Whats your favourite Akai MPC model and why?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:49 AM   #1
q(-_-)p
Minor Glitch
q(-_-)p will become famous soon enoughq(-_-)p will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110
Whats your favourite Akai MPC model and why?

I haven't tried out any of the range of mpc's. been reading up on them on wikipedia and a few other places a while back and from what I could remember quite a few models have their pro's and con's when you factor in second hand prices and how certain models are different to others.

Advertisements

q(-_-)p is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: autechre - tkakanren
Old 07-09-2012, 04:06 AM   #2
Kong
Kong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MC
Toronto
MC Status: 4175236
Re: whats your favourite akai mpc model and why?

i dunno about mpc's but i'm interested in scoring one of those oldschool gray mpc2000s.. then again that's a long time from now cuz i have a maschine that's super sexy and does the trick for me. the mpc would purely be for fappery.

you should look into the maschine it's hella awesome!

------------------
Kong is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:42 PM   #3
q(-_-)p
Minor Glitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong View Post
i dunno about mpc's but i'm interested in scoring one of those oldschool gray mpc2000s.. then again that's a long time from now cuz i have a maschine that's super sexy and does the trick for me. the mpc would purely be for fappery.

you should look into the maschine it's hella awesome!
yea the 2000 was something I liked the look of or 2000xl,
I did consider maschine a while back when I was figuring out which route I wanted to take. I think it still relies much on a computer to be hooked up to it right? I was thinking of going the route of taking the pc/laptop out of the music making process and being solely hardware based but i'm considering it as an option.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
q(-_-)p
Minor Glitch

from wikipedia;

The MPC2000XL is similar to the MPC2000 but with many newer features; including four independent pad-bank keys, number of samples stored doubled to 256 on the XL, altering sounds to a different bit depth or sampling rate could be accomplished by resampling, time stretch was added along with other features. In 2004 the 2000XL-MCD version was released, which features a CompactFlash card reader as standard in place of the floppy drive or Zip drives used in earlier models.[13] There were 4 limited edition 2000XL SE MPCs created between 2000 and 2003. There were two versions of the SE 1, one with an improved control surface, compatible with growing number of sound libraries and one with aesthetic changes. The Limited Edition SE 2 and SE 3 also had only aesthetic changes.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:41 PM   #5
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1535477
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,242 Posts

MPC 500, because its battery operated and i can use it wherever i like.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:17 AM   #6
q(-_-)p
Minor Glitch

bump!
Old 10-06-2013, 01:42 AM   #7
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 106850
Thanked 2,111 Times in 1,376 Posts

Get one that allows a hard drive to be added I think. Or at least some modern storage. Otherwise I got some old ZIP disks I could sell

------------------
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:16 AM   #8
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222282884
Thanked 2,634 Times in 1,755 Posts

the 1000 for me easily. id get the OS upgrade (JJ) and that would be that. i dont need any of the extra outputs/tracks that come with the 2500, 4000, 5000 or whatever and id probably have just as quick a workflow with the 1000

i wouldnt get an MPC though. unless youve got some nostalgiac/novelty related love for the idea of an MPC im not sure why anybody would UNLESS you want to make your tracks all outside the box and you need a brain for the setup. if i want a sampler to be creative and be useful for my music i wouldnt get an MPC at all

get a maschine if you havent decided already. seriously even if you have a good look at it you wont realise how many millions of times better it is unless you get one. so just do it man

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 10:42 AM   #9
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269462258
Thanked 2,773 Times in 1,844 Posts

Necro-thread-posting.

I've scored a MPC 5000 off Ebay and received yesterday. Mainly because it was really underpriced and in case I don't like it I can resell it for a bit more.
I didn't have much time to set it up, but so far I'm well impressed, plenty of controls, lots of features and the screen is a beauty.

I player around with the VA synth and it sounds quite good, simple to program too.
I still haven't wrapped my head around the seemingly random pad-to-note mapping...

------------------
Automageddon is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Automageddon
relic (14-02-2014)
Old 14-02-2014, 01:05 PM   #10
liveact
Minor Glitch
liveact is just really niceliveact is just really niceliveact is just really niceliveact is just really niceliveact is just really nice
MC Status: 410
Re: Whats your favourite Akai MPC model and why?

