USB MIDI controller question
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:48 AM   #1
Headpilot
Knob Twiddler
Headpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2960
USB MIDI controller question

I'm thinking about getting the M-Audio Keystation 32 due to limited space at home. It's powered by USB, but the thing is I use a Steinberg UR-22 audio interface which only has a MIDI input. If I get a USB to MIDI cable the keyboard isn't going to receive any power if I plug it in to the interface.

My question is is it possible to plug the keyboard directly into my computer instead of the interface, and still get it to work in tandem with my interface and software? It's my understanding that everything has to be plugged into the soundcard/audio interface.

Advertisements

Headpilot is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:54 AM   #2
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389848
Thanked 2,828 Times in 1,763 Posts
Re: USB MIDI controller question

Yes, of course USB works. You don't have to plug everything into your audio interface.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 10:26 AM   #3
Headpilot
Knob Twiddler
Headpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2960

Ok thanks. I know it sounded like a noobie question. What I wondered though was what would determine the latency of my keyboard if it wasn't plugged into the audio interface?
Headpilot is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 02:02 PM   #4
TheWizar
Savage Mad Cunt
TheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MC
Vermont
MC Status: 4837848

Whatever the latency of the midi driver is I suppose. The input latency is usually pretty small.

------------------
My latest work:
TheWizar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 12:24 PM   #5
edwingeraldvanwyk
Minor Glitch
edwingeraldvanwyk will become famous soon enoughedwingeraldvanwyk will become famous soon enough
Cape Town
MC Status: 110

You should be able to adjust the latency, usually the M Audio Keyboards come with software and driver to address your latency issues.

Advertisements

edwingeraldvanwyk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote