Can someone make a MIDI of this beat?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Go Back » The Studio » The Studio
Old 16-06-2015, 09:03 PM   #1
Ṣalim
Minor Glitch
Ṣalim will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60
Can someone make a MIDI of this beat?

I'm trying to replicate the drums of this song to learn from it, but I'm having issues with it,

n5md(dot)bandcamp(dot)com/track/peonies-fall-for-kings-edit
(drums begin at ~50 sec)

Can you help?

Thanks.

Advertisements

Ṣalim is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 09:11 PM   #2
candlesayshi
Imperfect
candlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 39281249
Thanked 1,174 Times in 754 Posts
Re: Can someone make a midi of this beat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ṣalim View Post
I'm trying to replicate the drums of this song to learn from it
Cool.

Quote:
Can you help?
Doesn't that defeat the point?

------------------
candlesayshi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 09:21 PM   #3
Ṣalim
Minor Glitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by candlesayshi View Post
Doesn't that defeat the point?
Not really. I just need a little help.
Old 16-06-2015, 09:23 PM   #4
Dataf1ow
IDMf Artist
Dataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MC
MC Status: 47763902

Quote:
Not really. I just need a little help.
What he's trying to say (and you should listen) is that you'd learn much more by doing it yourself.

------------------
Dataf1ow is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Dataf1ow
Alert (27-06-2015)
Old 16-06-2015, 09:29 PM   #5
Andantonius
Sample Destroyer
Andantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 7610

Someone else doing the work for you won't make you a better producer or help you understand what's going on. Do your best to study and replicate it yourself, then tell us what specifically is giving you trouble and share what you've got so far. Then we can give you some suggestions and you can apply them.

The only way to get better is to try, fail, and try again.

Without knowing what you've done, I would suggest trying to copy it one measure at a time. Don't try and copy the whole beat; try to replicate one drum at a time, then put them in place one at a time to avoid getting overwhelmed.
Andantonius is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Andantonius
Alert (27-06-2015)
Old 16-06-2015, 09:47 PM   #6
Ṣalim
Minor Glitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andantonius View Post
Someone else doing the work for you won't make you a better producer or help you understand what's going on. Do your best to study and replicate it yourself, then tell us what specifically is giving you trouble and share what you've got so far. Then we can give you some suggestions and you can apply them.

Without knowing what you've done, I would suggest trying to copy it one measure at a time. Don't try and copy the whole beat; try to replicate one drum at a time, then put them in place one at a time to avoid getting overwhelmed.
Okay. I see. Well, I got the very BASIC done (I think).
Kicks:
|x---|--xx|--x-|----
Snares:
|--x-|----|----|x----

Weird pattern... Anyways, the rest is hard. So many polyrhythms... >_>... [other thread]
Old 16-06-2015, 10:47 PM   #7
Andantonius
Sample Destroyer
Andantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 7610

Yeah, there's a lot going on but it's just a matter of breaking it down, once you identify each part you'll find that each thing is pretty much just repeating the same simple, it's only when they're all combined that it sounds complex.

The main rhythm I'm hearing is in 16th notes, with bold letters being the hits:
One e and a two e and a three e and a four
or, with K as kick, P as percussion / tom and S as snare / tambourine:
K - P P S - P K - - K - S

There's a lot of hats and smaller percussion that dance around that in various patterns, and there might be some occasional kick / snare grace notes and fills, but that's the main, repeating beat. Usually that core is the main thing to figure out, and you can add the filler stuff around it by feel.

Last edited by Andantonius; 16-06-2015 at 10:53 PM..
Andantonius is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 11:15 PM   #8
Str8Jaketed
Str8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MC
GET OFF MY LAWN!
MC Status: 33060

Nothing wrong with throwing in some ghost notes all along the way then muting them each out until you get what you are after.Don;'t foget about those triplets and dotteds.

------------------
“A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”Frank Zappa

“Hell is full of musical amateurs.” -George Bernard Shaw
Str8Jaketed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Str8Jaketed
Alert (27-06-2015)
Old 16-06-2015, 11:57 PM   #9
lectrixboogaloo
Minor Glitch
lectrixboogaloo is just really nicelectrixboogaloo is just really nicelectrixboogaloo is just really nicelectrixboogaloo is just really nicelectrixboogaloo is just really nice
MC Status: 410

I know fl and renoise both have facilities to chop and place a (well cut) beat for you on you sequencer.

That said, you don't so much need that if you would just cut and loop it on one track and get it in time with your sequencer you should easily be able to see where most of the different hits are by watching your daw's sequence cursor. If not, slow it dooooown.... copy, speed back up. Just like tracing a comic book when you were a kid, right?
lectrixboogaloo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 05:25 PM   #10
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744031641
Thanked 7,284 Times in 4,525 Posts

You need to get Recycle or whatever the free equivalent is these days.
It'll slice the beat up for you automatically and you can go through every single hit and move it as you like.
This is absolute beginners stuff, nothing much to do really, just chuck in the beat, set the quantisation and hit go.
It's a 2 second process.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2015, 03:52 PM   #11
Alert
Soundscaper
Alert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond repute
Oblivion Fringe
MC Status: 4271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andantonius View Post

------------------
Alert is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 01:25 PM   #12
Grimbit
IDMf Supporter
Grimbit has a reputation beyond reputeGrimbit has a reputation beyond reputeGrimbit has a reputation beyond reputeGrimbit has a reputation beyond reputeGrimbit has a reputation beyond reputeGrimbit has a reputation beyond reputeGrimbit has a reputation beyond reputeGrimbit has a reputation beyond reputeGrimbit has a reputation beyond reputeGrimbit has a reputation beyond reputeGrimbit has a reputation beyond repute
Scotland
MC Status: 7760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dataf1ow View Post
What he's trying to say (and you should listen) is that you'd learn much more by doing it yourself.
or get a ghost producer and let them deal with all that stuff

Advertisements

Grimbit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote