Bass Station II - First Impressions and Song
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 25-09-2013, 09:40 PM   #1
Mason Bane
Mason Bane has a reputation beyond reputeMason Bane has a reputation beyond reputeMason Bane has a reputation beyond reputeMason Bane has a reputation beyond reputeMason Bane has a reputation beyond reputeMason Bane has a reputation beyond reputeMason Bane has a reputation beyond reputeMason Bane has a reputation beyond reputeMason Bane has a reputation beyond reputeMason Bane has a reputation beyond reputeMason Bane has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2109
Bass Station II - First Impressions and Song

In this video I give my first impressions about the Novation Bass Station II.

This is the most amazing piece of gear I have ever bought. It has a velvety smooth keyboard with aftertouch. It has 2 oscillators, a sub oscillator and noise available. It will imitate (edit: it could never stand in for a real Moog!!!) everything from a Moog to a TB-303 with the acid filter and also has distortion and overdrive.

It is simply unbelievable for the price.

Last edited by Mason Bane; 26-09-2013 at 02:19 AM..

Advertisements

------------------
Mason Bane is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 10:49 PM   #2
D_Davis
D_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MC
Seattle
MC Status: 11124485
Thanked 1,136 Times in 828 Posts
Re: Bass Station II - First Impressions and Song

It's a great synth. The best mono I've owned and played.

Although I disagree that it can emulate a Moog - it sounds very different. Nothing sounds like Moog except for a Moog.

The BSII's sound is more generic, more bread and butter. It doesn't have a lot of character, which makes it perfect for a huge number of styles and sounds. It's a workorse.

------------------
D_Davis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 10:59 PM   #3
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8538530
Thanked 6,952 Times in 4,946 Posts

god damn all these delicious reviews and videos....

Thanks Mason, enjoyed this new one from you : )

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
Mason Bane (26-09-2013)
Old 26-09-2013, 02:09 AM   #4
Mason Bane
Mason Bane has a reputation beyond reputeMason Bane has a reputation beyond reputeMason Bane has a reputation beyond reputeMason Bane has a reputation beyond reputeMason Bane has a reputation beyond reputeMason Bane has a reputation beyond reputeMason Bane has a reputation beyond reputeMason Bane has a reputation beyond reputeMason Bane has a reputation beyond reputeMason Bane has a reputation beyond reputeMason Bane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Davis View Post
It's a great synth. The best mono I've owned and played.

Although I disagree that it can emulate a Moog - it sounds very different. Nothing sounds like Moog except for a Moog.

The BSII's sound is more generic, more bread and butter. It doesn't have a lot of character, which makes it perfect for a huge number of styles and sounds. It's a workorse.
You are right! It doesn't "imitate" a Moog. I should not have been so enthusiastic as to suggest that, though patch 36 comes close to a Moog lead and when the sub osc, one notch of overdrive and one notch of distortion are added to Patch 36, it sounds a bit Moogy in the low end. Let's just say for what I paid the thing will do an amazing variety of sounds and leave it at that. I definitely am not going to drop $1,395 for the cheapest Moog with a keyboard.

Last edited by Mason Bane; 26-09-2013 at 02:20 AM..

------------------
Old 26-09-2013, 02:13 AM   #5
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Just so y'all know...decided to sell my mopho and another piece of gear to fund a BSII purchase :

------------------
Old 26-09-2013, 02:26 AM   #6
D_Davis
D_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MC
Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Bane View Post
You are right! It doesn't "imitate" a Moog. I should not have been so enthusiastic as to suggest that, though patch 36 comes close to a Moog lead and when the sub osc, one notch of overdrive and one notch of distortion are added to Patch 36, it sounds a bit Moogy in the low end. Let's just say for what I paid the thing will do an amazing variety of sounds and leave it at that. I definitely am not going to drop $1,395 for the cheapest Moog with a keyboard.
For sure! For the price, nothing comes close, and if I had to sell one of mine synths, the Slim Phatty would go before the BSII - no questions asked.

I love the BSII - it's just amazing.

------------------
Old 26-09-2013, 02:28 AM   #7
D_Davis
Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Just so y'all know...decided to sell my mopho and another piece of gear to fund a BSII purchase :
You will not regret it. Not as many modulation options as the Mopho, and the architecture in general is simpler, but I feel that good results are more immediate.

It's also just a really musical mono synth.

------------------
Thanks to D_Davis
relic (26-09-2013)
Old 26-09-2013, 02:40 AM   #8
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
You will not regret it. Not as many modulation options as the Mopho, and the architecture in general is simpler, but I feel that good results are more immediate.

It's also just a really musical mono synth.
Honestly never really dove into the extra mod options the mopho offers ...I feel like the trade off will only be a benefit ...besides...not letting go of my filter factory and still planning to get an el capistan ..figure the trio of a bsii, el cap and filter factory will be a sweet sweet combo

------------------
Thanks to relic
D_Davis (26-09-2013)
Old 26-09-2013, 01:32 PM   #9
Mason Bane

Quote:
I have not had a Mopho but I think it is better than the Bass Station from what I can see! And polychained to the Tetra it would be awesome.

I would think your plan would be to add a Tetra!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
Old 26-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #10
D_Davis
Seattle

I've had both, and greatly prefer the BSII (sold the Mopho a long time ago). But then again, I'm not a fan of the DSI sound at all, and the interface on the Mopho is cumbersome at best, four-times as much on the Tetra - I can't even imagine programming that thing without software.

------------------
Old 26-09-2013, 01:49 PM   #11
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

A big reason for my thinking of the change is the unispiring menu diving. Its not bad on the mopho and I agree w D Davis...cant imagine doing it on the tetra. Maybe I can figure out a way to keep the mopho and still get the bssii.

------------------
Old 26-09-2013, 02:52 PM   #12
D_Davis
Seattle

Certain instruments inspire certain musicians, and the simple fact is that the BSII totally inspires me to create music. Every single time I sit down with it, I create something that I like, and it's always a pleasure to do so. I never hit anything that disrupts my creative flow - it's one of the most intuitive and robust modern synths I've used. Just the simple fact that you run MIDI in and it automatically finds and syncs to a master clock is something that I love. You don't have to set it to AUTO or INTERNAL or EXTERNAL - it just does what it's supposed to do, and this is all because of Novation's history with and expertise with MIDI and controllers.

------------------
Old 26-09-2013, 03:12 PM   #13
DCA
Sample Destroyer
DCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond reputeDCA has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2110

big up, good review and a great track I really enjoyed that

------------------
Support from iknodubstep, ThatBassNation
Squinty Bass Records
DCA is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to DCA
Mason Bane (26-09-2013)
Old 26-09-2013, 06:35 PM   #14
Mason Bane

Quote:
I've had both, and greatly prefer the BSII (sold the Mopho a long time ago). But then again, I'm not a fan of the DSI sound at all, and the interface on the Mopho is cumbersome at best, four-times as much on the Tetra - I can't even imagine programming that thing without software.
I have often entertained the idea of the X4 hooked to a Tetra box. That would be 8 voices and less menu diving with knob per function.

I totally don't get the new Prophet 12 but that is another subject. If he simply added some FX and added a sub osc to the Prophet 08 I would have been all over that. But I detest the P12.

------------------
Old 27-09-2013, 01:19 AM   #15
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
I have often entertained the idea of the X4 hooked to a Tetra box. That would be 8 voices and less menu diving with knob per function.

I totally don't get the new Prophet 12 but that is another subject. If he simply added some FX and added a sub osc to the Prophet 08 I would have been all over that. But I detest the P12.
I know youd be missing the sub osc but why not just get a prophet08

------------------
Old 27-09-2013, 01:03 PM   #16
Mason Bane

Quote:
I know youd be missing the sub osc but why not just get a prophet08
Because I have seen the change that a sub osc does to a sound. And even the relatively cheap BSII has it! I would really love to have two Tetras instead because I don't care as much about the form factor as I do the sound. The only thing holding me back is the price. But the BSII I was not held back - such a value!

------------------
Thanks to Mason Bane
relic (27-09-2013)
Old 27-09-2013, 01:46 PM   #17
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Because I have seen the change that a sub osc does to a sound. And even the relatively cheap BSII has it! I would really love to have two Tetras instead because I don't care as much about the form factor as I do the sound. The only thing holding me back is the price. But the BSII I was not held back - such a value!
There is a difference...ive never been happy w a mopho patch that didnt use the subnosc two tetras w the software editor would be sweet.

------------------
Old 27-09-2013, 03:15 PM   #18
D_Davis
Seattle

Here are some more examples of the BSII - patches I've made/modified

------------------
Old 27-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #19
Mason Bane

Quote:
Here are some more examples of the BSII - patches I've made/modified

You got an amazing variety out of it. Your first patch is astounding. I love it.

------------------
Old 27-09-2013, 04:02 PM   #20
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 107050
Thanked 2,115 Times in 1,378 Posts

Loved your tune Mason - what a fun new toy.

Advertisements

------------------
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Oatbag
Mason Bane (30-09-2013)