Which Aphex Exciter?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 08-03-2014, 03:28 PM   #1
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8538130
Thanked 6,944 Times in 4,941 Posts
Which Aphex Exciter?

Title pretty much covers it. If I get another piece of gear in the next six months this is long overdue. I have heard too many good things about the modern units not to give it a shot. And the pricing isnt bad on many of them. There are so many models though....was curious if anyone had any experience or happened to know the more sought after models.

Advertisements

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:25 PM   #2
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1535327
Thanked 1,942 Times in 1,241 Posts
Re: Which Aphex Exciter?

The Aphex Twin

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
relic (08-03-2014)
Old 08-03-2014, 05:38 PM   #3
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedestroy View Post
The Aphex Twin
Aphex Twin excites....mmmmmmhhhhh there is a dirty joke there somewhere...

------------------
Old 08-03-2014, 07:32 PM   #4
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389848
Thanked 2,828 Times in 1,763 Posts

(speaking of twins) The one with the Biggest Buttom. Muhahah.

I kinda love my Aphex Exciter, old 104 model.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Evelon
relic (08-03-2014)
Old 08-03-2014, 07:59 PM   #5
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
(speaking of twins) The one with the Biggest Buttom. Muhahah.

I kinda love my Aphex Exciter, old 104 model.
To the first point, "defiantly!"TM

To the second, what do you find yourself using it on? EDIT: why do you find yourself loving it? Still kinda on the fence about how much dust it will collect.

(And yea...wouldnt get one w/o the big bottom feature)

------------------
Old 09-03-2014, 12:12 AM   #6
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
To the first point, "defiantly!"TM

To the second, what do you find yourself using it on? EDIT: why do you find yourself loving it? Still kinda on the fence about how much dust it will collect.

(And yea...wouldnt get one w/o the big bottom feature)
It can be used on alot of things. It adds harmonics by distortion which makes everything a bit more crisp and detailed (highs) and warm and cozy (lows/big bottom). Compared to an EQ ("frequency volume") it kind of acts as an overdrive, parallel compressor and EQ all in one.

It can be used on bass, snare, kicks, vocals, guitar, group busses, etc...heck even the master. The "problem" for me when I got it was that it made everything "sound better", so I over-used it, making instruments/sounds fight for space in the mix. Now I find that a little goes a long way. Everything doesn't have to be in your face crisp or "phat"/boomy/loud.

They can come pretty cheap. Especially the older ones. Buy one and try it out, experiment, over-use it. If it sucks then sell it again.

Oh, and I find that DSP/VST exciters are quite boring/static compared to the analog one. It's more organic and probably behaves differently due to dynamics/signal levels and frequency response.

Last edited by Evelon; 09-03-2014 at 12:18 AM..

------------------
Thanks to Evelon
relic (09-03-2014)
Old 09-03-2014, 01:39 AM   #7
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
It can be used on alot of things. It adds harmonics by distortion which makes everything a bit more crisp and detailed (highs) and warm and cozy (lows/big bottom). Compared to an EQ ("frequency volume") it kind of acts as an overdrive, parallel compressor and EQ all in one.

It can be used on bass, snare, kicks, vocals, guitar, group busses, etc...heck even the master. The "problem" for me when I got it was that it made everything "sound better", so I over-used it, making instruments/sounds fight for space in the mix. Now I find that a little goes a long way. Everything doesn't have to be in your face crisp or "phat"/boomy/loud.

They can come pretty cheap. Especially the older ones. Buy one and try it out, experiment, over-use it. If it sucks then sell it again.

Oh, and I find that DSP/VST exciters are quite boring/static compared to the analog one. It's more organic and probably behaves differently due to dynamics/signal levels and frequency response.
Thanks man. This pretty much echoes a lot of what I have been reading about them. And what you say about the VST versions is what I hear all over the place. They are not very expensive so I was pretty excited about one. I guess I will just try one at at some point.

I also think a lot of the VST ones (like Waves) emulate the original...the really old one that only like five studios had. It has no knobs, it's all automatic/has no settings, just does what it does.

Anyway

------------------
Old 09-03-2014, 10:14 AM   #8
Evelon
IDMf Artist

Glad if I could help out.

Advertisements

------------------