My Friend's have the MPC 5000,and the built in synth is very useful,and the effects sections also.
I like very much the grimey distortion,and tape delay etc.It have digital and analog outputs,and inputs.
liveact is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 07:58 PM   #11
Bairkan
Banned
Bairkan can only hope to improveBairkan can only hope to improveBairkan can only hope to improveBairkan can only hope to improveBairkan can only hope to improveBairkan can only hope to improveBairkan can only hope to improveBairkan can only hope to improveBairkan can only hope to improveBairkan can only hope to improveBairkan can only hope to improve
molest me, senpai
MC Status: -2147475747

Normally the not mapping on an mpc starts at the bottom left and goes up in pitch by going right and then up to the next row when your reach the fourth pad in a row, the bottom left corner pad note should normally be selected pretty easily, at least on the 2500 it is, mind you I'm running JJ so there might be some difference there.
Bairkan is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 10:46 AM   #12
cane creek
Savage Mad Cunt
cane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MC
Middlesbrough
MC Status: 10531801

Funny yesterday I was dead set on buying a MPC1000 only to find they don't make them anymore, after doing a lot of reading it seemed the perfect MPC for me taking into account features v price, not sure I really want a secondhand one...... Bloody shame.

------------------
cane creek is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 08:51 PM   #13
aikighost
Lemon Eater
aikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MC
Reading
MC Status: 12851960

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Funny yesterday I was dead set on buying a MPC1000 only to find they don't make them anymore, after doing a lot of reading it seemed the perfect MPC for me taking into account features v price, not sure I really want a secondhand one...... Bloody shame.
I wouldn't worry too much, spares and repairs & OS updates will be available for years to come via MPCSTUFF and the Japanese Jenius guys. I love my MPC1000 its a lovely bit of kit.

------------------
The ultimate Law: All general statements are false

My Techno Music News & Techno Mixes Blog

Submit mixes to TechnoMusicNews.com
aikighost is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 02:53 PM   #14
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.

Apart from the size, the MPC 5K is fucking massive, I'm really enjoying my time with it so far, and for what I paid for it (550 and that included a Peli stormcase that's already being sold) if we don't click, it can always be resold for a bit of a gain.
Advantages over software? None, but it helps me focus on the actual task at hand, sampling/resampling and sequencing.

------------------
Thanks to Automageddon
aikighost (24-02-2014)
Old 12-03-2014, 10:13 AM   #15
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Less kids, more synths.

After spending more time with it, I'm still really enjoying it.
I think I will try to downsize it to a MPC-2500, the size and weight of the 5K are a bit too much, I wouldn't be able to use it anywhere else than home, but it clicked with me in a sort-of zen way.
The huge variety of filters (10 I think) in different flavours, from 1 to 8 poles, give you some great sound shaping tools, the sequencer is really tight, midi integration real easy.

------------------
Thanks to Automageddon
aikighost (12-03-2014)
Old 14-03-2014, 06:46 PM   #16
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65410
Thanked 1,308 Times in 987 Posts

Have any of you guys tried out the MPC Element or MPC Studio, you know the ones that are Computer front ends integrated? I am curious about how well they work and what advantages they have.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 10:41 AM   #17
aikighost
Lemon Eater
aikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MC
Reading
MC Status: 12851960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nystagmus View Post
Have any of you guys tried out the MPC Element or MPC Studio, you know the ones that are Computer front ends integrated? I am curious about how well they work and what advantages they have.
If you're going to go with a computer integrated equivalent ot the MPC Id go with NI maschine, its just a better developed and supported solution plus you get full integration with all NIs soft synths and a free copy of massive.

------------------
The ultimate Law: All general statements are false

My Techno Music News & Techno Mixes Blog

Submit mixes to TechnoMusicNews.com
aikighost is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 08:28 AM   #18
annunakirecords
Regular Freak
annunakirecords is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

mpc 2000 & mpc renaissance....cos i have them in the studio

Advertisements

annunakirecords is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote