Arturia MiniBrute/MicroBrute
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:37 AM   #1
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8537730
Thanked 6,936 Times in 4,936 Posts
Arturia MiniBrute/MicroBrute

I'm pretty sure we don't have a thread for the Arturia MiniBrute and MicroBrute yet. My MicroBrute just arrived today and I'm very stoked after spending about an hour twisting knobs randomly : )

Advertisements

relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
RFJ (08-01-2014)
Old 08-01-2014, 01:03 AM   #2
imma3k
Soundscaper
imma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud of
narnia, chillin with mr tumnus n shit.
MC Status: 1310
Re: Arturia MiniBrute/MicroBrute

id be interested to hear what you think about it when you've invested more time and really gotten to try it out. they look really nice and ive been interested in them for a little bit now. the fact that even the full minibrute is still quite compact is good for me cus at the moment i dont have very much room to work with at all. maschine still tops my list of gear to get but the minibrutes up there too.

------------------
Latest Track:
imma3k is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to imma3k
relic (08-01-2014)
Old 08-01-2014, 01:18 AM   #3
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts

Sweet!

Glad you finally received it after all that business.

Looking forward to your full review.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to RFJ
relic (08-01-2014)
Old 08-01-2014, 01:21 AM   #4
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by imma3k View Post
id be interested to hear what you think about it when you've invested more time and really gotten to try it out. they look really nice and ive been interested in them for a little bit now. the fact that even the full minibrute is still quite compact is good for me cus at the moment i dont have very much room to work with at all. maschine still tops my list of gear to get but the minibrutes up there too.
Right on. Now that I've got my studio sorted again I'm going to be working on a track tomorrow w the microbrute in it. So far the microbrute is a beautiful thing. Its very compact as well.

Really dusty tone to it, has that old school dry analog vibe to it. Needs some fx to come alive ...with a bit of reverb or delay it gets tasty fast. I hope the envelope is snappy enough for percussion.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:38 AM   #5
imma3k
Soundscaper
imma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud of
narnia, chillin with mr tumnus n shit.
MC Status: 1310

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Right on. Now that I've got my studio sorted again I'm going to be working on a track tomorrow w the microbrute in it. So far the microbrute is a beautiful thing. Its very compact as well.

Really dusty tone to it, has that old school dry analog vibe to it. Needs some fx to come alive ...with a bit of reverb or delay it gets tasty fast. I hope the envelope is snappy enough for percussion.
i have a feeling i would get the microbrute too since im on a tight budget, but i could still get the minibrute if i just waited a little longer and saved more cus the prices are really quite low for whats on offer.
from what i can tell the sounds are quite nice, i was first introduced to it in a stimming live show in which he uses it to produce plucky sounds and what have you and it sounded good. if you wanna see him play around with it during the performance, skip to around 3:30 in this vid:

------------------
Latest Track:
imma3k is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:04 AM   #6
KrisM
Ghostly
KrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond repute
TX
MC Status: 7964

the envelope on the MicroBrute is definitely snappy enough for percussion. With the mod matrix you can make kicks, snares, hi hats, blips, etc. the Metalizer makes for crispy hats, no noise source required, though it's not the best at 'long tail' type snares or open hats. LFO can stutter up some claps, too.

------------------
Meh.
KrisM is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to KrisM
relic (08-01-2014)
Old 09-01-2014, 12:33 PM   #7
Grain Bastard
IDMf Artist
Grain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MC
MC Status: 15878

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
the envelope on the MicroBrute is definitely snappy enough for percussion. With the mod matrix you can make kicks, snares, hi hats, blips, etc. the Metalizer makes for crispy hats, no noise source required, though it's not the best at 'long tail' type snares or open hats. LFO can stutter up some claps, too.

Yes, the env is nice and snappy and the multimode filter is a big plus.

Gotta agree with Relic too about fx making the thing come alive. I mean the same is true for my Mopho, a dry analog signal isn't the most inspiring tone but its a great instrument for the cost. I just love the sounds you can get from a combo of the brute factor & resonance tweaking. It goes from basic analog sound into a tearing, speaker ripping roar but is still what I would call musical.

Sequencer is a nice touch too.

Really pleased with mine. I always wanted an SH-101 but not at the prices people think they are worth. The Micro is a perfect alternative imo.

Now, lets have the MegaBrute and the PolyBrute

------------------
Grain Bastard is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Grain Bastard
relic (09-01-2014)
Old 09-01-2014, 02:10 PM   #8
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744029641
Thanked 7,244 Times in 4,503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grain Bastard View Post

Really pleased with mine. I always wanted an SH-101 but not at the prices people think they are worth. The Micro is a perfect alternative imo.
You could just get D-16's LuSH-101 and a controller.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:49 PM   #9
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Yes, the env is nice and snappy and the multimode filter is a big plus.

Gotta agree with Relic too about fx making the thing come alive. I mean the same is true for my Mopho, a dry analog signal isn't the most inspiring tone but its a great instrument for the cost. I just love the sounds you can get from a combo of the brute factor & resonance tweaking. It goes from basic analog sound into a tearing, speaker ripping roar but is still what I would call musical.

Sequencer is a nice touch too.

Now, lets have the MegaBrute and the PolyBrute
I was actually shocked at how different the MicroBrute and the Mopho sounded when I got them in the same room. I was kind of worried about buying another analog monosynth...like shouldnt that be a waste of money? No way, two entirely different flavors (though both are good at being aggresive, be be aggresive).

The Micro is making my Mopho desktop seem a bit tedious programming wise I do have to say.

It amused me that with a few knob twists I can make all kinda old school dub/jungle lasers hehehhehe, had me wishing I could spit some sound system jibberish.

So the polyBrute I get (and I want one of this fictional synths now...that is some fucked up gear lust)...but what would the MegaBrute be? 4 osc, 4 sub osc, with FM or waveshaping (gasp, BOTH?)
Old 09-01-2014, 02:57 PM   #10
Grain Bastard
IDMf Artist
Grain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
You could just get D-16's LuSH-101 and a controller.
Ha ha, I see what you did there

I will come back at you though and say 'surely that would be more than 250 for an equivalent setup'??? Considering I had to have the CV outputs

I'm all for hardware that is cheaper than software versions however limited they may be!!!

I also think that the Tal Bassline is a much better synth than the D16. Its also considerably cheaper too but I won't mention that or my come back looses its clout.......

oh hang on....

------------------
Thanks to Grain Bastard
lolirl (09-01-2014)
Old 09-01-2014, 03:14 PM   #11
Grain Bastard
IDMf Artist

Quote:
I was actually shocked at how different the MicroBrute and the Mopho sounded when I got them in the same room. I was kind of worried about buying another analog monosynth...like shouldnt that be a waste of money? No way, two entirely different flavors (though both are good at being aggresive, be be aggresive).

The Micro is making my Mopho desktop seem a bit tedious programming wise I do have to say.

It amused me that with a few knob twists I can make all kinda old school dub/jungle lasers hehehhehe, had me wishing I could spit some sound system jibberish.

So the polyBrute I get (and I want one of this fictional synths now...that is some fucked up gear lust)...but what would the MegaBrute be? 4 osc, 4 sub osc, with FM or waveshaping (gasp, BOTH?)
Lol, me too mate. I actually think the Mopho is a much more capable synth but as I've said before the programming isn't much fun for me. The Brute rules for this. I think they do complement each other though as the sound is different despite both being monosynths as you say.

I definately prefer pots to encoders too. The feel is much more natural imo.

Anyway, yes the Mega would be something along those lines you mention - probably going to throw a digital osc in there too along with a dual multimode filter and a few analog effects. Oh and the cv matrix is considerably bigger too

Don't get me started on the ModularBrute either, that shit needs to stay in my head for the time being

------------------
Old 09-01-2014, 03:23 PM   #12
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC

Quote:
Ha ha, I see what you did there

I will come back at you though and say 'surely that would be more than 250 for an equivalent setup'??? Considering I had to have the CV outputs

I'm all for hardware that is cheaper than software versions however limited they may be!!!

I also think that the Tal Bassline is a much better synth than the D16. Its also considerably cheaper too but I won't mention that or my come back looses its clout.......

oh hang on....
Probably yeah.
Well the synth is 120, but it's multitimbral and polyphonic so you'd be getting a good deal more to play with there but yeah it doesn't send CV messages as far as I know.

But from the looks of it [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
reckon that you can use any almost interface these days for CV control with a simple mod to your cables and their Silent Way plug-in pack is only 59 bucks.
Thanks to lolirl
relic (09-01-2014)
Old 09-01-2014, 03:34 PM   #13
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post

But from the looks of it [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
reckon that you can use any almost interface these days for CV control with a simple mod to your cables and their Silent Way plug-in pack is only 59 bucks.
You have all the awesome links
Thanks to relic
lolirl (09-01-2014)
Old 09-01-2014, 03:43 PM   #14
lolirl
Administrator

Flattery will get you everywhere.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:53 PM   #15
KrisM
Ghostly
KrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond repute
TX
MC Status: 7964

Mooer even makes MicroBrute-sized effects pedals. Toss their King Chorus, a delay, and distortion on the back of it and jam out.

I made an evil-sounding Hoover with a MicroBrute and the Octatrack's chorus.

------------------
Meh.
KrisM is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to KrisM
relic (09-01-2014)
Old 09-01-2014, 08:07 PM   #16
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
Mooer even makes MicroBrute-sized effects pedals. Toss their King Chorus, a delay, and distortion on the back of it and jam out.

I made an evil-sounding Hoover with a MicroBrute and the Octatrack's chorus.
Mooer pedals eh? Will take a look.

I thought Moogs new line of less expensive analog pedals might make a nice addition to the MicroBrute.

I have to say Im really liking the MicroBrute. A lot under the hood for the money. It was immediately a welcome change from the menu diving of the Mopho. Id recommend the Micro as both a first analog synth and a first synth in general. The MicroBrute encrouages creativity with a knob per function. Really love slowly dialing in just the right amount of x y and z on it.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:58 PM   #17
g0lem
Savage Mad Cunt
g0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MC
c-audio's basement, apparently.
MC Status: 31210

Quote:
Mooer pedals eh? Will take a look.

I thought Moogs new line of less expensive analog pedals might make a nice addition to the MicroBrute.

I have to say Im really liking the MicroBrute. A lot under the hood for the money. It was immediately a welcome change from the menu diving of the Mopho. Id recommend the Micro as both a first analog synth and a first synth in general. The MicroBrute encrouages creativity with a knob per function. Really love slowly dialing in just the right amount of x y and z on it.
It really is that amazing.
The only reason I didn't go ahead and re-order mine is the fact that I have a hertz donut and a steiner parker filter (blue lantern clones) that can do a lot of what the minibrute can do and a bit more.
It's really a great piece of hardware. When it fucking works.

------------------
g0lem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to g0lem
relic (10-01-2014)
Old 10-01-2014, 11:17 PM   #18
Stich
Savage Mad Cunt
Stich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MC
Keep Colorado Springs Lame
MC Status: 47410

The Microbrute looks like the biggest bang for the buck currently in mono synths. It's just fucking cool sounding.
Stich is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 11:39 PM   #19
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stich View Post
The Microbrute looks like the biggest bang for the buck currently in mono synths. It's just fucking cool sounding.
Im not going to pretend its a bread and butter synth that you can do everything with. But there is a surprising amount of sound design possible for a one oscillator monosynth.

I think I might bight the bullet and try the Square Trade warranty. Some people seem to have a lot of trouble with them, but in their complainst it sounded like they didnt understand the terms of coverage. Dunno. Its like 35 bucks for their two year plan.
Old 15-01-2014, 10:42 AM   #20
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 19660
Arturia MiniBrute

so i grabbed one of these for 150 quid and was wondering if there was any banks for it you could buy

Advertisements

joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote