USB Turntable, why?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 18-06-2014, 01:35 AM   #1
1=1?
Knob Twiddler
1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of
The Bay
MC Status: 1010
USB Turntable, why?

I'm getting a turntable, essentially only to scratch. I am going to use TC vinyl and decided on the Numark TTX. It comes in two flavors USB and without USB. What is the point of having the USB? Can't I just use the line level out to output to my computer? I think I can save some money by getting the non-USB version, and I can't figure out via the internet why it would be better other than "easier vinyl to digital conversion" but I don't even get why it would be easier, why wouldn't the line level be the same?

I am very newb at this, i resisted ever getting turntables, but now I really want to play with scratching my own sounds. Please advise. Thanks!

Advertisements

1=1? is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2014, 01:36 AM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8538630
Thanked 6,954 Times in 4,948 Posts
Re: USB Turntable, why?

You have to get a phono preamp...you can't just send the turntable signal straight into you interface and you can't use mic preamps. EDIT: so you are going to use time coded vinyl to control sounds inside your computer with Serato or something? I think you'll need to buy the Serato box too...honestly not sure what you need then...

but if you were scratching vinyl records on a regular turntable you need a phono pre amp. Also, if you want to scratch you need a direct drive turntable, not belt drive : )

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2014, 01:40 AM   #3
1=1?
Knob Twiddler
1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of
The Bay

Even though the TTX has a line level output?

Thanks to 1=1?
relic (18-06-2014)
Old 18-06-2014, 01:42 AM   #4
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1=1? View Post
Even though the TTX has a line level output?

Looks like not then : ) Sorry, didn't know they were making turntables like that now . I'd download the manual, but it would seem there might be a pre amp inside the TT. Dunno dude. I haven't looked into TT technology for a while lol

------------------
Old 18-06-2014, 01:43 AM   #5
1=1?
Knob Twiddler
The Bay

Cool I will be sure to check in on it. Thanks for looking out regardless
Old 18-06-2014, 01:49 AM   #6
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1=1? View Post
Cool I will be sure to check in on it. Thanks for looking out regardless
Yea...no worries. The phono pre-amp does some kind of signal conversion, that's why you can't just any old pre amp.

Those look bad ass though, man. Just looked 'em up.

------------------
Old 18-06-2014, 01:00 PM   #7
Grain Bastard
IDMf Artist
Grain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MC
MC Status: 15878

A usb TT will just send the output directly to a computer without having to use an input on your audiocard or mixer. However, you need the sound thru a mixer if you want to scratch (unless your going for no-fader baby scratches!!)

A proper 'Traktor', 'Serato' or similar interface is recommended as the connections aren't that straightforward especially if you want the option to play normal records too.

The USB option doesn't make it timecode friendly.

------------------
Grain Bastard is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Grain Bastard
1=1? (18-06-2014)
Old 18-06-2014, 01:09 PM   #8
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/\/\
MC Status: 389883256
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,084 Posts

Quote:
the TTXUSB's built-in USB connector simplifies connection to a computer for fast, professional grade vinyl-to-digital transfer. As an added benefit, vinyl-to-digital conversion takes just a few mouse clicks thanks to the bundled EZ Vinyl Converter software; a new program available exclusively to Numark that quickly converts vinyl tracks directly to iTunes.
Source. [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

If you have an audio interface then you probably won't use the USB as you'll have the player hooked up via audio cables anyway.
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to scyn
1=1? (18-06-2014)
Old 18-06-2014, 01:29 PM   #9
Grain Bastard
IDMf Artist
Grain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MC
MC Status: 15878

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Yea...no worries. The phono pre-amp does some kind of signal conversion, that's why you can't just any old pre amp.

Those look bad ass though, man. Just looked 'em up.
I'm possibly way off here but I think it is just an eq curve that is built into the phono amp to replace the cutting that the vinyl cutting engineer applies (to get more volume onto the vinyl)

------------------
Grain Bastard is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 10:13 PM   #10
RaymondLeggs
Analog Lurker
RaymondLeggs is just really niceRaymondLeggs is just really niceRaymondLeggs is just really niceRaymondLeggs is just really niceRaymondLeggs is just really nice
MC Status: 410

when I saw the words USB and turntable, I thought I was going to see the brand name ION, or VIBE, or electrobrand or some junk like that thank god it wasnt.
RaymondLeggs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 01:41 AM   #11
SiaKo
Granular Poster
SiaKo is a jewel in the roughSiaKo is a jewel in the roughSiaKo is a jewel in the roughSiaKo is a jewel in the rough
Austin, TX
MC Status: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondLeggs View Post
when I saw the words USB and turntable, I thought I was going to see the brand name ION, or VIBE, or electrobrand or some junk like that thank god it wasnt.
Whats wrong with that? I rock 2 ION tables and mix with a XYENX USB Audio Mixer

:problemofficer:

Advertisements

------------------
SiaKo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote