[Live 9] Multiple Waveforms & DJing
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:17 AM   #1
Opium
Microknight
Opium has much to be proud ofOpium has much to be proud ofOpium has much to be proud ofOpium has much to be proud ofOpium has much to be proud ofOpium has much to be proud ofOpium has much to be proud ofOpium has much to be proud ofOpium has much to be proud of
Strasbourg, France
MC Status: 1210
[Live 9] Multiple Waveforms & DJing

Hi guys, what's up ?

I'm coming to you because I have a pretty awful problem I would like to fix. I've been playing DJ on Ableton for more than a year, and sincerely : I love it.

Why I play on Ableton

To make a mashup of techno songs using 3 tracks + the possibility to play cut up vocals or synth live at the same time when you play techno really add a touch of "humanity" to this "machine soul" type of music and I really love it. My setup looks like that :

I use the Zero SL & Launchcontrol to control the volume/FX/Filters/EQ on the tracks.
I use the Launchpad to launch tracks, play samples, cut up vocals or VSTs AND select my FX racks (some are already assigned to some knobs, some others just auto assign "on the fly" to the first line of knobs on the Zero SL).

So basicly, what's my problem ?

As a DJ, it's very useful to see the waveforms, just the way you can do it on Traktor or Serato. The main problem when I play DJ with Ableton is that the view of the waveform is absolutly not designed for DJing purposes. It's been ok until today, but as I always try to improve my DJ Sets, I'd like to know if there is a plugin or a way to obtain a similar waveform to the one you get in Traktor.

Plus, everytime I push the button on my Launchpad to enable or control a FX, the daw shows the FX rack, and I don't see my waveform anymore, it's the same if I launch a sample, I don't see the waveform of the main track that is playing. Is there a way to fix that ? I'm ok with counting "1 - 2 - 3 - 4" while playing, but when you come to manipulate a loooot of parameters and launching a lot of tracks, it can turn really complex, so : is there a way to have multiple waveform ? Like my 4 decks waveforms at the same time ?

If you have any idea just let me know, I've been searching a lot on the internet and on the forum, but couldn't find a way to fix that.

Thanks mates !

PS : Forgive me for my English, it can be a bit hard for me when it comes to explain a tricky situation.

Advertisements

------------------
Opium is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:21 AM   #2
motox2121
Sample Destroyer
motox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MC
MC Status: 1118834
Re: [Live 9] Multiple Waveforms & DJing

I don't know if they have one specifically made for that but you could use a vst compressor plugin that has a visual display and you could put one on each deck and leave the display open, leave the threshold at 0 so it doesnt actually compress just lets you watch the waveform visually. I have Fabfilter Pro Compressor and it has a visual output. Using a 3rd party plugin lets you watch multiple tracks at once if u turn off exclusive plugin windows or w/e in your settings.

I don't dj with ableton but thought this might work. Let me know if it does i havent tried

------------------
motox2121 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:04 AM   #3
Opium
Microknight
Opium has much to be proud ofOpium has much to be proud ofOpium has much to be proud ofOpium has much to be proud ofOpium has much to be proud ofOpium has much to be proud ofOpium has much to be proud ofOpium has much to be proud ofOpium has much to be proud of
Strasbourg, France
MC Status: 1210

Well, the fact is that it's not and EQ or Compressor Waveform that I need, but the type of one you get in Traktor or Serato or Audacity : [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

This way you can have a good preview of how many bars (not sure about the word) are to play before et break/drop/bridge for exemple.
You already have one on Ableton but you have to use the mouse/pad to zoom on it and it's not really practical, and you still have the problem that if you select a plugin to configure with the launchpad, it will hide the wave and give you a view of the plugin section. Pretty shitty when you are playing DJ (even though I've been doing this for a year, I'd be glad to improve it).

Anyway, thank you for the answer Really appreciate it even though it's not exactly what I was thinking about.

------------------
Opium is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 06:40 AM   #4
MarcFreccero
Minor Glitch
MarcFreccero will become famous soon enoughMarcFreccero will become famous soon enough
Boston, MA
MC Status: 110

Ahhh I get what you're asking - I think the hard part is that the type of information you want is dependent on see "ahead" in the future (aka ahead in the track). I'm not sure if that's possible when you're using ableton and other cause improvising with ableton is more difficult than traktor imo
MarcFreccero is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 05:38 PM   #5
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

If you can get it to bring up the last plugin's view easily while DJing, Smexoscope might be your answer.

Advertisements

Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote