Acoustic Treatment, What, Why and How?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 05-23-2012, 08:29 PM   #1
taylorfrank
Savage Mad Cunt
taylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MC
Denver
MC Status: 20062
Acoustic Treatment, What, Why and How?

The most important thing you can have in your studio is also the most overlooked. Many people have many opinions on acoustics and there is a lot of false info out there. It's my goal with this write up to inform you on what proper acoustic treatment is, why you need it, and how to go about adding treatment.

First off, allow me to dispel a couple myths.

Myth 1: Acoustic treatment is soundproofing.
Reality: WRONG! Soundproofing is preventing noise from entering and exiting a room. Acoustic treatment is controlling the sound within a room to prevent peaks, nulls, and ringing. In fact, acoustic treatment will make the sound from your speakers seem quieter, meaning you turn up the volume, possibly making the noise bleeding out of your room worse!

Myth 2: I can just slap some acoustic foam, or even bed foam or eggcrate on my walls.
Reality: DON'T DO IT!!!! This will only make things worse. Tossing some foam on the walls will deaden the highs and high mids, leaving the bass untouched. Its harder to perceive bass problems, but they are just as real and much more important (especially in electronic music).

What is proper acoustic treatment?

Proper acoustic treatment is intended to solve a few different issues. Lets just focus on small rooms (Smaller than 20'x20'). The first, and most common issue is the development of peaks and nulls.
These are most common and prominent in bass frequencies.

Here is an example of the peaks and nulls in my studio without any acoustic treatment.

As you can see, there are tons of peaks and valleys. This is typical of small rooms.
People talk about monitors coloring the sound, but look at the null at 120Hz! Talk about coloration!

Another common problem is modal ringing. The easiest way to describe ringing is for you to go into a small empty, square room, or a long hallway and clap your hands. Clap p p p p p. This is also referred to as flutter echo.

Here is a graph of the decay in my room before treatment.
The graph is a rendering of the frequency response over time.

Notice the bass is still ringing all around after a solid 400ms. Most people reading this have dealt with latency or delay time in audio effects, so you know how long 400ms can be in the audio world.

Question: How do I fix my room??????

Answer:
Absorption and Diffusion.
Mostly absorption.

In a nutshell, broadband basstraps and lots of them.
DIY basstraps are the cheapest solution, and are quite easy to build.

For my room, I chose Live End Dead End treatment style. That is to have one end of the room (the side you face while listening) completely dead, and the back wall a bit more live to keep the room comfortable and to prevent adding too much reverb, while still keeping bass under control.

I built 10 superchunk basstraps for my room based on my own designs, as well as an array of diffusers for the back wall. I also built three typical 2'x4'x4" broadbands and two 2'x'2'4" ones.

For the wall to wall corners I built frames out of 1"x2"s. It's much like a painting canvas frame, the height of the room, and the width of a 2"x1"x"8' split into three equal sections (top, middle and bottom supports). The final size was 8'x 32" x 1". I then covered them in fabric.

Next I cut fluffy fiberglass insulation into triangles to fit into the corners behind the frames.
I stacked the insulation, using twine stapled to the wall to keep from compressing and/or falling over.
Next I attached the frame built to the wall covering the insulation.
In the pic you can see a finished, mounted frame. and in the bottom right, an unfinished frame.

These were super easy to build, cheap and are are extremely effective.

I had a similar design on the wall to ceiling corners, only instead of cutting triangles, I just tossed straight bats of insulation behind them and tied them to the ceiling. (If you want detailed info on those LMK)

My favorite bass traps were the wall to floor corners. My friend and I built tables, and stuffed them with fiberglass.

The first step was to build a table from 2x4s and chipboard.

The dimensions of the table are up to you. We chose 18" deep 8' long and something like 4ft high.

After building the tables, we added a grid structure of twine to hold the fiberglass.

Then stuffed them with the glass (half done in pic).

Then wrapped them with fabric.

TADA! CDJ stand, the other wall acts as the synth stand!

For the diffusers on the back wall I went with this design:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

As for the ceiling...We built a 4in thick cloud, 32"x8'.
I'll do a separate thread on that, I'm making one for a friend this week.

You can get a good feel for how the traps are setup in this shot.

And now.... The after treatment graphs!

As you can see, my room sounds exceptionally tight. Mixes translate and I can hear all the detail I paid for in my monitors. (I can also get a very clean vocal recording).

Still working on the null at 50Hz....

Perhaps I'll do a thread on tuned traps as I fix that.

Hope this helps all of you! Feel free to at your own tips and fire away with questions.

2016 Edit.

Here is my current studio,
You can learn more about it here: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

It's a custom built room, totally tuned. Almost perfect response, I'll see if I can get some waterfalls soon.

The front corners are 4 ft deep bass traps and the rear wall has an 18ish inch deep QRD diffuser.

Last edited by taylorfrank; 02-06-2016 at 07:09 AM..

Advertisements

------------------
taylorfrank is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:41 AM   #2
Ap0C552
Digital Surfer
Ap0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to behold
Winnipeg
MC Status: 848
Re: Acoustic Treatment, What, Why and How

Nice post. I just set up my monitors and have a massive peak at 140
hz. I don't think my bass traps did much to fix that either.
Ap0C552 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:36 AM   #3
MeshNation
MeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MC
Edinburgh
MC Status: 129798497

Another point to make about the peaks and nulls in the graph is that (I assume in your case as well) the readings are taken using a sine sweep with the reference mic at the listening position. You might find that by moving the listening position forward or back slightly (or slightly altering the monitor placement) you move out of that. Then put a couple of pieces of tape on the floor to mark the seating position and you know that's your sweet spot.

And a good point about using tuned traps. Once you've done as much as you can with the broadband, you can identify specific problems with specific solutions such as panel absorber or Helmholtz resonator. The formulae for calculating the required dimensions for dealing with a specific frequency for both kinds of trap [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Last edited by MeshNation; 05-24-2012 at 05:41 AM..
MeshNation is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:51 AM   #4
Evelon
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214387248
Thanked 2,776 Times in 1,735 Posts

Great post! I wish I had been at you level when I was 22, back in the days.

Also, have you thought of doing a Helmholtz resonator, dialing in on the 50Hz?

edit: btw, what analyzer software did you use (screen dumps)?
edit2: Ah, Meshnation already mentioned Helmholtz.

Last edited by Evelon; 05-24-2012 at 07:11 AM..

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:41 AM   #5
mimicry
Deep Underground
mimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MC
MC Status: 6715879

Nice, the tabletraps are indeed a great idea.

And of course we want more detailed info on the wall to ceiling corners, especially on how you mounted them.

------------------

Mimicry - Felt Like Walking:
mimicry is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #6
taylorfrank
Savage Mad Cunt
taylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MC
Denver

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeshNation View Post
Another point to make about the peaks and nulls in the graph is that (I assume in your case as well) the readings are taken using a sine sweep with the reference mic at the listening position. You might find that by moving the listening position forward or back slightly (or slightly altering the monitor placement) you move out of that. Then put a couple of pieces of tape on the floor to mark the seating position and you know that's your sweet spot.

+1
The tape idea is a great one, I have a little taped X at my sweet spot! Makes it easy to reference at the exact same place.

You always need to tune your monitor positions too. One inch can be the difference between straight up phaze cancellation.

------------------
Old 05-24-2012, 07:16 PM   #7
taylorfrank
Savage Mad Cunt
Denver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ap0C552 View Post
Nice post. I just set up my monitors and have a massive peak at 140
hz. I don't think my bass traps did much to fix that either.
how thick are your bass traps? And how many?

------------------
Old 05-24-2012, 07:19 PM   #8
taylorfrank
Savage Mad Cunt
Denver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
Great post! I wish I had been at you level when I was 22, back in the days.

Also, have you thought of doing a Helmholtz resonator, dialing in on the 50Hz?

edit: btw, what analyzer software did you use (screen dumps)?
edit2: Ah, Meshnation already mentioned Helmholtz.
Thanks for the link!
I used a program called Room EQ Wizard

Free for PC users, although you still need an omni-directional test mic.

------------------
Old 05-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #9
christiancoriol
Granular Poster
christiancoriol has a spectacular aura aboutchristiancoriol has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

Great and important thread! Have a small room myself, that I am slowly fixing up with absorbers.
A friend of mine has a somewhat larger control room, which he has done nothing to. It's pretty much impossible to hear anything in there (in the critical listening sense, I mean).

I'm still too much of a rookie to post links here, but anyone really interested in getting this stuff right, should seriously check out John Sayer's forum and anything written by Ethan Winer. That should do it.
christiancoriol is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: my son coughing in his sleep
Old 05-24-2012, 10:30 PM   #10
taylorfrank
Savage Mad Cunt
Denver

+1 for Ethan

------------------
Old 05-25-2012, 12:43 AM   #11
Ap0C552
Digital Surfer
Ap0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to behold
Winnipeg

Quote:
how thick are your bass traps? And how many?
I have only one in each corner (2). They consist of 3 batts ea. of R20x24" pink fibreglass insulation rolled into cylindrical shape and placed (constrained) inside of a sewn fabric outside.

Think of two 6' tall by 8" round cylinders standing in each corner.

I need improve this with the target frequency being about 140hz. Though I think the rolling of the insulation increased its density significantly so my traps are targeting more along the 50hz range.

Last edited by Ap0C552; 05-25-2012 at 12:47 AM..
Old 05-26-2012, 12:08 PM   #12
christiancoriol
Granular Poster
christiancoriol has a spectacular aura aboutchristiancoriol has a spectacular aura about

@Ap0C552:
Why roll the batts? Wouldn't it be better to place them flat across the corner instead?
That's what I've seen recommended most places anyway...
Old 05-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #13
gbsr
gbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MC
gothenburg, sweden.
MC Status: 33141603

bump for sticky.

------------------
gbsr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:38 PM   #14
Ap0C552
Digital Surfer
Winnipeg

Quote:
@Ap0C552:
Why roll the batts? Wouldn't it be better to place them flat across the corner instead?
That's what I've seen recommended most places anyway...
I imagine it would be very similar results (if I did not compress them).

But from a logistics standpoint it was the easiest way to get insulation in the corners while still looking good, as well as containing the insulation within fabric to prevent me from breathing, smelling and seeing it.

I think I am going to change to the triangular uncompressed method. But I will still need to think of a way to contain it within fabric, and without modifying the room since it is an apartment.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:08 PM   #15
taylorfrank
Savage Mad Cunt
Denver

Quote:
I have only one in each corner (2). They consist of 3 batts ea. of R20x24" pink fibreglass insulation rolled into cylindrical shape and placed (constrained) inside of a sewn fabric outside.

Think of two 6' tall by 8" round cylinders standing in each corner.

I need improve this with the target frequency being about 140hz. Though I think the rolling of the insulation increased its density significantly so my traps are targeting more along the 50hz range.
To begin with, you should uncompress the fiberglass. The triangle method (as you mentioned) would be great. Fluffy fiberglass is better for low frequencies then ridged.

Honestly, you could stand to have quite a bit more bass trapping in your room. Try building some 2'x4'x6" traps. They are pretty easy to move around and you can make a base on them out of 2x4s so you don't have to mount them on the wall, if thats a problem.

------------------
Old 05-26-2012, 09:11 PM   #16
taylorfrank
Savage Mad Cunt
Denver

Quote:
But I will still need to think of a way to contain it within fabric, and without modifying the room since it is an apartment.
Try my method. Build a frame from 1" x 2" boards. Make it just under the height of your room. I fixed mine together with wood glue and staples. wrap that in fabric and stick it in the corner. contains fiberglass quite nicely.

------------------
Old 05-27-2012, 09:20 AM   #17
christiancoriol
Granular Poster

What Taylorfrank said. Just wrap individual batts in fabric - the moment you place it over a corner, it becomes a basstrap (well, probably more of a broadband absorber, but most of us need a lot of those). Portable even. Just make sure the fabric you use will let air through. I am going to use cheap and thin cotton fabric - the kind used for shirts actually. Before you buy, hold a piece of it over you mouth and see if you can breathe through it/blow through it fairly easily. If you can't, then sound waves can't either. I just went down to the local sewing shop and did that - looked real clever too...

Google "diy basstraps" and you'll be up and running.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:20 PM   #18
Ap0C552
Digital Surfer
Winnipeg

Quote:
Before you buy, hold a piece of it over you mouth and see if you can breathe through it/blow through it fairly easily. If you can't, then sound waves can't either. I just went down to the local sewing shop and did that - looked real clever too...
The fabric I bought was the cheapest one they had at the fabric shop, it is kind of tight woven, and very thin. I can breathe through it, but not as easy as a cotton t-shirt. But Won't it just hinder higher frequencies if anything? I am pretty sure lower frequencies will penetrate this super thin fabric with ease no?
Old 05-27-2012, 07:19 PM   #19
christiancoriol
Granular Poster

Well, the idea is for all frequencies to penetrate the fabric and hit the mineral wool - where the sound waves will dissipate their energy = be absorbed. You would certainly want cloth that will let ALL frequencies through - at least in a broadband absorber.

I believe John Sayers (or was it Ethan Winer?) talks about using batts with kraft paper on the outside, to actually reflect the highs. At the same time, lower frequencies will still be attenuated. This could be good if you need the low end attenuation, but don't want to suck all the highs out at the same time (IE you already have plenty of high end absorption in your room).
Old 05-27-2012, 07:33 PM   #20
Ap0C552
Digital Surfer
Winnipeg

Here is another problem I have. My space is VERY small. This is obviously a problem for bad bass peaks, but it is also a problem for fitting large bass traps in the corner. This ia another reason I did cylindrical ones.

A 2'x4'x6" rectangular one would not fit. So I guess I will have to do the triangle ones with a right angle triangle size of 12"x12"x17" stacked all the way from floor to ceiling.

What about good secondary positions for large rectangular bass traps?

I have thin 1.5'x2' boards with thin 4" insulation applied to them with fabric over. These are positioned on the side walls at the first reflection point. Should I replace these with beasty broadband bass traps?

Or maybe a 2'x4'x6" bass trap on the center of the back wall will help?

I work at the largest building materials yard in the province, and with my unreal discount, trial and error is not a problem for me

EDIT:

Here is an old picture where you can see how confined it really is in there.

Last edited by Ap0C552; 05-27-2012 at 07:37 PM..

Advertisements

Acoustic Treatment, What, Why and How? Tags
absorption and diffusion, acoustic treatment, studio