The studio monitors thread
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 05-06-2012, 02:02 AM   #1
FakeBass
Soundscaper
FakeBass has a reputation beyond reputeFakeBass has a reputation beyond reputeFakeBass has a reputation beyond reputeFakeBass has a reputation beyond reputeFakeBass has a reputation beyond reputeFakeBass has a reputation beyond reputeFakeBass has a reputation beyond reputeFakeBass has a reputation beyond reputeFakeBass has a reputation beyond reputeFakeBass has a reputation beyond reputeFakeBass has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 3337
The studio monitors thread

Alright so I looked around the forums searched for it and could not find a comprehensive thread on studio monitors so I decided to start something like a master list and an " All you need to know about Studio Monitors" thread.

So basically this will be a discussion and suggestion thread that will critically look at studio monitors and evaluate them based on statistics and personal experiences of members. I am not all that knowledgeable in this topic, but I have some basics and would love for other members to contribute. Here is how its going to work . There will be a few " master suggestions" such as monitor placement and room treatment.

Secondly there will be a sort of educational part on how monitors work and what the different specs mean and how they effect the sound. ( I would love some contribution from members on this one ).

Thirdly there will be 4 categories which divide the monitors by price range for BOTH MONITORS. Low end (100-500)$, Mid end (500-1000)$, High end ( 1000-4000)$ and finally Industry Breakthrough monitors (5000$+). There will be a breakdown of each monitor; Pros and Cons, price, specs, rating (from forum members and trusted gear review sites) and finally a picture to add some interest to the thread

Master Suggestions:
Make sure your room is acoustically sound. There are no reflections off the walls. Monitors are placed at equal distances from each other and from you forming a triangle with 60 degree angles:
It is optimal for your monitors to face the room LENGTHWISE since the lower frequencies have more space to travel so they don't bounce pack and cancel out frequencies.

Your monitors should be about 1 meter away from your wall and the centre between the two monitors should be the centre of your room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I<3HouseMusic View Post
for acoustics if you have wooden floor or tiles below you you will need to put a rug, acoustic foam/panels or something to absorb reflections on your roof, also dont back speakers into corners, make sure the drivers are at eye level and aimed at each ear, if you cant afford to cover your room in acoustic treatment cover the walls with cheap carpet, put them foam panels under your monitors to help how you feel the sub bass in your mix, and buy monitors that fit your room size ie... dont buy krk rokit 8s if your producing in a cupboard
MONITOR CALIBRATION IMPORTANT*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwaa View Post
i'm surprised everyone's raving on about proper placement and so on yet no-one has even bothered to mention calibration. if anything this is one of the most important things there is to setting up and placing your monitors correctly and using them at the right levels regardless of their price range or quality

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Resources:
Monitor Placement

You don't always have to get caught up in the complete symmetry thing. If your listening position between the monitors is in the centre of one axis of the room, you can get a lot of peaks and troughs there; sometimes it might be beneficial to move off-centre and improve the frequency balance at the expense of the accuracy of stereo imaging. The Studio SOS in the Feb '12 Sound on Sound discusses this. I'll post the link once the article is free.

Play back [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
and see how it sounds; you might find the results interesting...[/QUOTE]

HOW TO ACOUSTICALLY TREAT YOUR ROOM, GOOD THREAD (IMPORTANT!!)

Monitor Education: How do they work and what do all those number means?

*Will be updated soon*

The Monitor Breakdown:

1. Low End (100$-500$)

M-Audio Studiophile AV 40 Price: 150-200 USD

4" polypropylene-coated woofers

1" ferrofluid-cooled silk cone tweeters

OptImage III tweeter wave guides

20-watt-per-channel amplifier with Class A/B architecture

Frequency response at 3 Hz - 50 kHz: +1/-3 dB (trough at 45 kHz)

Estimate : 85 Hz - 20 kHz with 4 dB bandpass flatness

Pros : Compact , surprisingly transparent, Convenient volume control , headphone jack.

Cons : Lack of low end , No HF, LF adjustment knobs.

In Category Score 6/10

Industry relative score 4/10

Personal Note: I like the look of the monitors but they don't have enough power appeal or enough accurate sound representation.

Freq Response Chart:

Samson Resolv A5 Price : 250-320 USD
specsheet: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

official product page: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

"Gearslutz review User Review"
Sound Quality 8
Ease of use 8
Features 7
Bang for buck 9
Score: 80%

Pros: For the price, it has a sound that is usually reserved for more expensive monitors. It has a nice look and the sound of these are well articulated in the highs and mids, and the lows are nice and punchy.Attractive design and very easy to setup, has good power output, great sound quality and well built for it's asking price!

Cons: There is no xlr input.

2-way, active studio reference monitor with ported, tuned enclosure
5" carbon fiber woofer
1" silk dome tweeter with neodymium magnet, plus heat-sink and ferro-fluid cooling
Bi-amp power with 50 watts on LF driver and 25 watts on HF driver

2. Mid Range (500$-1000$)

Krk Rokit RP8 G2 Price: 550$-650$ USD

Low-Frequency:8" Aramid Glass Composite woofer
Mid-Frequency:N/A
High-Frequency:1" soft dome tweeter
Input Impedance (Ohms):10 K Ohm balanced
HF Level Adjust:-2dB, -1dB, 0, +1dB
High Frequency:20W
Mid-Frequency:N/A
Low Frequency:70W
Frequency Response:44Hz - 20kHz

Pros: Good Build Quality, Has HF adjustment knob, Respectable stereo imaging, decent sound quality.

Cons: Mids are a bit muddy, low end lacks a bit of definition
edit: i wholeheartedly disagree with that. clear and punchy low end imo - gbsr.

In Category Score 7/10

Industry relative score 6/10

3. High End (1000$-5000$)

Krk VXT 8 Price: 1300-1500$ USD

Configuration:2-Way
System type:Active Studio Monitor
Low-Frequency:8" Woven Kevlar woofer
High-Frequency:1" soft dome tweeter
Frequency Response:37Hz - 22kHz (+/- 3dB)

Max Peak SPL:114 dB
Amplifier Class:Class A-B
Power Output:180W
High Frequency:60W
Low Frequency:120W
Input Impedance (Ohms):10 K Ohm balanced
HF Level Adjust:+1dB shelf / Flat / -1dB shelf
LF Level Adjust:whole, half, quarter
System Volume-30dB - +6dB)
Auto Muteon / off)
Indicatorsower, Clip, Limit
Indicator Control:Clip Indicator (On / Off / Limit)
Input Connectors:
Balanced 1/4"/XLR Combo
Ground Lift:On / Off
AC Power Input:
Selectable 110V-120V / 220V-240V (50Hz - 60Hz) or 100V (50Hz - 60 Hz)
Enclosure Construction:Structural Foam
Finish:Black Textured Paint
Port Configuration:Front firing slot port
Grille:Optional
Mounting:Bottom
Compatable OmniMount:60.0 WBX
Dimensions (H x W x D):17.06" (433mm) x 12.51" (318mm) x 11.66" (296mm)
Weight:41 Lbs. (16.5 Kg.)

I personally own these monitors and I have to say I am QUITE Impressed. I had the krk rokit 8's before and at first it did not seem like there was much of a differance. It took me about 2 weeks for my ears to get adjust and i have to say, my god is there a world of difference. Nice tight bottom end clean mids and high , everything is just awesome. The only problem is that my room and monitors are not optimally set up so the mid is placed a bit back in the stereo field and the sides a bit too far front. Other then that my mixes translate QUITE well with these.

In category score 8.5/10
Industry relative score 8/10

4. Industry Breakthrough (5000$+)

This is a work in progress thread since it will require quite a bit of time to complete. If a moderator feels this is useful it be awesome to sticky it.

edit: added specsheet + product page for the samson a5's. - gbsr.

Last edited by FakeBass; 07-13-2012 at 03:51 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
Our latest work, remix for KATY B 5AM Remix Contest

FakeBass is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:36 AM   #2
Middie
Ghostly
Middie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MC
Melbourne
MC Status: 7202575
Re: The studio Monitors Thread

First thing, it's 60 degree angles to form an equilateral triangle. You can't have a triangle with 3 x 45degree angles.
Middie is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:30 AM   #3
FakeBass
Soundscaper
FakeBass has a reputation beyond reputeFakeBass has a reputation beyond reputeFakeBass has a reputation beyond reputeFakeBass has a reputation beyond reputeFakeBass has a reputation beyond reputeFakeBass has a reputation beyond reputeFakeBass has a reputation beyond reputeFakeBass has a reputation beyond reputeFakeBass has a reputation beyond reputeFakeBass has a reputation beyond reputeFakeBass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middie View Post
First thing, it's 60 degree angles to form an equilateral triangle. You can't have a triangle with 3 x 45degree angles.
Thank you, it said 45 degrees in my KRK manual... I fixed it

------------------

Old 05-06-2012, 10:10 AM   #4
kingsentry
Regular Freak
kingsentry will become famous soon enough
New Helvetia, California
MC Status: 60

What is acoustically sound? the triangle?
kingsentry is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:26 AM   #5
Sentimental
Ask Yourself
Sentimental is a savage MCSentimental is a savage MCSentimental is a savage MCSentimental is a savage MCSentimental is a savage MCSentimental is a savage MCSentimental is a savage MCSentimental is a savage MCSentimental is a savage MCSentimental is a savage MCSentimental is a savage MC
Belfast
MC Status: 755910

iv seen studio monitors at like $40,000 so i think you need to add a number 5 onto your list haha

also the biggest mistake i think people make is buying krk rokits because their mate has a pair lol

------------------
Sentimental is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:31 AM   #6
Sentimental
Ask Yourself
Sentimental is a savage MCSentimental is a savage MCSentimental is a savage MCSentimental is a savage MCSentimental is a savage MCSentimental is a savage MCSentimental is a savage MCSentimental is a savage MCSentimental is a savage MCSentimental is a savage MCSentimental is a savage MC
Belfast

for acoustics if you have wooden floor or tiles below you you will need to put a rug, acoustic foam/panels or something to absorb reflections on your roof, also dont back speakers into corners, make sure the drivers are at eye level and aimed at each ear, if you cant afford to cover your room in acoustic treatment cover the walls with cheap carpet, put them foam panels under your monitors to help how you feel the sub bass in your mix, and buy monitors that fit your room size ie... dont buy krk rokit 8s if your producing in a cupboard

------------------
Thanks to Sentimental
FakeBass (05-07-2012)
Old 05-06-2012, 10:39 AM   #7
TheIlladelph
Soundscaper
TheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MC
Boulder, CO
MC Status: 236874

I bought the KRK rokit 5's because its all I could afford, and I love the way the high's sound but the sub is so quiet they arnt even really worth it. They are seriously lacking bass. Anyone else have this problem? It really fucks with mixing because you have tO end up turning the bass down lower than you think sounds good.

------------------
TheIlladelph is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #8
kingsentry
Regular Freak
New Helvetia, California

Sweet, However wouldn't one want some natural reverb to really get some sound? At Least we don't all enjoy music in acoustically sound rooms? I'm thinking of subbing the foam under my monitors for a subwoofer
Old 05-06-2012, 11:04 AM   #9
DChowski
Soundscaper
DChowski is a savage MCDChowski is a savage MCDChowski is a savage MCDChowski is a savage MCDChowski is a savage MCDChowski is a savage MCDChowski is a savage MCDChowski is a savage MCDChowski is a savage MCDChowski is a savage MCDChowski is a savage MC
MC Status: 46727467

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsentry View Post
Sweet, However wouldn't one want some natural reverb to really get some sound? At Least we don't all enjoy music in acoustically sound rooms? I'm thinking of subbing the foam under my monitors for a subwoofer
i produce in a basement room with nothing but tile floors, and cement walls atm. theres so much natural reverb, that when i add any digital reverb to my mix i wind up not being able to really hear it, and then when i play it back on headphones or something like that it just sounds bad. maybe you'd want natural reverb for recording an instrument i.e a kick sample or something like that, but for other things, sometimes its best to just hear the sound how it truly is (this is where all the foam stuff comes into play). that way when someone listens to it in a room like mine it doesn't sound like its being played in a concert hall thats 300 yards long.
DChowski is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:21 AM   #10
Sentimental
Ask Yourself
Belfast

Quote:

though you have to remember the reverb is in your room, not in your daw, so if someone listens else where they will hear a completly different sound

------------------
Old 05-06-2012, 03:17 PM   #11
FakeBass
Soundscaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by I<3HouseMusic View Post
Haha i have a small room krk rokit 8's and my mixes turn out quite decent. I am planning on upgrading ASAP though

Last edited by FakeBass; 05-06-2012 at 03:22 PM..

------------------

Old 05-06-2012, 03:20 PM   #12
FakeBass
Soundscaper

Quote:
What is acoustically sound? the triangle?
Acoustically sound mean that there are no variables in your room effecting the sound coming out from the speakers. You have bass traps, sound isolation no frequency cancellations etc...

------------------

Old 05-06-2012, 04:30 PM   #13
gbsr
gbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MC
gothenburg, sweden.
MC Status: 33141603

well, i might consider to sticky this if this thread actually ends up anywhere. right now it's just a thread discussing monitors like all the other threads discussing monitors.

with that said, i got a really cheap pair of Samson Resolv A5's and i freaking love them, especially for that price. they are incredibly clear at all volumes and even in my incredibly wierdly furnished pieceofshit room they sound good. however, moving them over to Gusta'vs for a more optimal placement they sound freaking awesome. apparently they aren't really wellknown and some other resolv's from earlier in the series had some troubles but these sounds simply fantastic for a pair for 1.1k swedish.

------------------
gbsr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:46 PM   #14
TheFoxProj
Learning The Ropes
TheFoxProj is on a distinguished road
MC Status: 10

Yo guys, i was thinking about buy a good monitor, but if u can awserme some questions...
Is this "triangle" acoustic switable?
What about conners(90)?they will give me some troble?
Other "electronic devices"(like tv,radio, you know if use some radio waves) will generate some interference?

Thx to all
TheFoxProj is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:15 PM   #15
kingsentry
Regular Freak
New Helvetia, California

Swell. I have my Bx5's set up to so that I am the "vertex" of the "triangle". They have nice mid an hi at my face but the lower bass freqs gather behind me. So switching between headphones and my monitors gives me different sound and ideas to make adjustments. I've always thought some pricey monitors would fix this, but upon reading some of these posts, does it really matter? Buying some pricey fancy monitors for my workspace that has too many variables (not aucostically sound)?
Thanks to kingsentry
FakeBass (05-07-2012)
Old 05-07-2012, 12:16 AM   #16
FakeBass
Soundscaper

Quote:
Swell. I have my Bx5's set up to so that I am the "vertex" of the "triangle". They have nice mid an hi at my face but the lower bass freqs gather behind me. So switching between headphones and my monitors gives me different sound and ideas to make adjustments. I've always thought some pricey monitors would fix this, but upon reading some of these posts, does it really matter? Buying some pricey fancy monitors for my workspace that has too many variables (not aucostically sound)?
It does actually matter. Sound treatment is just absolutely necessary.

The lower price monitors muddy up the sound and don't represent frequencies the way they should. For example on a lower end monitors you might not be able to tell the differences between 60hz and 50 hz but on the higher end ones its clear as day... The same applies for other frequencies.

------------------

Old 05-07-2012, 01:07 AM   #17
FakeBass
Soundscaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbsr View Post
well, i might consider to sticky this if this thread actually ends up anywhere. right now it's just a thread discussing monitors like all the other threads discussing monitors.

with that said, i got a really cheap pair of Samson Resolv A5's and i freaking love them, especially for that price. they are incredibly clear at all volumes and even in my incredibly wierdly furnished pieceofshit room they sound good. however, moving them over to Gusta'vs for a more optimal placement they sound freaking awesome. apparently they aren't really wellknown and some other resolv's from earlier in the series had some troubles but these sounds simply fantastic for a pair for 1.1k swedish.
1.1k Sweedish krons? I will add it to the list

------------------

Old 05-07-2012, 01:18 AM   #18
FakeBass
Soundscaper

I would love if people do reviews on their monitors post them up on here and I will add them to the first post. Will save me a lot of time... I made one post just you guys can follow the structure . If more then one person does a review on the same monitor and gives a diff score I will average out the score

Last edited by FakeBass; 05-07-2012 at 01:22 AM..

------------------

Old 05-07-2012, 01:39 AM   #19
FakeBass
Soundscaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIlladelph View Post
I bought the KRK rokit 5's because its all I could afford, and I love the way the high's sound but the sub is so quiet they arnt even really worth it. They are seriously lacking bass. Anyone else have this problem? It really fucks with mixing because you have tO end up turning the bass down lower than you think sounds good.
I had the same problem when i had the facing width wise of my room. The lower frequencies don't have enough time to travel and end up bouncing back off the walls and cancelling each other out. Try facing them the way your room is the longest.

------------------

Old 05-07-2012, 08:22 AM   #20
penguinoid
Eternal Echoer
penguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MC
Berkeley, CA
MC Status: 507726

Quote:
Swell. I have my Bx5's set up to so that I am the "vertex" of the "triangle".
I'd buy some at least *better* monitors than the bx5a's, that was my first speaker set, I've moved on to the much maligned rokit 5's and checking bass on my dt770 headphones, but even that beats the crap out the bx5a's, those things are way too treble-rich, it just kind of ruins anything that goes through them.

Advertisements

------------------
penguinoid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote

The studio monitors thread Tags
studio monitors