The Hardware Thread - Page 660
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 11-10-2017, 09:31 PM   #13181
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222282884
Thanked 2,634 Times in 1,755 Posts
Re: The Hardware Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Noise View Post
I know, it really is for recording a pair of mics primarily, I have my eye on the Zoom L12 as a long-term solution. Or a used MOTU. But that's a story for another day.
its not that bad you can get a mixer for cheapsies that will take all of your gear in and output stereo to the interface you just bought

Advertisements

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to FunkMasterBrown
Dr. Sleaze (12-10-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 12:51 AM   #13182
Dr. Sleaze
Microknight
Dr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not who or where you think I am.
MC Status: 3810

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterBrown View Post
its not that bad you can get a mixer for cheapsies that will take all of your gear in and output stereo to the interface you just bought
+1
Dr. Sleaze is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 09:42 PM   #13183
cane creek
Savage Mad Cunt
cane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MC
Middlesbrough
MC Status: 10531801

Ive just ordered one of those KordBot thingys

------------------
cane creek is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2017, 05:56 AM   #13184
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 21060

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

You guys heard about this one yet? That poly synth market $1-$2k is crazy saturated right now. I've heard a few demos, and it sounds nice, though I'd have to look up the original to see how much of an improvement they've made.

------------------
Also, check this out. Updated 10-27-17.

White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to White Noise
relic (16-10-2017)
Old 15-10-2017, 02:14 PM   #13185
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC

Quote:

So, looking forward to having hardware and really getting hands on with how this stuff works.
over three days ive probably spent 10 hours to make the very first idea of a track (main sampled riff, supporting sampled loop, synth lead loop, bass loop and drums)

its nothing like what I ideally would've wanted to make, very much what I could. it sounds great, it sounds like 1994 if 1994 was shit

now I have to go away with a pen and paper and 3 manuals and work out how the fuck I'm gonna make it into a track. its kinda enjoyable for me but then I remember I actually want to make music

this has nothing to do with you and your own adventures I just felt like quoting you

cheers

------------------
White Noise (15-10-2017)
Old 15-10-2017, 02:39 PM   #13186
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 25860

Quote:

You guys heard about this one yet? That poly synth market $1-$2k is crazy saturated right now. I've heard a few demos, and it sounds nice, though I'd have to look up the original to see how much of an improvement they've made.
It's probably great, if it's what you are looking for.
Although the analog 4 can be a ploy synth, it's not its strength imo. It is better thought as 4 basic mono synths made to shine with the complex sequencer.
It has a learning curve for sure! Some say less than the octatrack but I found I didn't care for the way the sounds and kits were managed.
@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
knows his better then I got to know mine so hopefully he chimes in.
It might be worth investigating the second hand market on the mk1s tho.
They are great tripy techo/ electronic music synth groove boxes tho for sure!

Quote:
over three days ive probably spent 10 hours to make the very first idea of a track (main sampled riff, supporting sampled loop, synth lead loop, bass loop and drums)

its nothing like what I ideally would've wanted to make, very much what I could. it sounds great, it sounds like 1994 if 1994 was shit

now I have to go away with a pen and paper and 3 manuals and work out how the fuck I'm gonna make it into a track. its kinda enjoyable for me but then I remember I actually want to make music

this has nothing to do with you and your own adventures I just felt like quoting you

cheers
1 I am glad you are starting to figure it out! Have you tried playing the slice mode? It might be a good workflow for you considering where you are coming from. (Shift up and down arrows will give you different play modes of the trig buttons, including slice mode)

2 I personally find the arranger pretty simple so don't despair!

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jbvdb493
FunkMasterBrown (15-10-2017)
Old 15-10-2017, 03:25 PM   #13187
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbvdb493 View Post
1 I am glad you are starting to figure it out! Have you tried playing the slice mode? It might be a good workflow for you considering where you are coming from. (Shift up and down arrows will give you different play modes of the trig buttons, including slice mode)

2 I personally find the arranger pretty simple so don't despair!
thanks man. yeah I was doing that shit on day one! I'm flying around the thing the standard sampler/sequencer actions are all really simple it just takes forever because its really poorly designed

sounds good though. People seem to say it has a neutral sound but I really like how it pitches samples. I still hate the thing for so so many reasons but I do like using the clicky buttons sooo...

I resolved to sell it last week because its so expensive and now ive managed to haul myself only slightly back on the fence. I'm thinking maybe if I learn to use it some other way that people 'live improv' with it then it will become more useful - i'm unsure. that must be something wildly different because this hunk of dick shit is so slow I cannot see how you can use the word improvisation in the same sentence

------------------
relic (16-10-2017)
Old 16-10-2017, 12:57 AM   #13188
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8538530
Thanked 6,952 Times in 4,946 Posts

Quote:

The 2 big changes I know of in the MKII are that it gets physical individual audio outputs (not just Overbridge) and it gets the “bass boost” from the AK. I don’t feel any great need to upgrade.

I fucking love the Analog 4. I do agree that in some regards thinking of it as 4 mono synths with a powerful sequence is a good way to start to begin to understand it. I don’t think I’d call it basic, however. Its actually got a ton of features packed into each mono voice. I really can’t begin to list them all here, but two filters, four LFOs, PWM for all osc shapes oscialltor AM, FM-ish possabilities for fitler freq, osc pitch and freq.

Lately I’ve been using it largely as a polysynth or for unison leads. I have been seuqencing the note data from my DAW, but you can still program in p-locks and use the sequencer which leads to some really nice “organic” mutating chord sounds for modern house music. For complex pad sounds and atmospheres I’ve been experimenting with “use track sounds” which lets you use it as a poly synth, but each voice has its own synth patch. Lots of possabilities there.

The performance macros are amazing for dubbing live recordings in the studio or playing live. Basically you can attach unipolar or bipolar parameter changes for up to six (five?) parameters to a single knob. You can have one filter open, one close, send more signle to delay, and change the delay settings with one knob twist (for example).

Honestly the A4 does so much I never ever “max out” what it can do for a single patch.

Oh. And the FX track gets a sequencer for p-locks and LFOs and its a badass drum sequencer/synth.

One "project" on my back burner for the A4 is programming it as some kind of crazy delay/echo machine. Again, there is a lot you can do since it has audio inputs and each of the 4 tracks can set there osc to L or R audio input and filter feedback as well.

Last edited by relic; 16-10-2017 at 01:49 AM..

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
jbvdb493 (16-10-2017)
Old 17-10-2017, 11:26 PM   #13189
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist

Quote:
I cannot see how you can use the word improvisation in the same sentence
It seems that the 'magic' of the OT might be the different trig types. I honestly haven't had one second to sit down and re read the manual or do some experiments/learning with it yet but i think if you set up various record and playback trugs and then have a record playing in through the inputs for example this is how the famous amazing shit happens

Any of you OT guys do this stuff a lot? Any thoughts of where to start when I do get a chance or videos ideas ANYTHINGA

cheers. Hope everybody is good.

------------------
Old 17-10-2017, 11:51 PM   #13190
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC

Quote:
It seems that the 'magic' of the OT might be the different trig types. I honestly haven't had one second to sit down and re read the manual or do some experiments/learning with it yet but i think if you set up various record and playback trugs and then have a record playing in through the inputs for example this is how the famous amazing shit happens

Any of you OT guys do this stuff a lot? Any thoughts of where to start when I do get a chance or videos ideas ANYTHINGA

cheers. Hope everybody is good.
I don't use trigless trigs or trigless locks with live inputs, but for sequences that I made sure.
It's about retrigering envelopes, or doing parameter locks on step where the sample is playing through.

------------------
Thanks to jbvdb493
FunkMasterBrown (18-10-2017)
Old 18-10-2017, 08:40 AM   #13191
Schnork
Deep Underground
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC
MC Status: 13610

master
There are Videos that explain the 'automated sampling' method more in detail, but basically this is how it works.

You can also do cool stuff with one shot trigs like you could use them for pattern variation, just press 'yes' to re-arm all one shots. Use one shots for sampling or resampling etc..
Should be super fun combined with trig conditions.
One shot trigs on a flex machine containing a sliced sample with a random lfo set to 'start' can also be fun.
When you prepare sample chains, leave some silence in there. A random lfo set to
'start' can be used to choose a slice in a semi-random way.
Try different waveforms and lfo speeds.

Also -> Lfo's everywhere!

Last edited by Schnork; 18-10-2017 at 08:56 AM..

------------------
My dog ate my mixing levels
Schnork is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Schnork
FunkMasterBrown (18-10-2017)
Old 18-10-2017, 09:02 PM   #13192
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnork View Post
master
There are Videos that explain the 'automated sampling' method more in detail, but basically this is how it works.

You can also do cool stuff with one shot trigs like you could use them for pattern variation, just press 'yes' to re-arm all one shots. Use one shots for sampling or resampling etc..
Should be super fun combined with trig conditions.
One shot trigs on a flex machine containing a sliced sample with a random lfo set to 'start' can also be fun.
When you prepare sample chains, leave some silence in there. A random lfo set to
'start' can be used to choose a slice in a semi-random way.
Try different waveforms and lfo speeds.

Also -> Lfo's everywhere!
honestly sample chains are the antithesis to what I think is a good way to use a sampler so I will not be doing that but I see where youre coming from.

I read something on elektronauts about having multiple record trigs and multiple play trigs on the sequencer of one track. in my head I suddenly realised - this is where the 'magic' every person talks about will come from. this is why billions and trillions more people use the word 'mangle' all the time when they talk about what they did on their octatrack!

imagine this and bear with me:

you have a record trig randomly every 5 or 6 steps, sometimes only 2 steps apart. you have play trigs inbetween them immediately playing what is on the buffer

you have it set up to record from AB and you have an old Spanish sailor record which is just 16 tracks about soggy biscuits coming (lol) into those inputs, constantly playing

you spend a very long time parameter locking the balls out of the play trigs you put down with different pitches, amp settings, filter, effects you name it on each play trig

you press the play button and you let the thing go. you keep trying to turn certain trigs one shot to save a great moment and do this over a few minutes until every trig plays something crazy. the results would be so cool sometimes and you can resample forever and have loads of fun for your hard work!

nopeeeeee because I was mistaken and as the thing is monophonic as soon as you turn the recorder trigs to one shot it will start playing the same little blip on every play trig. I'm sick of making tracks out of fucking blips on this piece of shit. anyway yeah another rant I really am sorry

------------------
Old 22-10-2017, 09:24 PM   #13193
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist

I just bought my girlfriend a novation circuit and now I've looked at some videos im jelous of her!

Shes quite musical and seems half interested so I got it her but if she doesn't touch it ill sell it. Almost certainly a terrible idea and a waste of time/money but hey ho. Anybody else got one?

------------------
Old 22-10-2017, 09:52 PM   #13194
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
I just bought my girlfriend a novation circuit and now I've looked at some videos im jelous of her!

Shes quite musical and seems half interested so I got it her but if she doesn't touch it ill sell it. Almost certainly a terrible idea and a waste of time/money but hey ho. Anybody else got one?
I like the idea of the circuit like monosynth thingie but I kinda want a monologue more...also that crazy bastl stuff you linked me has me drooling haha

------------------
Thanks to relic
FunkMasterBrown (24-10-2017)
Old 22-10-2017, 09:57 PM   #13195
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Also the E2 Sampler is exactly the drum machine I was looking for.

------------------
Thanks to relic
jbvdb493 (22-10-2017)
Old 22-10-2017, 11:50 PM   #13196
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Also the E2 Sampler is exactly the drum machine I was looking for.
How are you finding sample loading and management?

------------------
Old 23-10-2017, 05:12 AM   #13197
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbvdb493 View Post
How are you finding sample loading and management?
I came armed with a blank sample library file and librarian software. Its all 3rd party but works a charm. You can load your own samples into the factory spaces which means you can preview the samples and everything.

Before that I was live sampling from my DAW for drums. Wasn’t awful, but certainly some what slower. Eventually I would have built up a nice drum library. I’ve got back ups of all this stuff so hopefully the E2 Sampler will be a trusted piece of drum sequencer gear for some years here. That being said...I still really do want to give a RYTM a try and honestly wouldn’t mind having a TR-8 with all the goodies again, but I’m really satifisied for now.

I’ve also recently got Gold Baby Ghetto Drum Samplers (one of their new packs). And its SO fucking tasty for some new school lofi house vibes.

Last edited by relic; 23-10-2017 at 05:21 AM..

------------------
Old 24-10-2017, 10:40 AM   #13198
lucky one
IDMf Artist
lucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MC
Liège
MC Status: 1900328

Hi all,

I strangely fell in love with the Dreadbox Nyx on youtube, and I consider buying one.

I love its raw sound and the semi-modular patch bay makes me dream of hours of experiments.

Unfortunately, I cannot try it by myself.
Has someone tried this already?
Does the patch bay really adds a lot of possibilities?
Is the reverb useful or does it wash the sound too much?

Thanks!

Luc

------------------
lucky one - Atmospheric Electronica & ChillOut - Facebook - SoundCloud - Spotify
lucky one is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 10:13 AM   #13199
aikighost
Lemon Eater
aikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MC
Reading
MC Status: 12851960

Quote:

Yeah Ive got one, its a fun little beast but to be honest I think their groovebox iPad app is better.

------------------
The ultimate Law: All general statements are false

My Techno Music News & Techno Mixes Blog

Submit mixes to TechnoMusicNews.com
aikighost is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 07:31 PM   #13200
candlesayshi
Imperfect
candlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 39281249
Thanked 1,174 Times in 754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky one View Post
I strangely fell in love with the Dreadbox Nyx on youtube, and I consider buying one.
I've been avoiding using any hardware in writing lately, but oof... Any of the Dreadbox synths have me drooling like crazy, but the Nyx in particular is the one I keep hovering over, too.

Advertisements

------------------
candlesayshi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote