Which decade has the best sounding music? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 22-06-2014, 10:45 PM   #41
Verace
Minor Glitch
Verace has a spectacular aura aboutVerace has a spectacular aura aboutVerace has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210
Re: Which decade has the best sounding music?

EDM wise?? I think we are living it right now. and ive been a fan for 15 years

Advertisements

------------------
Verace is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2014, 09:52 PM   #42
CocaineAudio
Soundscaper
CocaineAudio has much to be proud ofCocaineAudio has much to be proud ofCocaineAudio has much to be proud ofCocaineAudio has much to be proud ofCocaineAudio has much to be proud ofCocaineAudio has much to be proud ofCocaineAudio has much to be proud ofCocaineAudio has much to be proud of
Newark, New Jersey
MC Status: 1010

90's music .. i love hip hop and so many dope songs with so many dope vibes came from that music... and the 60's - 70's .. like al green teddy pendergrass etc .. i remembered i listened to an informercial which was promoting that time periods music and i was high as hell.. it sounded so beautiful to me i almost cried

------------------
Follow Me On Twitter: @SluRty
SlurRty Memories (Original Mix) *Released 6-18-14* =
CocaineAudio is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to CocaineAudio
CharlieTooHuman (30-06-2014)
Old 30-06-2014, 06:59 AM   #43
CharlieTooHuman
Minor Glitch
CharlieTooHuman is a jewel in the roughCharlieTooHuman is a jewel in the roughCharlieTooHuman is a jewel in the roughCharlieTooHuman is a jewel in the rough
Arlington, VA
MC Status: 310

^^^Agreed. The 90's was THE era for Hip Hop. Hip Hop was truly at its high point. And the 60-70's had so much going from rock, jazz, RnB, soul, funk... And even the early remnants of hip hop.

But, I'd say my favorite decade is the one we are currently in now. Everything from the past is kind of being rehashed, remixed, mashed together and revitalized in all kinds of new and WEIRD ways... And pretty much anyone can participate in it due to the widespread availability of the internet. I can literally go on soundcloud right now and hear something entirely new and different by some Joe Shmo that he recorded in his bathroom. This decade is a good time for music. It's almost celebratory of our past in a sense.
CharlieTooHuman is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:36 PM   #44
DoctaMario
Soundscaper
DoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MC
Ca$hville, TN
MC Status: 447799

If we're talking about sounds themselves, I'd have to go with the 70s, even if just for the drum sounds alone. From the early Police records, to the P-funk albums, and John Bonham's work with Zeppelin, I don't think drum sounds got better. They were clean, but not TOO clean. Even today a lot of the samples we use are based on or from 70's sounds.

There were some high points in the 80's but it was like everyone saw a lot of the digital recording and synth technology and was determined to shoehorn it where it didn't belong. It's one thing to hear that stuff on a Prince record, but some of the other stuff at the time that used it was like, O_o
DoctaMario is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to DoctaMario
PROton42 (17-07-2014)
Old 18-07-2014, 06:04 PM   #45
joshman108
Learning The Ropes
joshman108 is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

2010/s 1950/s 1900/s 1810/s
joshman108 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2014, 03:23 AM   #46
stem collector
IDMf Artist
stem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MC
seattle
MC Status: 74605010
Thanked 1,242 Times in 856 Posts

1810s??????

------------------
stem collector is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2014, 11:44 AM   #47
agreth
Master of the LFO
agreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MC
Sydney
MC Status: 1465792

going by my itunes collection, 60s and 90s.
agreth is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2014, 02:35 PM   #48
statedrone
Minor Glitch
statedrone has a spectacular aura aboutstatedrone has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

the underground house in 2k8
statedrone is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2014, 02:35 PM   #49
statedrone
Minor Glitch
statedrone has a spectacular aura aboutstatedrone has a spectacular aura about

all heil the fathers of electronic of today
statedrone is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2014, 03:05 PM   #50
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390148
Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,766 Posts

2040-2050

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Evelon
PROton42 (19-07-2014)
Old 19-07-2014, 04:51 PM   #51
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 34650
Thanked 4,126 Times in 2,688 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
2040-2050
Nothing but Trapwave, Dubcore and Vaporstep.

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2014, 05:27 PM   #52
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390148
Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,766 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Shit42 View Post
Nothing but Trapwave, Dubcore and Vaporstep.
Long gone. You forgot the post-war era and the musical/artistic revolution in 2038.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Evelon
PROton42 (19-07-2014)
Old 22-07-2014, 05:33 PM   #53
Anatolian
Granular Poster
Anatolian is just really niceAnatolian is just really niceAnatolian is just really niceAnatolian is just really nice
Antalya
MC Status: 360

2004 - 2014 because I dont remember the past (:

------------------
Anatolian is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 10:43 PM   #54
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65460
Thanked 1,309 Times in 987 Posts

I used to say the 1990s, but I recently bought some CD's from the 1990s and the mix quality is terrible even though the musical ideas are great. I guess it really depends upon each track. Some mixes from the 1990s were great, as were some from the 80s and the 2000s.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2014, 04:04 AM   #55
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC
Rocking my boat across the seven seas
MC Status: 115728

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldenHarris View Post
Hey, All!

I'm just wondering what decade or era you think has the best sounding music. I know everyone has their own preference for what sounds best and just wanted to hear some opinions on it.

Personally, it's a hard decision for me, and here are some of my thoughts on the sonic characteristics of some of the decades:

Pre-80s: Great musicianship with very primitive recording techniques. I think you find lots of extra noise in recordings. I think there's more of a natural sound and feel to the music that is charming.

80's: Sounds like they just discovered reverb and delay. Very overproduced sounding for the times. The decade has a strong emphasis on melody and image. I love 80's music!

90's: One thing stands out to me. I listened to a few pop albums from these times and realized how important the kick drum, bass, and vocals are for the mix during this decade. The vocal pretty much always provides the main melody while the drum and bass sit right there with it. All other sounds in the mix seem to only support the song and aren't very loud. Very interesting. I like.

00's: Loudness in music starts to get pushed further and further, and by the end of the decade, albums are almost as loud as it gets. Music in the latter half of the decade really has an "in your face" feel to it. Everything is more up-front, and the instrumentals play a more vital role. The melody's are shared by the instrumentation and vocals (as compared to the 90's). More advanced techniques are used, and the music often has a more pumping feel.

Personally, I love the 90's because of the very "light" sounding mixes and emphasis on vocal talent. But I also love the "in your face" feel of modern music. But then again, I love the playfulness of the 80's. It's a hard decision as to which I think sounds the best. What do you guys think?
2010-> without a single doubt
Crude_beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2014, 04:08 AM   #56
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

Everything sucked before 2011-2012. I don't even know what I was listening to before then, but it's automatically shit.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 10:19 AM   #57
VenRoman
Minor Glitch
VenRoman will become famous soon enough
Colorado
MC Status: 60

90s early 2k for EDM

Just felt like more originality back then... now days feels like mainstream EDM (as weird as that sounds saying) is stuck in a rut in the U.S. anyways. Maybe that's because it's becoming mainstream. All music has cycles though.
VenRoman is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Chris Liberator and Sterling Moss
Old 01-08-2014, 06:39 PM   #58
xmissacidx
Minor Glitch
xmissacidx is a jewel in the roughxmissacidx is a jewel in the roughxmissacidx is a jewel in the roughxmissacidx is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 310

The early nineties was amazing for music!
xmissacidx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:13 PM   #59
Pr?m
Minor Glitch
Pr?m has a spectacular aura aboutPr?m has a spectacular aura about

If we're talking purely mainstream music I think the 70's were the best (used to be a big psychedelic rock head). The 90's were okay too. When it comes to music in general I couldn't really choose one, every decade was unique and had a shitload of great music
Pr?m is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:33 PM   #60
SJackson
Banned
SJackson has a spectacular aura aboutSJackson has a spectacular aura aboutSJackson has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldenHarris View Post
Pre-80s: Great musicianship with very primitive recording techniques. I think you find lots of extra noise in recordings.
LOL @ "very primitive recording techniques" and "lots of extra noise". Crack open a copy of Aja and educate yourself.

Advertisements

SJackson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote