 11-01-2014, 10:46 PM   #13
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\
MC Status: 389883256
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,084 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marklar View Post
Get monitors now, don't use cheap headphones meant for listening to MP3s.

Monitors are your only interface to the actual sound. Making music with inadequate monitoring is like painting in the dark.
A good pair of headphones is a decent place to start imo. And they're a lot cheaper than studio monitors. I'd rather be making music and not worrying my ass off about how well my mix translates than waiting till I can buy monitors. I think sometimes people put way too much emphasis on frequencies & eq'ing and mixing and forget that writing music doesn't need to be about all that, especially when you're starting out. You don't need monitors to write a good riff, a great progression, a catchy melody etc.

AKG K240 MKII are a decent pair, as are the ATH-M50 and Beyerdynamic 770.
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 02:31 AM   #14
StephenCozzone
Knob Twiddler
StephenCozzone is a splendid one to beholdStephenCozzone is a splendid one to beholdStephenCozzone is a splendid one to beholdStephenCozzone is a splendid one to beholdStephenCozzone is a splendid one to beholdStephenCozzone is a splendid one to beholdStephenCozzone is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 810
Best Headphones on a Budget

Hey there. I was just wondering what a good pair of headphones are on a budget and I mean absolutely no more than $100. I have looked into the Audio Technica M40s and M30s and also these Geminis. Not really sure what to get though. Any one have any experiences or thoughts about any of those?

The Gemini DJ HSR-100:
Amazon.com: Gemini DJ HSR-1000 - Professional Monitoring Headphones: Musical Instruments [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
StephenCozzone is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:18 AM   #15
taylorfrank
Savage Mad Cunt
taylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MC
Denver
MC Status: 20112
Re: Best Headphones on a Budget

1: Gemini Sucks, AT is good.

2: There are like 40 threads about headphones....search function FTW

------------------
taylorfrank is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 04:29 AM   #16
StephenCozzone
Knob Twiddler
StephenCozzone is a splendid one to beholdStephenCozzone is a splendid one to beholdStephenCozzone is a splendid one to beholdStephenCozzone is a splendid one to beholdStephenCozzone is a splendid one to beholdStephenCozzone is a splendid one to beholdStephenCozzone is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 810
Re: Best Headphones on a Budget

Please delete this thread.
StephenCozzone is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:18 AM   #17
taylorfrank
Savage Mad Cunt
taylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MC
Denver
MC Status: 20112

sennheiser HD-25 II

------------------
taylorfrank is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:56 AM   #18
Marklar
Ghostly
Arkansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by scyn View Post
A good pair of headphones is a decent place to start imo. And they're a lot cheaper than studio monitors.
Just for clarity, I meant headphone monitors, not loudspeaker monitors. I didn't mean to bring loudspeakers into it. Cans can be monitors too, don't you know.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:39 AM   #19
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\
MC Status: 389883256
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,084 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marklar View Post
Cans can be monitors too, don't you know.
Yeah - they can be a monitoring source, fair enough - but people don't refer to monitor headphones as monitors. The term 'monitor' implies a studio monitor and is always used in that context: "dude - you should get (a pair of) monitors", "your mix could really benefit from being referenced on monitors" etc.
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:44 AM   #20
nowaysj
Microknight
nowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MCnowaysj is a savage MC
MC Status: 226958

Beyerdynamic DT 770. Very good. Accurate bass, better than most low end monitors.

Advertisements

------------------
nowaysj is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote