Going Live With Hardware (Sorry in advance) - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 27-06-2014, 04:54 PM   #21
D_Davis
D_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MC
Seattle
MC Status: 11124485
Thanked 1,136 Times in 828 Posts
Re: Going Live With Hardware (Sorry in advance)

Look into the Pigtronix pedal.

It's pretty amazing.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Advertisements

------------------
D_Davis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:31 AM   #22
KrisM
Ghostly
KrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond repute
TX
MC Status: 7964

It would take me 3+ pieces of gear to replace an Octatrack. Sequencer, FX, and sampler at a minimum. Sample chains make it more like 4 (drum machine).

Hell, I could do all my music on an Octatrack if I really wanted to, because sampler. And because sample chains. And with a little prep work, because Static Machines.

There are times I want to just be Octatrack + Blofeld, and then I look to my Monomachine and go "dawwwww, I luv you too, little silver box of happiness." and then my OP-1 gets butthurt, and...

------------------
Meh.
KrisM is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to KrisM
Automageddon (02-07-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 10:12 AM   #23
JMagee
Ghostly
JMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MC
Kentucky
MC Status: 14710

I'll get an Octatrack one day. Ya'll are just making me a little sad talking about things I know I can't afford.

But the Blofeld, that little dude ain't too far off. In the future I'm thinking the Waldorf modules could be the saving grace in a small, portable set up. Especially the Blofeld being digital as hell could be a great sequenced pad/chord module that's tweakable and plays your 16 bar progression without eating up your sample space.

Btw everyone, after doing a ton of MPC research I'm totally snagging one of these machines. If you go with the JJOS route you get multi-timbre sampling, more midi control... it's just all around more awesome. It's really kind of mind numbing the full feature set that you get out of such a small unit with JJOS.

------------------
JMagee is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:22 AM   #24
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269462958
Thanked 2,787 Times in 1,851 Posts

I was ignoring it until I read this, you might want to have a look at it...

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:58 PM   #25
JMagee
Ghostly
JMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MC
Kentucky

I had noticed the trigger finger pro previews back around Winter NAMM or whatever and it was pretty hype looking. But this article gets to the crux of the matter - an actual standalone midi step sequencer. The beatstep looked hype but that's all it is - a bunch of hype. If you have some analog/CV gear yeah, you might get something out of it if you're already tethered to the computer.

This is true hype.

------------------
Old 03-07-2014, 05:46 AM   #26
steeboo
IDMf Artist
steeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MC
montfoort
MC Status: 75628239

Maybe for live use you'd be better off with a second hand nord rack 2. You can play 4 different parts on it at the same time and have all the knobs in front of you for live tweaking. Blofeld has more of everything though, but the knobs are not suitable for live noodling.

------------------
steeboo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:45 PM   #27
D_Davis
D_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MC
Seattle

Yeah, the Nord is a great live instrument because of it's multi-timbrel output. A Nord Lead rack and a Monomachine would make a really killer, small, live set up. Of course, that's also like $2k in gear.

------------------
Old 03-07-2014, 03:27 PM   #28
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8538730
Thanked 6,956 Times in 4,948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
Works w/o a computer...step sequencer you say...control my entire setup w/o a computer...WANT

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:46 PM   #29
D_Davis
Seattle

You can do the same thing with an Alesis MMT-8 for about $300 less!

------------------
Old 03-07-2014, 03:49 PM   #30
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963583
Thanked 4,083 Times in 2,708 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
I have the original version (has been discontinued), and hopefully they have made adjustments to the drum pads which don't have that great of a response time. You have to hit pretty hard or with a pushing motion. I've also had the opportunity to use Machine and there really is no comparison, Machine kicks this up and around the corner. I'm just talking about the drum pads alone.

For 400 dollars I would say no way.
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:52 PM   #31
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.

This one apparently works as a standalone sequencer too, which is quite the cool extra

------------------
Old 08-07-2014, 12:21 PM   #32
JMagee
Ghostly
Kentucky

Still on the MPC hunt, I'm far too cheap.

Did buy a Yamaha TX81Z though. Ghetto bass, that's what's up.

Still think the MPC1000/2500 is still my most viable, price effective option. Now I'm just torn between the 1000 or the 2500 - super portable vs. king of the castle. I've been reading about JJOS and holy shit, it puts one of these boxes on par with say Roland's MV8800 - if not blowing it out the water.

------------------
Old 14-07-2014, 04:10 AM   #33
JMagee
Ghostly
Kentucky

I totally order an MPC 1000 the other.

I'm so hype. Now I have to pay the remainder on this guy and then save up for JJOS... Ready to write some music for this guy.

HYPESPLOSION!

------------------
Thanks to JMagee
Automageddon (15-07-2014)
Old 14-07-2014, 09:37 AM   #34
aikighost
Lemon Eater
aikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MC
Reading
MC Status: 12851960

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMagee View Post
I totally order an MPC 1000 the other.

I'm so hype. Now I have to pay the remainder on this guy and then save up for JJOS... Ready to write some music for this guy.

HYPESPLOSION!

Cool, my advice is after you get JJOS, also get some fat sensitive pads. I have the red ones on my mpc1000 and they rule.

------------------
The ultimate Law: All general statements are false

My Techno Music News & Techno Mixes Blog

Submit mixes to TechnoMusicNews.com
aikighost is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to aikighost
JMagee (14-07-2014)
Old 15-07-2014, 08:35 AM   #35
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Less kids, more synths.

This thread had "Aikibait" written all over it...

------------------
Thanks to Automageddon
aikighost (17-07-2014)
Old 24-07-2014, 02:42 PM   #36
JMagee
Ghostly
Kentucky

Well my MPC1000 has landed and I must say I'm really happy with it. It's secondhand, has the old style pads which 3 are going way out, the right cursor is pretty worn out, and I still haven't seen/noticed/been able to use the numeric key so I don't really know if it works either.

But whatever. I got it pretty cheap and fixing MPCs seems like a pretty common thing; parts are readily available. But I'm loving how rock solid the midi is on this thing; my computer interface is the one dropping notes. Considering I've used the MV8800 by Roland a lot the sync feature of the MPC is awesome; the MV really didn't like being a MIDI slave and would lock up.

I'm still running the Akai OS but right now it's meeting my needs and I'm making my program files in a chromatic template so my projects will transfer to JJOS.

The dankest part is that on my mixer where the MPC is plugged the gain is at a 2 where my interface is at a 5 to get the same levels on the samples. I've noticed manufacturers being pretty cheap with their outputs on interfaces, my saffire 40 does some funny stuff compared to my other gear. Knowing I've got a rock-solid, bullet-proof output is super nice. Overall I'm stupid hype.

Advertisements

------------------