Layering sounds and sounds in tune
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 29-05-2014, 06:05 PM   #1
iStarfox
Microknight
iStarfox is just really niceiStarfox is just really niceiStarfox is just really niceiStarfox is just really nice
Ireland
MC Status: 360
Layering sounds and sounds in tune

Hey guys,

So I am creating my own kicks, snares ect and I have a question when it comes to creating sounds in tune with each other. Ill use an example, say I have 3 samples for a snare, the low end, mid and top end.

The low end and top samples are in the key of G the mid sample is D, I would normally keep everything in tune but not always as I am creating what sounds good to my ear over anything else.

Now when I bounce these 3 samples together to create the final Snare sample seeing as the low end is in G will the Snare be in the key of G? with an overtone of D ?

Advertisements

iStarfox is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: You from under your bed... sshhh
Old 29-05-2014, 07:55 PM   #2
MORZ42
Analog Lurker
MORZ42 has a spectacular aura aboutMORZ42 has a spectacular aura about
Portland, Oregon
MC Status: 160
Re: Layering sounds and sounds in tune

It will be in the key of A minor, that's for sure.

------------------
MORZ42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 08:27 PM   #3
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390148
Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,766 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORZ42 View Post
It will be in the key of A minor, that's for sure.
Or not, for sure.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 08:40 PM   #4
MORZ42
Analog Lurker
MORZ42 has a spectacular aura aboutMORZ42 has a spectacular aura about
Portland, Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
Or not, for sure.
Both G and D are in A minor, that's for sure.

------------------
MORZ42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 08:56 PM   #5
Mindsweeper
★VIP MEGA EURO STAR★
Mindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MC
BUTTFUCKSVILLE
MC Status: 262786029
Thanked 2,927 Times in 1,770 Posts

Both G and D are also in G minor though
Mindsweeper is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 09:32 PM   #6
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390148
Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,766 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindsweeper View Post
Both G and D are also in G minor though
Indeed, and in G major aswell, etc.

Ok. Nevermind. OP: just check so that the snares are somewhat in phase. You can finetune each snare. Notch. You can just EQ dip one snare's dominant resonance and boost the other snare's dominant resonance. Etc, etc. Boost 200Hz alot, pretty narrow, until it breaks your limiter (or don't do that).
If it sounds good it sounds good.

Last edited by Evelon; 29-05-2014 at 09:39 PM..

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2014, 02:57 AM   #7
TheWizar
Savage Mad Cunt
TheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MC
Vermont
MC Status: 4837848

Tbh, I think I end up not so much tuning my kicks as I end up detuning them. If you have your kick tuned to a note not in scale, it's far less likely to get phase cancelled, and it still sounds good. Unless it's one of those long ass trap kicks. Then you have to be careful with notes.

------------------
My latest work:
TheWizar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2014, 04:23 PM   #8
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6906609
Thanked 3,548 Times in 2,148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORZ42 View Post
Both G and D are in A minor, that's for sure.
And Bb, C, D (that's Am), F and G.

Three notes does not a key make. Functionally, it might help to choose one if you wished to include more notes...
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:14 PM   #9
Wapiti Wisdom
Regular Freak
Wapiti Wisdom has a spectacular aura aboutWapiti Wisdom has a spectacular aura about

for tuning to drums the best way to learn is a spectrum analyzer. Your kick drum should always be tuned to your root note(ie first bass note played)snares can sometimes sound cool a fifth above your kick, sometimes keeping them tuned to the same note as well. HHs same way, it's where creativity comes in!

don't focus on what key your snare is in, focus on if your snare works with everything else. If it's out of key it won't work. trust your ears, you'd be surprised on the creative tunings you can get!

Wapiti Wisdom
Wapiti Wisdom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Wapiti Wisdom
iStarfox (09-06-2014)
Old 13-06-2014, 03:33 AM   #10
EDM Academy
Minor Glitch
EDM Academy has a spectacular aura aboutEDM Academy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by iStarfox View Post
Hey guys,

So I am creating my own kicks, snares ect and I have a question when it comes to creating sounds in tune with each other. Ill use an example, say I have 3 samples for a snare, the low end, mid and top end.

The low end and top samples are in the key of G the mid sample is D, I would normally keep everything in tune but not always as I am creating what sounds good to my ear over anything else.

Now when I bounce these 3 samples together to create the final Snare sample seeing as the low end is in G will the Snare be in the key of G? with an overtone of D ?
The only resonant tone that really matters in terms of what "key" your snare is in is the tone in the 150-250hz range. Everything above that won't really clash with the other elements in your song. As always, trust your ears and if the snare sounds like it fits, then it does.
EDM Academy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 05:29 AM   #11
twilitez
twilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9060

The easiest thing is to simply not design basses that clash with your kick in an obvious way. Does not need any musical training to detect when this happens. There are few genres that sortof grace clashing between the two, and if you get into them it is a mixing nightmare. Im not saying it cant be done, but i avoid it.

Advertisements

------------------
twilitez is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote