Suggestions for a set of Open-Back headphones?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 10-12-2014, 02:06 AM   #1
iliveinmyguitar
Soundwave Mangler
iliveinmyguitar is a glorious beacon of lightiliveinmyguitar is a glorious beacon of lightiliveinmyguitar is a glorious beacon of lightiliveinmyguitar is a glorious beacon of lightiliveinmyguitar is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 460
Suggestions for a set of Open-Back headphones?

Im currently using ATH-M50 and I find that, since they are closed-back, it gets really muddy with most mixes that contain a lot of bottom end. I don't know where to start but I figured id start by asking if anyone here is satisfied with a set of headphones that are openback and if they would recommend them.

Thanks!

Advertisements

iliveinmyguitar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 03:01 AM   #2
TheWizar
Savage Mad Cunt
TheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MC
Vermont
MC Status: 4837848
Re: Suggestions for a set of Open-Back headphones?

It probably means that your mix is muddy.

------------------
My latest work:
TheWizar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to TheWizar
KrisM (10-12-2014)
Old 10-12-2014, 08:17 PM   #3
KrisM
Ghostly
KrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond repute
TX
MC Status: 7964

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWizar View Post
It probably means that your mix is muddy.
That. My ATH-M50s sound anything but muddy and I have two sets of them.

------------------
Meh.
KrisM is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:51 PM   #4
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts

For mixing the m50's are shit in my opinion.

I sold mine after two years of use and upgraded to a pair of beyerdynamic DT 880's. Its a night and day experience. I'mnot dsaying the 880's are as flat as a pair of good monitors but, god damn, I think audio technica has most of the internet mass fooled. I wouldn'tsay the 50's are muddy but they are colored in both the low and high end.

I bought two pair of headphones last month actually with the intention of keeping only one pair. The AKG K 702's and, again, the 880's. After a few days of a/b I decided to stick with beyerdynamic and sell the AKG's.

They sound quite different than the 50's, because everything consumer headphones do to make the music sound good is drastically reduced, while retaining detail and clarity.

Edit: the 880's I have are the 250 ohm.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 12:17 AM   #5
iliveinmyguitar
Soundwave Mangler
iliveinmyguitar is a glorious beacon of lightiliveinmyguitar is a glorious beacon of lightiliveinmyguitar is a glorious beacon of lightiliveinmyguitar is a glorious beacon of lightiliveinmyguitar is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 460

Thanks dude I will consider that model as one of my possible christmas gifts to myself. And i am sure that its not that my mix is muddy because i make a thorough effort to avoid frequency clashing especially in the bottom end. I've listened to professional songs through my headphones and it sounds the same way. Maybe muddy is not the right word to use here. Its just after using the set for several hours my ears get really tired and even sweaty lol. Id like to get something through which I can get some air flow and at the same time an accurate response.
iliveinmyguitar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 03:44 AM   #6
TheWizar
Savage Mad Cunt
TheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MC
Vermont
MC Status: 4837848

Don't think open sets have such airflow, they are still pretty much the same in that regard. I personally have a pair of sennheiser 595, and while they are comfortable, I couldn't reccomend them for music much. They don't have much in the way of bass. They are helpful for a reference though, I think open sets have a really nice transient response (not frequency response!)

------------------
My latest work:
TheWizar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 05:45 AM   #7
SunkLo
SunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MCSunkLo is a savage MC
MC Status: 132300

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWizar View Post
Don't think open sets have such airflow, they are still pretty much the same in that regard. I personally have a pair of sennheiser 595, and while they are comfortable, I couldn't reccomend them for music much. They don't have much in the way of bass. They are helpful for a reference though, I think open sets have a really nice transient response (not frequency response!)
I have a pair of 595 as well, they're on loan to my buddy while I solder his Beyers. The 580s are much better in the low end. They've got that nice openness that I loved when I first got the 595s but a more linear frequency response. If you can find a nice used pair and swap the grills for the mesh ones, they're a pretty cheap way to step into the Senn studio flagship trilogy. I actually got my 595s for quite cheap as well. 35 bucks or something on ebay, no other bids. Shipping included too, I felt bad sending the payment to the guy. Maybe the trend will continue and I'll buy a pair of LCD3s for 500 bucks?

Oh ps, frequency response and transient response are essentially the same data interpreted different ways. That's why an IR works as an EQ in a convolution reverb.
SunkLo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 10:35 AM   #8
Spiritos
Ghostly
Spiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond repute
Amsterdam
MC Status: 7010

I 2nd Beyerdynamics. I have the DT 990. Really nice sound (though some emphasis on the highs) and comfy.

For your 'problem' you might consider the Focusrite VRM Box ([Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
). I got mine used for 50 euros.

Or you could try some plugins like 112db or the sort for referencing.

Advertisements

------------------
Win8.1 64x/Sonar X3/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC 222/Washburn D12/Behringer BCF2000 & BCF2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT2020/2xB5/Sennheiser E 825s/Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502
Spiritos is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote