Is my monitor busted?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 20-10-2014, 09:06 PM   #1
lebeux
IDMf Artist
lebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MC
Madrid
MC Status: 59128426
Is my monitor busted?

So, my left monitor is emitting constant RF noise. It does it without being connected to anything, it does it when plugged into every plug in the house, it does it when every other electric appliance in the house is unplugged, it does it when plugged in using my other non-noisy monitor's cord.
The noise is constant and does not change when I turn the volume knob. It comes out of the tweeter. It's typical radio-like crackling broadband white noise, loud enough to be heard over music playing through the speaker at a reasonable volume.

Is my tweeter busted? Did I overlook some kind of possible interference?

Last edited by lebeux; 21-10-2014 at 08:33 AM..

Advertisements

lebeux is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 09:18 PM   #2
Trebesch
Trebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MCTrebesch is a savage MC
Isle of Skye
MC Status: 8598981
Re: Is my monitor busted?

Turn your house into a giant Faraday cage.
Trebesch is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 10:07 PM   #3
ab
IDMf Artist
ab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MC
Duesseldorf
MC Status: 46080164
Thanked 1,230 Times in 830 Posts

sounds like it. maybe put a ground lift inbetween the signal chain somewhere ... or even try a hf filter on the 230V power line. if that fails then yes. sucks bro

------------------
ab is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 12:54 AM   #4
lebeux
IDMf Artist
lebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MC
Madrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebesch View Post
Turn your house into a giant Faraday cage.
"giant" is quite the overstatement
Old 21-10-2014, 08:23 AM   #5
RUncELL
Soundscaper
RUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond reputeRUncELL has a reputation beyond repute
Essex
MC Status: 3410

Try'd a different power lead.. it must be something in the monitor. You could try swapping the tweeters round maybe.

Last edited by RUncELL; 21-10-2014 at 10:27 AM..
RUncELL is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 10:10 AM   #6
mister_crow
Soundwave Mangler
mister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond repute
A tree in Verulamium
MC Status: 2210

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebeux View Post
So, my left monitor is emitting constant RF noise. It does it without being connected to anything, it does it when plugged into every plug in the house, it does it when every other electric appliance in the house is unplugged, it does it when plugged in using my other non-noisy monitor's cord.
The noise is constant and does not change when I turn the volume knob. It comes out of the tweeter. It's typical radio-like crackling broadband white noise, loud enough to be heard over music playing through the speaker at a reasonable volume.

Is my tweeter busted? Did I overlook some kind of possible interference?
As the noise is constant and unaffected by playing music, it's not a busted tweeter - you would expect a busted tweeter to add non-linear distortion.

Are the monitor's active? Either way - you say the noise doesn't change as you alter the volume, so if they are active monitors, the noise is entering the signal chain after the amplification. This does not rule out poor isolation of the amp's power supply from its output.

The next thing to try is physical perturbations (i.e. shake the fucker) - if this changes the nature of the noise, then a soldered connection has probably come loose. Whilst this would be trivial to fix, this probably isn't the case as the noise would usually be intermittent.

Taking all that into account, it is probably a less than perfect ground connection (possibly even a complete lift or component failure) in a filter network in the crossover or output side of the amp - but it all does depend on the crossover and gain structure your monitors use (I'm assuming you have an internal or external gain stage before the crossover, which goes directly to the drivers. If your monitors have gain stages after the crossover then the problem could be there.)

If you're comfortable checking components with a multimeter, soldering on PCBs (including flat components - unlikely, but possible), and voiding your warranty if the problem turns out to be more subtle, you should be able to fix it yourself.

------------------
Learn! About the lizard men controlling our lives! Hear! Some music I made! See! A waveform steadily becoming a slightly different grey! Coming to a forum post near you soon.
https://soundcloud.com/mister_crow/entities-wip
http://mistercrow.bandcamp.com/album/to-ep
mister_crow is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 10:51 AM   #7
lebeux
IDMf Artist
Madrid

Warranty is expired. And yeah they're active (Rokit rp6 g2).

I'm not afraid of doing a basic solder job but I don't have the tools so... repairs should be inexpensive anyway if it's as you say. Thanks a lot for that.
Old 21-10-2014, 11:40 AM   #8
mister_crow
Soundwave Mangler
mister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond repute
A tree in Verulamium
MC Status: 2210

As far as I know, all of the Rokit designs are bi-amped after the crossover - as the noise doesn't change as you adjust the volume, this means it can't be getting in at the crossover.

This leaves your tweeter amp - as the noise is linear, the amp itself is most likely fine, and there probably aren't issues with the basic characteristics (volts, amps etc) of the power supply (most over or under-powered op-amps start to show non-linear characteristics.)

Depending on the architecture, this leaves two points of failure. The first is the power supply itself - it could have noise not accounted for in the amplifier network. The second is the amplifier network - a filter designed to isolate the power supply from the output may have failed.

The solution to the second is what I was talking about in my first post, it's just a case of finding what's come loose or failed on the main PCB and re-soldering or replacing it.

If the power supply is filtered before it enters the amp, these filters would be worth checking. But the first thing to check will be the power supply itself - if these are like my friend's Rokits, you can remove the 3 pin connection without having to disassemble the cab, and it could be a loose connection there. That would be really nice easy soldering to fix, so I hope that's your issue!

Edit: turns out I quite miss being an engineer.

------------------
Learn! About the lizard men controlling our lives! Hear! Some music I made! See! A waveform steadily becoming a slightly different grey! Coming to a forum post near you soon.
https://soundcloud.com/mister_crow/entities-wip
http://mistercrow.bandcamp.com/album/to-ep
mister_crow is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2014, 11:56 AM   #9
TheWizar
Savage Mad Cunt
TheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MC
Vermont
MC Status: 4837848

Crows diagnosis seems pretty accurate to me. Either way, grabbing a soldering iron and some solder and tearing that fucker apart can't hurt anything at this point. Plus, now you'll have a soldering iron and solder.

Oh, and get goggles. Don't want none of that shit in your eye.

Advertisements

------------------
My latest work:
TheWizar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote