Looking for advices (Finishing an EP)
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Industrial / EBM / Power Electronics Discussion of music similar to Nine Inch Nails, Skinny Puppy, Throbbing Gristle.

Old 30-12-2017, 06:30 AM   #1
methekingofhell
IDMf's latest spammer
methekingofhell will become famous soon enough
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
MC Status: 60
Looking for advices (Finishing an EP)

Short introduction:
Hello! I'm not really new to the noise/power electronics scene, but I do am new to releasing my stuff. The thing is that I'll be (or I'll try) releasing an noise/power electronics EP (which will be my very first "big" release ever) by the beginning of 2018 and I need some enlightenment about a few things. So, I'm here to ask for some help, tips and any kind of opinion, everything is welcome and appreciated!

Right to the point:
1) I'll be releasing my EP through bandcamp, is that a good idea? And is there any other sites where I could release it too? (I'm on SoundCloud, but I stick to it for releasing random stuff I compose)
2) Should I contact a netlabel? There a few netlabels I saw that fit my style, but is it really worth it to contact them?
3) In fact, I know this is kind of a complicated thing to answer, but is an EP of 4 songs a good idea to start with? Sometimes I think to make it a 2 songs single, but I'm not quite sure what to do there.

So that's it, I guess. By the way, if this ain't the right place to put this, then I apologize. And thanks for reading!

Advertisements

methekingofhell is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 08:39 PM   #2
mholloway
Master of the LFO
mholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MC
Portland, Oregon, USA
MC Status: 1436359
Re: Looking for advices (Finishing an EP)

The truth is (I hate that expression, but in this case I think it's the most accurate way to start) there is no formula for how to do this right, and therefore no right/wrong answer to each of your three questions, other than to say: Bandcamp is *always* a good idea. Labels? Might work to get in touch, might not. Better question is, what are you hoping a label will do for you? Your EP, 4 songs? Sure, why not. Nobody is going to look at your bandcamp page and say "I would have listened to this if it was 6 songs, but it's only 4, so no way."

The most important way to get going is 1. make great music 2. get it out there, everywhere you can. Those are the only two considerations that matter. Whether a label is good / bad for you will depend on the specifics of what they can offer you (and what you can offer them). You might not need / want one at all.

My music, fwiw, was discovered by my label through Soundcloud. I hate soundcloud, and yet, that's how it worked out for me. Take from that what you will! (It should be noted, though, that this was 9 years ago, and the SC environment isn't today what it was then).

Find every forum and reddit sub that is related to the style of music you make, and post links there. Hopefully links to Youtube and Bandcamp, but SC could work as well, as noted.

best of luck!

------------------
mholloway is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 08:46 PM   #3
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8564480
Thanked 7,471 Times in 5,276 Posts

1. Probably invest in Distrokid if you can afford it. Don't give your music away. Even if you only charge $1.

2. I'd only contact a netlabel if you think the label is actually going to provide you with something you cannot do or cannot afford to do on your own. If the label is only a bandcamp and an averagely facebook page, why bother?

3. Be brutally honest with yourself about how good *any* of the music is. There is so much "OK" music to trudge through on the internet its really hard to get heard. So I don't think it is worth putting in hours on marketing unless you are reasonably sure you've got something people will really want to listen to.

4. No one making a living doing music does it all from their bedrooms. You need to become physically present in your music's scene/culture offline and make real connections with real people.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
jVs (15-01-2018)
Old 30-12-2017, 09:57 PM   #4
methekingofhell
IDMf's latest spammer
methekingofhell will become famous soon enough
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
MC Status: 60

Hey there! I was kind of thinking that I posted in the wrong section, hahaha, thankfully not.

mholloway:
Glad to know Bandcamp was a good idea, so far, most people I know personally or through the internet, always release their stuff through there.

About SoundCloud, I get you, SC has changed a lot and in my personal opinion, it wasn't for good. That's why I stick to it only to upload random experiments I make that I believe that are quite decent.

Finally, about a label, I'll be honest I don't even know what would a label do or help me with apart from featuring my EP on their website. I just see that thing as a little help with promotion, but nothing else. And yeah, about forums and stuff, I've come to find a few subredits and forums (though some of them seem to be really dead) where I could just promote my release. And thanks so much for replying and wishing me luck!

relic:
1. Hey! I remember you from when I joined in! Glad to see again.
Yes, I saw a few things about Distrokid, cannot afford it now, but maybe I will for the end of February next year, just about time for my release.

2. Just I said earlier, apart from a bit of promotion, and I don't even know in what else a label could help me with.

3. That's the main reason of it all, you know? Noise and power electronics is cool and I love it, but most people don't get it or just simply hate it. Funny thing is, the EP (if it continues being 4 songs long) progressively gets more "noisy", it basically starts with an actual really calm and beautiful melody and ends up with a really harsh noise song. It's more like a conceptual EP made with love and emotion rather than just a "this is the music I make and I wanna be famous" EP. With that in mind, I don't even know if it is even worth it to sell it, I was more into giving it away for free (with the option to pay anything you want).

4. Honestly, this is subject to another thread. In my case, I feel like my music is not even ready to be played live and even I don't feel quite ready to play live. But as I said, this is more of a thing to talk about in another moment.

Anyways, thanks relic!!

Advertisements

methekingofhell is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to methekingofhell
relic (30-12-2017)