Beat Battle 42 - You make music! You make it happen! - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Beat Battles A dedicated area to discuss Beat Battle contests

View Poll Results: Beat Battle 42 - You make music! You make it happen!
mute machine 1 10.00%
7asid 3 30.00%
Lug 1 10.00%
A.M 0 0%
MFXxx aks MrFx 0 0%
mnkvolcno 5 50.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-11-2016, 11:21 PM   #41
7asid
Knob Twiddler
7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute
Vancouver
MC Status: 8760
Re: Beat Battle 42 - You make music! You make it happen!

Thanks for the kind words mfxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFXxx View Post
Golden rule "never face out"

I've no idea what this means. What does it mean?

Advertisements

------------------
-------------------------------------------------

7asid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 11:28 PM   #42
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1837627

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7asid View Post
Thanks for the kind words mfxxx

I've no idea what this means. What does it mean?
TYPO "Fade" @ ur welcome

------------------
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 11:35 PM   #43
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC
a garden with a cassette player
MC Status: 20510

Quote:
@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Nice smooth job. Love the vocal works. Great to see you subbing again
Nice musicality to you track. Like the percs and drums. Lot of recognisable samples in there, nice variation and change at the end well done bud. Golden rule "never fade out" but this is BB so rules dont strictly apply in this sense.
achine You withdrawn your sub? Get it back on the board mate
I fixed it.

------------------
My Website:https://flootaboot.wordpress.com/

(all of my music is linked on my website)
mute machine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to mute machine
MFXxx (08-11-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 11:36 PM   #44
7asid
Knob Twiddler
7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute
Vancouver

Quote:
TYPO "Fade" @ ur welcome
Oh I guess I haven't read a discussion on that yet. What's your thoughts on that? I seem to always want to fade out but its not like I have too much to say in defense of that other than that I enjoy it on some tracks I've heard.

Nice oldschool feel on your track btw, I enjoyed it . I like the breaks in the structure. The compressed bongo hit felt a little loud in the mix but the beat is solid.

------------------

Old 08-11-2016, 11:45 PM   #45
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world

Quote:
Oh I guess I haven't read a discussion on that yet. What's your thoughts on that? I seem to always want to fade out but its not like I have too much to say in defense of that other than that I enjoy it on some tracks I've heard.

Nice oldschool feel on your track btw, I enjoyed it . I like the breaks in the structure. The compressed bongo hit felt a little loud in the mix but the beat is solid.
Totally agree on the bongos, not enough time to tame them tonight. My workflow involves a lot of back tracking.

I think fades are just generally seen as a cop out, for me very 80's pop rock (cant think of a specific track to example).

Thanks for the comments

------------------
Old 08-11-2016, 11:47 PM   #46
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 25960

in the nick of time.. phew.

------------------
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 11:52 PM   #47
7asid
Knob Twiddler
Vancouver

I'd say it's about as much of a cop out as ending at the end of the loop or at the beginning of the next measure. I like the open ended feel of it and the sense of continuous repetition and sometimes the vibe of a conclusion can call too much attention to itelf, its a little hard to put into words but tapering off with a fade out is a bit more low key if you'd rather go with that vibe. I think I haven't listened to enough 80's pop to develop the negative association but I understand. I don't know about ''golden'' or ''never'' though.

------------------

Old 09-11-2016, 12:00 AM   #48
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 183860
Thanked 3,677 Times in 2,739 Posts

Quote:
Totally agree on the bongos, not enough time to tame them tonight. My workflow involves a lot of back tracking.

I think fades are just generally seen as a cop out, for me very 80's pop rock (cant think of a specific track to example).

Thanks for the comments
Really nice work on your track, by the way..even if you think it's still a bit rough. This is going to be another one of those hard to vote for BBs I think.

Regarding the fade out thing..I personally don't think it's a cop out in general..kinda depends on an individual basis..but, granted, many seem to screw it up and use it on tracks where it just doesn't work at all.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 12:03 AM   #49
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80993580
Thanked 4,067 Times in 2,639 Posts

volcno! shit man! fucking groovy

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Lug
mnkvolcno (09-11-2016)
Old 09-11-2016, 12:15 AM   #50
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

OK..here's what I've come up with after two hours. I know it's got more holes in it than a lump of Swiss Cheese, but this is the BBs after all..and I've taken it as far as I could in the two hours I've had to work on it..

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

I know I can do a hell of a lot more to it..but I doubt I could do much more before midnight, so I'm upping it "as it",,a WIP that needs attention..and obviously isn't in the running for any votes. Like I said before, I'm only posting this as I promised I would get something done for this one, as well as support the rest of you who actually did turn out something solid for this.

By the way..every track posted so far sounds really good..but I think I already have one earmarked for my vote.

------------------
Old 09-11-2016, 03:38 AM   #51
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 25960

all real solid as usuall..

I'm voting lugs as it just suits my taste the most. The end part was really well done IMO. The subtle syncopated kick with the womppy pad and that high arpy thing... complicated but not beating you over the head. I dug it.

@AM your's was real solid to me, again tasteful. Especially considering that you did it so fast.

ddududuuuduuuddee... this one is real sick. I think you had the best quality mix. Sounds real good on my lil living room setup. Really kept my interest throughout and had a fun vibe.

sick and moody and slightly funny to me, as usual. It's your style and I dig it. Even though I can tell that it was just off the cuff.

the last 1/3 of yours with the housey beat is super tight. Really dug it. You know what you're doing.

------------------
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 10:12 AM   #52
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC

all those tracks are so good, it's intimidating. I haven't put half the work some of you have done to squeeze these sounds out of the samples.

mistereffeks; you're the only one who almost used the entire soundbank. There's a lot happening in your track with all those tiny edits and single hits. And I like how it hits hard right at the start.

mutemachine: that horror movie soundtrack. You kept it simple, and you really captured a mood.

A.M.: kudos for participating even though you only had two hours to listen to the samples and arrange the whole thing. I like swiss cheese. I like it in sandwiches. We do have way tastier cheese around here, but a bit of swiss cheese is ok when I make burgers for example. That's my comment on your track I hope you like it. Seriously though, what you posted is obviously at the wip stage, but the base is already pretty solid, I like the droney flange-y special effects.

7asid: now I commented right when you posted, but again I am amazed by the sounds you got from the samples. The melodic input is inspired and original. Again the treatment on that sound is top notch. The experimentation factor is there representing as well. And there are three different parts in your track! how much inspiration can a single man get from a pack of samples?

MC volcano: your track just sounds like something I would listen to. It's IDM to the purest. Reminded me of Nautilis (remember malcom kipe? remember idm?). It's got the contrast between tight rhythm and dreamy melodic content, it's got the glitches. Also the bassline sounded very natural, like something you would play on a bass guitar. I have a bit of a bias I think because when I played it I thought "it's like my track is the intro, and this is the track that follows". Seriously digging it.

So my vote goes to volcano

it's always so exciting to listen to the bbs

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Old 09-11-2016, 10:19 AM   #53
Valk
Microknight
Valk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 3110

My headphones broke yesterday so I can't listen or produce, and I accidentally Clintoned a partition with 740gb of samples, projects, games, pictures of the ex... RIP me

Well done to all of you who have submitted, the turnout is great
I'm getting new headphones later today and i'll give you all a listen

------------------
check out my Nest in progress
Valk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Valk
Lug (09-11-2016)
Old 09-11-2016, 10:22 AM   #54
Lug
Soxdix

haha "clintoned"

I just checked and apparently the last bb I participated in before this one was #22. I can't believe I let 20.. what 20 months? How long do they last? 2 weeks? so that's 10 months? crazy.

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Old 09-11-2016, 06:27 PM   #55
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
My own little world

THE CONTENDORS ... VOTE FOR A BETTER BEAT BATTLE (Mexicans welcome)

mute machine

7asid

Lug

A.M

MFXxx aka MrFx

mnkvolcno

Voting ends Thursday 10/11/16

If I missed any subs PM hopefully all ok as voting buttons are up

Last edited by MFXxx; 09-11-2016 at 06:46 PM..

------------------
Thanks to MFXxx
A.M (09-11-2016)
Old 09-11-2016, 07:12 PM   #56
A.M

It was a tough choice tbh, but my vote went to 7asid for..what is for me anyway..a very retro sounding track; it just reminds me so much of some of Jean Michell Jarre's stuff from the 80s..mainly the "Revolutions" Docklands concert he did back then..which I was totally into at the time. Still like and appreciate his music..hence me liking this track so much. Nice work..kudos, mate.

It had stiff competition in the form of MFXxx's track, which used so many samples..or seemed to..in such a stylish way..and the production level in general on that track just shines..seriously!

If we had to mark just on technical standards alone, then MFXxx's track would have stolen my vote right out of the gate..but I always tend to vote for the track that I like to listen to the most, rather than basing my choice on how sophisticated or stylish the production skills used are.

LSS..7asid gets my vote simply because I really liked listening to the track..my kind of music I guess..but my thanks to everyone else for taking part and turning in such quality stuff all round. Nice one, guys..seriously.

------------------
Old 09-11-2016, 09:58 PM   #57
Lug
Soxdix

love those countdowns. nice touch

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Old 10-11-2016, 01:08 AM   #58
7asid
Knob Twiddler
Vancouver

mute machine did you vote for yourself?

------------------

Thanks to 7asid
A.M (10-11-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 01:21 AM   #59
A.M

Quote:
Well spotted!

------------------
Old 10-11-2016, 03:11 AM   #60
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC
a garden with a cassette player
MC Status: 20510

Quote:
totally, as much of a dick move as it is to say this, I didn't really like any of the entries this time around...it felt weird for trying to vote for a track I didn't like...

is that allowed?
I don't know, it's nothing against you guys, I really hope that you don't take it that way.

Last edited by mute machine; 10-11-2016 at 03:20 AM..

Advertisements

------------------
My Website:https://flootaboot.wordpress.com/

(all of my music is linked on my website)
mute machine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote