Favorite Modular/Programming Environment? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Modular software & programming MaxMSP, Reaktor, Pure Data, Jeskola BUZZ, and other modular programs. Any questions relating to these programs (patching, favorite ensembles) should be posted in this forum.

View Poll Results: Favorite Modular/Programming Environment?
Native Instruments Reaktor 107 45.73%
Cycling '74 Max/MSP 42 17.95%
Plogue Bidule 11 4.70%
Pure Data 23 9.83%
Jeskola Buzz 16 6.84%
Audiomulch 11 4.70%
Nord Modular 11 4.70%
Synth Edit 7 2.99%
CSound 1 0.43%
Supercollider 5 2.14%
Chuck 0 0%
Voters: 234. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-06-2011, 08:37 PM   #41
Moté
Regular Freak
Moté has a reputation beyond reputeMoté has a reputation beyond reputeMoté has a reputation beyond reputeMoté has a reputation beyond reputeMoté has a reputation beyond reputeMoté has a reputation beyond reputeMoté has a reputation beyond reputeMoté has a reputation beyond reputeMoté has a reputation beyond reputeMoté has a reputation beyond reputeMoté has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 7825
Icon7 Re: Favorite Modular/Programming Environment?

Max for me more flexible and creative after you understand basics things .
works easily with arduino processing ...ANd jitter is an awsome and powerful environement .

VISUAL and sound > Max
AND now with M4L it confort(?) me to this choice.

Advertisements

Moté is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 06:32 AM   #42
DJ Saint-Hubert
Regular Freak
DJ Saint-Hubert will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60
Re: Favorite Modular/Programming Environment?

I use Buzz here... tried Bidule once but only managed to make some stupid noise tracks with it. How are the other environments as far as lag goes? Because with Buzz I had like 100 equalizers in one track or something like that with absolutely no slowdown. Only thing I don't like about Buzz is their envelope editor is kind of shit, wish it had some automatic curve stuff going on
DJ Saint-Hubert is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 06:00 PM   #43
ropoctopus
Learning The Ropes
ropoctopus is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Supercollider its soo goood !
ropoctopus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 06:33 PM   #44
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389798
Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,762 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Saint-Hubert View Post
Only thing I don't like about Buzz is their envelope editor is kind of shit, wish it had some automatic curve stuff going on
Try Ctrl+G (graphic mode) in Pattern XP. There you can draw your own envelopes, or interpolate between two values with ctrl+i (linear), or exponentiallly interpolate with ctrl+shift+i.

Or try [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
(generator folder). It has linear OR bezier curves that you can draw with Shift+LMB. If you want really intricate envelopes you can up the subticks value with ctrl+backspace (opens pattern options in pattern view).
Rightclick on PeerScream machine to assign it to any parameter.
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 05:32 PM   #45
Kind Dub
Regular Freak
Kind Dub is currently spamming hard

Reaktor..
Kind Dub is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:21 AM   #46
Kruddler
Regular Freak
Kruddler is currently spamming hard
Melbourne

I currently have Max For Live, and Reaktor. I have some fairly large criticisms for both, but between them, there is a very large base of patches that cover nearly every form of synthesis you can imagine. For ease of use, I obviously prefer Max For Live because it integrates in to Live a lot better than Reaktor. However, it seems that at first glance, Reaktor has a lot more depth than Max. I say this because it comes with many more interesting patches than Max, there are more interesting patches for download in the user library, and two of my favourite synths - Razor and Prism are Reaktor patches.

The thing that I absolutely hate about Reaktor and Max (but please correct me if I'm wrong) is that they don't seem to be able to leverage external VSTs from within the patch itself. I know you can chain VSTs up in any DAW, but the internal workings of the patches don't allow you to do this. I mean for example, you couldn't create an LFO patch and have that patch modulate a parameter in some external VST.

I guess that's where Usine comes in. I haven't actually evaluated this yet but it boasts some great functionality. OSC, Video Input, and TouchScreen support are all native to this modular synth. But, more importantly, this thing can be used to hook up to external VSTs so in that sense this thing should theoretically leave the other 2 I have already mentioned for dead. However, I have not tested this in practice so I have no idea if that is the case or not. The other downside is that it is Windows only.

At the end of the day, the only way you can sort this conundrum out is to buy all of them, fiddle with all the patches and see which system you naturally gravitate towards.
Kruddler is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:37 AM   #47
brb
Commie SJW
brb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MC
The Wrong Side Of History
MC Status: 69882819

I assume you must be wrong, unless you're right.

------------------
brb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:12 PM   #48
Trimethylene
Analog Lurker
Trimethylene is a savage MCTrimethylene is a savage MCTrimethylene is a savage MCTrimethylene is a savage MCTrimethylene is a savage MCTrimethylene is a savage MCTrimethylene is a savage MCTrimethylene is a savage MCTrimethylene is a savage MCTrimethylene is a savage MCTrimethylene is a savage MC
MC Status: 550946

What can be done in a modular synth that cannot be done with Ableton live's Native plugins?

Using effects racks, Drawn out envelopes with complete control (can be shaped completely to your preference), Additive oscillator synthesis, Sampling and multiple synth layering in instument rack and complete control over effect routing with audio effect rack, I just can't imagine any advantages, Any help here? (question is limited to software only)

Last edited by Trimethylene; 08-09-2011 at 04:20 PM..

------------------
Trimethylene is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:17 PM   #49
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269459108
Thanked 2,710 Times in 1,811 Posts

My favourite (and only) modualr environment is my small modualr rig, fuck that thing encourages you to try new things and it simply inspires you.
Plus it's got real knobs and real wires, no fucking mouse involved!

------------------
Automageddon is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:53 PM   #50
brb
Commie SJW
brb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MC
The Wrong Side Of History
MC Status: 69882819

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimethylene View Post
What can be done in a modular synth that cannot be done with Ableton live's Native plugins?

Using effects racks, Drawn out envelopes with complete control (can be shaped completely to your preference), Additive oscillator synthesis, Sampling and multiple synth layering in instument rack and complete control over effect routing with audio effect rack, I just can't imagine any advantages, Any help here? (question is limited to software only)
I think you've missed the point to some extent. Ableton Live is not a modular/programming environment.

------------------
brb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011, 02:04 AM   #51
Electron Pump
Regular Freak
Electron Pump is currently spamming hard
Seattle

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

I really want to get into Max/MSP, but it really intimidates me.
Electron Pump is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:10 AM   #52
glowsticks
Learning The Ropes
glowsticks is currently spamming hard

It's tough to beat the excitement of the real thing for me. Even if I can do more in a computer based environment and have it be more affordable. Its just not as fun or interesting as using real electronics. I don't hate on computer programs, I use them. I think to get the most of everything is too combine the two.
glowsticks is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:09 AM   #53
RajaResAlien
Minor Glitch
RajaResAlien is a savage MCRajaResAlien is a savage MCRajaResAlien is a savage MCRajaResAlien is a savage MCRajaResAlien is a savage MCRajaResAlien is a savage MCRajaResAlien is a savage MCRajaResAlien is a savage MCRajaResAlien is a savage MCRajaResAlien is a savage MCRajaResAlien is a savage MC
Oaktown
MC Status: 12733829

If we're talking audio programming environment in general, my favorite is SuperCollider:

(but maybe there's no need to add it if noone's mentioned it much here... then probably also have to add
CSound:

Chuck:

CLM:

...)

but i've used max/msp extensively too....
for anyone intimidated by Max, try this tutorial i made:

------------------
The dude: rajatheresidentalien.net
Behind the lights: renegadelights.net
RajaResAlien is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:51 AM   #54
stem collector
IDMf Artist
stem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MC
seattle
MC Status: 74605010
Thanked 1,242 Times in 856 Posts

I really love the Nord Modular editing software.

------------------
stem collector is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 08:14 PM   #55
Tom Webster
Knob Twiddler
Tom Webster is a savage MCTom Webster is a savage MCTom Webster is a savage MCTom Webster is a savage MCTom Webster is a savage MCTom Webster is a savage MCTom Webster is a savage MCTom Webster is a savage MCTom Webster is a savage MCTom Webster is a savage MCTom Webster is a savage MC
Newcastle Upon Tyne
MC Status: 126433

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron Pump View Post

I really want to get into Max/MSP, but it really intimidates me.
What is max msp its on alot of peoples profiles

------------------
Tom Webster is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 08:40 PM   #56
RajaResAlien
Minor Glitch
RajaResAlien is a savage MCRajaResAlien is a savage MCRajaResAlien is a savage MCRajaResAlien is a savage MCRajaResAlien is a savage MCRajaResAlien is a savage MCRajaResAlien is a savage MCRajaResAlien is a savage MCRajaResAlien is a savage MCRajaResAlien is a savage MCRajaResAlien is a savage MC
Oaktown
MC Status: 12733829

@Tom Webster
check it out:

it's a bit like reaktor, but it's a lower-level environment that adds video capabilities as well(oh... and one thing i always wish reaktor had: vst and au support... i mean, 'within' the environment, so's i can run vsts within my patch). crap, might as well go on with my comparison with reaktor so's i give both environs justice: reaktor has many pre-built professional sounding options, max/msp has more 'starter'-style kits/tutorials/examples(but you can get the same exact things in both environments at least in terms of audio, although, max/msp may also handle fft processes better or at least has pre-built solutions which i haven't seen as much of in reaktor). max/msp can be a bit more confusing because it's scheduler and audio thread are not automatically coupled together like in reaktor. so you have to specifically set max/msp's settings ('audio-in-interrupt', 'signal-overdrive' and vector size to something small) to have its timing as tight as reaktor's(this is by design, because some installation artists and video artists who use max/msp don't need tight signal control(they read data in the form of events from microcontrollers or video frames and such)).
you can also extend max/msp by writing your own externals in C. ...and you can also build your max/msp/jitter patch into a standalone app and sell it(right there within max/msp so's you don't really need to learn c or c++ or fuss with api/library/ide if you don't want to).
reaktor on the other hand, sounds pretty sick coming right out of the box, you might not be exposed to as wide a field of what's out there in terms of 'digital media' in general, but has a great toolset for making music(and with reaktor's corecell tech, you can still do what max/msp can do in terms of audio).

Last edited by RajaResAlien; 14-04-2012 at 08:46 PM..

------------------
The dude: rajatheresidentalien.net
Behind the lights: renegadelights.net
RajaResAlien is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #57
Tom Webster
Knob Twiddler
Tom Webster is a savage MCTom Webster is a savage MCTom Webster is a savage MCTom Webster is a savage MCTom Webster is a savage MCTom Webster is a savage MCTom Webster is a savage MCTom Webster is a savage MCTom Webster is a savage MCTom Webster is a savage MCTom Webster is a savage MC
Newcastle Upon Tyne
MC Status: 126433

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaResAlien View Post
@Tom Webster
check it out:

it's a bit like reaktor, but it's a lower-level environment that adds video capabilities as well(oh... and one thing i always wish reaktor had: vst and au support... i mean, 'within' the environment, so's i can run vsts within my patch). crap, might as well go on with my comparison with reaktor so's i give both environs justice: reaktor has many pre-built professional sounding options, max/msp has more 'starter'-style kits/tutorials/examples(but you can get the same exact things in both environments at least in terms of audio, although, max/msp may also handle fft processes better or at least has pre-built solutions which i haven't seen as much of in reaktor). max/msp can be a bit more confusing because it's scheduler and audio thread are not automatically coupled together like in reaktor. so you have to specifically set max/msp's settings ('audio-in-interrupt', 'signal-overdrive' and vector size to something small) to have its timing as tight as reaktor's(this is by design, because some installation artists and video artists who use max/msp don't need tight signal control(they read data in the form of events from microcontrollers or video frames and such)).
you can also extend max/msp by writing your own externals in C. ...and you can also build your max/msp/jitter patch into a standalone app and sell it(right there within max/msp so's you don't really need to learn c or c++ or fuss with api/library/ide if you don't want to).
reaktor on the other hand, sounds pretty sick coming right out of the box, you might not be exposed to as wide a field of what's out there in terms of 'digital media' in general, but has a great toolset for making music(and with reaktor's corecell tech, you can still do what max/msp can do in terms of audio).
Thanks for the reply I am going to look in to to getting it.

------------------
Tom Webster is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 05:06 PM   #58
ndwella
Soundwave Mangler
ndwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant future
burger king isles
MC Status: 1910

I've been using PureData for quite some time now, love how you can create lotsa stuff with it, and it is not that hard to learn.

I used Reaktor 5's trial as well and I liked it a lot too.
ndwella is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:07 PM   #59
perezslime
Regular Freak
perezslime is currently spamming hard

thought id chime in with my proverbial tuppence....

Been using Max for about 3yrs now... its by no means perfect but once ya get used to it its handy enough to work with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruddler View Post
The thing that I absolutely hate about Reaktor and Max (but please correct me if I'm wrong) is that they don't seem to be able to leverage external VSTs from within the patch itself. I know you can chain VSTs up in any DAW, but the internal workings of the patches don't allow you to do this. I mean for example, you couldn't create an LFO patch and have that patch modulate a parameter in some external VST.

You definitely can do this in max (max5 anyway) man. laptop is broken at the moment so i cant check but i'm fairly sure that you send the vst~ object the message "parameters" and it will dump a list of all of the controllable parameters. You then just use whichever parameter ya want as a message followed by the value you want to set it at. A quick check of the vst~ help/reference file will tell ya the exact message to send it in order to get the parameter names... only problem would be that you cant do this at audio/sample rate.
Not sure about reaktor though cos I've never used it...

Main problem I have with max (barring the fact that the scheduler can be a bit dodgy) is the lack of an easily accessible linear timeline. Seemingly in Max4 one of the objects (detonate for anyone interested) which had a graphical interface which gave you the ability to draw in midi sequences. Been workin on a couple of different ways to work with/around this for a while now but basically my experience is that you just have to approach using max differently than you would a daw like ableton etc.

Peace
perezslime is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:51 PM   #60
Syncretia
Analog Lurker
Syncretia is a savage MCSyncretia is a savage MCSyncretia is a savage MCSyncretia is a savage MCSyncretia is a savage MCSyncretia is a savage MCSyncretia is a savage MCSyncretia is a savage MCSyncretia is a savage MCSyncretia is a savage MCSyncretia is a savage MC
Melbourne
MC Status: 4711979

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezslime View Post
You definitely can do this in max
Yes. It turns out that you can do this in MaxForLive. I'm going to have to have more of a play with this. I've generally found that MaxForLive is good for Ableton utilities. But, as a modular synth, it's just terrible. I just find that everything is a fight.

I downloaded a C++ library a while back called Juce. Right out of the box it comes with a modular synth that allows you to load up as many VSTs as you want and quickly connect up the signal paths in a similar fashion to Reaktor, but with a much more user friendly interface. It's missing a lot of stuff like LFOs etc. but if I could be bothered getting used to C++ again, I'd extend that thing to do modular synthesis.

Advertisements

------------------
Syncretia is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote