what is the point of this?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 17-08-2014, 06:18 AM   #1
calypsoB
Eternal Echoer
calypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improve
MC Status: -12411435
what is the point of this?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
So I have seen this and another one like it with a built in cd burner. What do these things do? If I am using ableton, do I run it through this and store it in some strange file format instead of clicking bounce to save my mix? Also do I need any special equipment in addition to a unit like this? Just been trying to seek out some higher quality sound alternatives lately.

A while back my friend had a pretty nice tascam digital recorder and it's sound quality blew away any audio interface I had ever used through a DAW, so I was kind of hoping to achieve the same results with something like the DA3000, but it is kind of confusing. Please help.

Advertisements

calypsoB is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2014, 10:21 AM   #2
Nyul
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC
MC Status: 25010
Re: what is the point of this?

I haven't come across this before, but it seems to be a 'master recorder'. This thing can record your master in very high quality.
This can be useful if you're for example making the final mix on a mixing desk and want to record the output for mastering. Or if you want to record the main out of a live set.
It can only record 2 tracks simultaneous (1 stereo track) though so its usage is quite limited.

This is not what you're looking for. While this can record a track in very high quality the overall quality will depend on all the other devices in the chain: the source of the tracks (your audio interface) and the mixer that creates the master track.
Also if you are working in Ableton Live, directly bouncing the whole mix inside Live will sound better: there is no unnecessary DA and AD-conversion and you can bounce to 32-bit, 192 kHz if you really want.

If you want high audio quality invest in a better audio interface: this will improve the quality of everything you record and everything you playback.

------------------
Nyul is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2014, 10:57 AM   #3
Grain Bastard
IDMf Artist
Grain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MC
MC Status: 15878

Its just for people who haven't got a computer. Its not going to help anyone who produces itb.

What interface you using currently?

------------------
Grain Bastard is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2014, 07:04 PM   #4
calypsoB
Eternal Echoer
calypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improve
MC Status: -12411435

Ahh thanks guys, I have a T.C. Konnekt Live, a good interface with nice converters, not apogee or Mytek converters, but much better than edirols, digis, and motus imho. I had been hoping that the Tascam was providing a higher quality conversion to 44,100 16bit than a bounce to stereo with ableton. Like I said, my friends tascam digital recorder sounde3d amazing at cd quality in comparison to ableton, I dont know alot about tascam so I wasnt sure if they just had some legendarily amazing converters in their mastering units. As Grain bastard suggests, it is probably for those who do not use computers. I will probably end up getting a used uad apollo and selling my current setup to bump up the sound qualities a bit more on bounce down.
calypsoB is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2014, 09:31 PM   #5
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1541827
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,323 Posts

Or those who use a DAW but bus their mixes out to analog desks for summing/sweetening.

although the same can be achieved by having the console return to channels of the DAW.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2014, 11:41 PM   #6
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 176310
Thanked 3,526 Times in 2,102 Posts

If iwas given one I'd use it all the time.
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 10:55 PM   #7
edium
Sample Destroyer
edium is a splendid one to beholdedium is a splendid one to beholdedium is a splendid one to beholdedium is a splendid one to beholdedium is a splendid one to beholdedium is a splendid one to beholdedium is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyul View Post
This is not what you're looking for. While this can record a track in very high quality the overall quality will depend on all the other devices in the chain: the source of the tracks (your audio interface) and the mixer that creates the master track.
Also if you are working in Ableton Live, directly bouncing the whole mix inside Live will sound better: there is no unnecessary DA and AD-conversion and you can bounce to 32-bit, 192 kHz if you really want.

Are you talking about exporting the master or.. resampling?

------------------
please subscribe if you like my music. cheers!
edium is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 11:11 PM   #8
Nyul
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC
MC Status: 25010

Quote:
Originally Posted by edium View Post
Are you talking about exporting the master or.. resampling?
Yeah, I meant exporting, guess I used the wrong word there.

------------------
Nyul is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Nyul
edium (21-08-2014)
Old 21-08-2014, 12:32 PM   #9
aikighost
Lemon Eater
aikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MC
Reading
MC Status: 12852260

It looks to be aimed at the high end live venue recording market not the home producer market.

Advertisements

------------------
The ultimate Law: All general statements are false.
aikighost is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote