results of study conducted on this forum
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 14-07-2013, 03:49 PM   #1
annikaa
Regular Freak
annikaa will become famous soon enoughannikaa will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110
results of study conducted on this forum

A couple of month ago I asked for help with my research and I'm getting back with results of my study. Well, actually I am building a system for automatic music emotion recognition so my results are more spectrograms and boring things, so I will talk about the psychological side only.

Who doesn't rememeber, the study was this one: emotify. org

Firstly, you probably won't be surprised to know that electronic music is much more popular among men (53% of men against 28% of women reported they listen to it).
Secondly, for different musical genres the same emotion is expressed differently.

Listeners of classical music feel "amazement, wonder" when they hear quick, joyful music, while listeners of electronic music feel amazed when they hear dark, awe and fear inspiring music.
For listeners of classical music nostalgia is a sorrowful and tragic feeling, and for listeners of rock term "nostalgic" applies more to quite, slow and calm pieces.

A picture! What is an emotional content of the genre you listen to:

Advertisements

annikaa is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 04:24 PM   #2
doo.
Radial Developer
doo. is a splendid one to beholddoo. is a splendid one to beholddoo. is a splendid one to beholddoo. is a splendid one to beholddoo. is a splendid one to beholddoo. is a splendid one to beholddoo. is a splendid one to behold
Nastyvilla
MC Status: 860
Re: results of study conducted on this forum

I do remember taking a survey on this a while back. These are some interesting results.
Since i listen to more ambient based electronic music i get amazed when i hear a combination of both classical elements and electronic elements.

------------------
New EP, thanks for Listening

doo. is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 06:04 PM   #3
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 36100
Thanked 4,155 Times in 2,711 Posts

I'm more interested in the programming behind it for sure. I don't think that spectral imaging and programming is something considered "boring" on this website by any means, so feel free to elaborate. :3

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 07:19 PM   #4
Sky Swallower
Knob Twiddler
Sky Swallower has a reputation beyond reputeSky Swallower has a reputation beyond reputeSky Swallower has a reputation beyond reputeSky Swallower has a reputation beyond reputeSky Swallower has a reputation beyond reputeSky Swallower has a reputation beyond reputeSky Swallower has a reputation beyond reputeSky Swallower has a reputation beyond reputeSky Swallower has a reputation beyond reputeSky Swallower has a reputation beyond reputeSky Swallower has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 3910

I remember taking that survey. I kind of thought your multiple-choices were a little limited, but I respect that you were doing so for research purposes. The range of genres were kind of closed off, as well if I remember correctly... I remember a lot of singer-songwriter stuff and electronic but not a whole lot else.

I agree with Broton, some of us don't get bored at all by the technical stuff.
Sky Swallower is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 12:46 AM   #5
Cypherclerk
Generate & Test
Cypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MC
Rectilinear Filigree
MC Status: 53740955
Thanked 2,387 Times in 1,627 Posts

Any chance of posting up the actual dissertation/report/essay or whatever the results were used for?

------------------
Cypherclerk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 08:40 PM   #6
DCA
Sample Destroyer
DCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2110

would def like to see the study results that stuff is fascinating

i remember one on brain response to different chord progressions through major/minor keys it was really cool

Advertisements

DCA is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote