U-he Presswerk (Compressor) 89USD until 12/31
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 19-12-2014, 08:49 PM   #1
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8564780
Thanked 7,477 Times in 5,279 Posts
U-he Presswerk (Compressor) 89USD until 12/31

So who is buying Presswerk from U-he? Seems like a pretty cool compressor with a lot of nice options. Introductory price at 30% off until December 31. I freakin' LOVE U-he Satin, its my go-to delay these days and I use the studio mode all over...inserts, busses, the master...just love what it does to sound : )

Advertisements

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 10:10 PM   #2
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7238279
Re: U-he Presswerk (Compressor) 89USD until 12/31

While I was not a huge fan of Satin myself, I do thoroughly endorse all the other u-He products - Presswerk most certainly included. It sounds fantastic and is amazingly versatile.

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Blingley
relic (20-12-2014)
Old 03-01-2015, 10:46 PM   #3
Fly By Night
Minor Glitch
Fly By Night is a jewel in the roughFly By Night is a jewel in the roughFly By Night is a jewel in the roughFly By Night is a jewel in the rough
New Brunswick, NJ
MC Status: 310

I'm also thinking about getting this plugin. One guy I follow on youtube just posted an in-depth review of this.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Fly By Night is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Fly By Night
relic (03-01-2015)
Old 03-01-2015, 11:21 PM   #4
relic
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly By Night View Post
I'm also thinking about getting this plugin. One guy I follow on youtube just posted an in-depth review of this.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Nice one. Watched the first half of this. Will check out the rest later. Haven't got into the studio for any mixing recently so I've not even installed it yet

------------------
Old 07-01-2015, 02:31 AM   #5
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Alright. I could happily uninstall all my other compressors. Presswerk is a beast. And not terribly CPU hungry...running like 5-6 instances and not getting any un-do lag...

Loving the saturation section and a lot of the other options. Its really versatile and some very usable starting point presets.

------------------
Old 17-01-2015, 07:13 PM   #6
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Maybe it is still the honey moon period, but I feel like I've never actually heard a VST compressor "working" on a sound like I can with Presswerk. Maybe its just the combination of tools in this VST...but I can quickly dial in some settings and know that I'm getting close.

Compression never made sense to me until I spent a bunch of time running signal through a FMR Really Nice Compressor. I thought it was just some weird muscle memory learning thing until now. Is it even possible that this combination of 1s and 0s is doing something significantly different than your run of the mill VST compressor?

------------------
Old 18-01-2015, 02:32 AM   #7
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7238279

Well, it certainly combines it with a healthy dose of saturation, quite possibly in more than just one stage. The other likely difference is the scaling of knobs. I.E: It is not necessarily a linear min-max line or an exponential min-max curve.

The DPR-functionality is something I am not sure many emulations include, and it does make a difference. The FF/FB/Int functionality is another thing, though there certainly are emulations of each kind on the market.

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Blingley
relic (18-01-2015)
Old 18-01-2015, 05:23 AM   #8
SunkLo
SunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MC
MC Status: 132350

Certainly. Urs Heckman is a bad motherfucker. I imagine he's got some very nice nonlinearities and filters in the feedback and detector circuits.

Digital plugins can have every bit the amount of character that analogue gear has, you just have to put in the effort to program it. A lot of the naive implementations of filters and compressors don't preserve the topology of the original devices they're emulating to save on complexity and computation. U-He stuff on the other hand, usually isn't cheap on cycles but it's worth it for the sonic richness.

I've been putting off buying this compressor until I actually feel physically compelled. I've had a compressor plugin in the works for a while now that would do what I assume Presswerk does. Extremely flexible and unconventional, vibe-style dynamics tool priced around a hundred dollars that kills every other compressor plugin. Bit ticked off that Urs beat me to it, but I've still got several novel ideas that I haven't seen anyone else try.
SunkLo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to SunkLo
relic (18-01-2015)
Old 18-01-2015, 05:42 AM   #9
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Thanks for the thoughts. Good to know Im not crazy in loving Presswerk so much. Appreciate the in depth answers.
@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
...when its finished...take my money eh?

------------------
Old 18-01-2015, 09:03 PM   #10
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 31910

Damn this thread. It looks like I must download. . . Another fucking compressor.
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2015, 09:05 PM   #11
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 31910

Compressors are like relationships, you'll go from one to the next until you realize there's no such thing as "the one".
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to mnkvolcno
relic (18-01-2015)
Old 21-01-2015, 06:20 AM   #12
SunkLo
SunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MC
MC Status: 132350

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Thanks for the thoughts. Good to know Im not crazy in loving Presswerk so much. Appreciate the in depth answers.
@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
...when its finished...take my money eh?
Nah I wouldn't charge you man, you'd be one of the first ones to try it.

Advertisements

SunkLo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to SunkLo
relic (21-01-2015)