Benny Hill and other UK stuffs...
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Side Room Off topic chat about pretty much anything other than music. Try to be respectful. Strong debate is welcomed, insults and trolling are not. This area is for over 18's only and may occasionally contain NSFW material, although it's not encouraged.

Old 27-02-2014, 03:24 AM   #1
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5743193
Benny Hill and other UK stuffs...

So I was a kid. I've always liked funny stuff growing up. I found out about Benny Hill every Sunday night on a public broadcasting station(PBS). They'd actually play multiple older shows for a few hours and I'd go to sleep watching these.

One night, the Benny Hill showed boobies. My little eyes grew so big. BOOOOOBS. Seems that slipped through the cracks. BOOOOOBS.

The end.

Also, I can't remember the name of the other show, it was about a bunch of people that worked in a department store, it was also pretty funny.

Advertisements

------------------
Say
bbb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 03:33 AM   #2
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80993580
Thanked 4,067 Times in 2,639 Posts
Re: Benny Hill and other UK stuffs...

My dad used to watch benny hill. I never quite found it funny but I thought I couldn't understand it because it was a adult's show
and didn't need benny hill to show me boobs when I had total recall
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 03:42 AM   #3
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5743193

It wasn't about the boobs. But I always found it hilarious. Old cartoons, 3 Stooges, Charlie Chaplin, etc etc. In my early childhood. I didn't know about Benny Hill until I was older(early teens) but it was awesome.

Just like catching Monty Python and then noticing them in movies afterwards.

------------------
Say
bbb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 06:02 AM   #4
Marklar
Ghostly
Marklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MCMarklar is a savage MC
Arkansas
MC Status: 8217735

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb View Post
So I was a kid. I've always liked funny stuff growing up. I found out about Benny Hill
I never understood why people found him funny. Boobs are cool though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb View Post
Also, I can't remember the name of the other show, it was about a bunch of people that worked in a department store, it was also pretty funny.
Are You Being Served
Marklar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Marklar
lolirl (27-02-2014)
Old 27-02-2014, 10:37 AM   #5
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269464908
Thanked 2,826 Times in 1,873 Posts

If this is about British HUMOUR, then apart from Benny Hill and the already-mentioned Monty Python, I think we should mention Mr. Bean.

Our English teacher in high school used to show us some Mr. Bean episodes every now and then.
She was British born and bred and she insisted that behind the comical facade, Mr. Bean was quintessentially British.

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Automageddon
bbb (27-02-2014)
Old 27-02-2014, 01:07 PM   #6
Solarite
-
Solarite is a savage MCSolarite is a savage MCSolarite is a savage MCSolarite is a savage MCSolarite is a savage MCSolarite is a savage MCSolarite is a savage MCSolarite is a savage MCSolarite is a savage MCSolarite is a savage MCSolarite is a savage MC
Mid
MC Status: 63769894

British comedy is second to none in my opinion. Monty Python is my favourite - it's even better when high... It's not very often six of the weirdest most bizarre and downright hilarious minds get together to make comedy, but when they do, Python results.

The Office (UK), Alan Partridge, Only Fools and Horses... They're all up there.

------------------
Solarite is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 03:20 PM   #7
Kaede
Imperator Furiosa
Kaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MC
MC Status: 52987903
Thanked 1,115 Times in 647 Posts

The mighty boosh!
Kaede is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Kaede
professurreal (27-02-2014)
Old 27-02-2014, 04:42 PM   #8
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389848
Thanked 2,828 Times in 1,763 Posts

I liked Benny Hill for the crappy jokes and the boobs, but my favorite one was The Young Ones (it's almost eaqually "crappy"):

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Evelon
lolirl (27-02-2014)
Old 28-02-2014, 03:30 AM   #9
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarite View Post
Only Fools and Horses... They're all up there.
oh man. Del boy. Falling through the bar.
Thanks to Lug
brn20 (28-02-2014)
Old 28-02-2014, 04:04 AM   #10
Benwaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug View Post
oh man. Del boy. Falling through the bar.
Whilst I love only fools and horses, that clip and the fucking batman one really get on my tits. They're the only clips that ever get shown whenever only fools is referenced anywhere, and there's much better comedy to be found elsewhere in that programme IMO

Black adder needs to be mentioned here too I reckon, even though it's not quite as old as those mentioned.
Also Kenny Everett, that guy was a genius. Like a better version of Benny hill, who I loved btw. Side note: I have Ernie the fastest milkman in the west on vinyl
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 08:52 AM   #11
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42388249
Thanked 5,085 Times in 3,316 Posts

Kenny Everett was indeed a genius, he drove the censors mental. Cupid Stunt: Best. Name. Ever. And his advice for parking problems was brilliant. Its a shame when you look it up on YouTube they spoil the joke before you've even seen it.

Aye, Blackadder was awesome.

Not crazy about Benny Hill and most of the mainstreams. Only Fools was something I can dip in or out of but not really into.

Red Dwarf was great... most of the time. It has been very uneven down the years but probably peaked with series 5. Ace Rimmer, what a guy!

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 10:11 AM   #12
FTD
Master of the LFO
FTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MC
MC Status: 3463805

Benny Hill was awful, you only watched it for a prepubescent glimpse of lingerie and because your mum hated it. Same with Kenny Everett, although there were a couple of sketches that I suppose were ok.

Great British comedy worth searching out.

The Day Today (Absolute genius)
Brass Eye
I'm Alan Partridge
Phoenix Nights
Blackadder (especially series 2 & 4)
Monty Python when it hits home but they themselves admit it ran for too long.
Fawlty Towers
Peep Show
The Thick Of It
Big Train (though 2nd series is a bit weak when the Father Ted guys stopped writing it)

And if you want some dark, surreal, plain unsettling at times with loads of Aphex in the soundtrack, search youtube for episodes of Jam

http://youtu.be/NCtG5_yKafE

------------------
FTD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 10:51 AM   #13
Solarite
-
Solarite is a savage MCSolarite is a savage MCSolarite is a savage MCSolarite is a savage MCSolarite is a savage MCSolarite is a savage MCSolarite is a savage MCSolarite is a savage MCSolarite is a savage MCSolarite is a savage MCSolarite is a savage MC
Mid
MC Status: 63769894

^ Holy shit I forgot Fawlty Towers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwaa View Post
Whilst I love only fools and horses, that clip and the fucking batman one really get on my tits. They're the only clips that ever get shown whenever only fools is referenced anywhere, and there's much better comedy to be found elsewhere in that programme IMO
Agreed 100%

Quote:
Side note: I have Ernie the fastest milkman in the west on vinyl
My grandad had this. We played it to death. We all thought it was hilarious at the time, but that song gives me the chills every time now.

------------------
Solarite is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 11:09 AM   #14
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744031141
Thanked 7,274 Times in 4,521 Posts

lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to lolirl
Lug (28-02-2014)
Old 28-02-2014, 11:10 AM   #15
brn20
IDMf Artist
brn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MC
London
MC Status: 73802573
Thanked 1,791 Times in 1,192 Posts

Quote:
I think he's referencing Mr S. Lee:

By the way Stewart is the best British stand up going, along with Daniel Kitson, for anyone who doesn't know.

Another top tip - Peter Cook and Chris Morris (On The Hour, The Day Today, Brass Eye, Jam, Four Lions), and pretty much everything Armando Iannucci's been involved in.

------------------
brn20 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 12:36 PM   #16
Lug
Soxdix

it was a reference to stewart lee's comedy vehicle but I was glad with my untold reference. Now it has been posted twice in a row and it's spoiled
Old 28-02-2014, 12:42 PM   #17
Benwaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by brn20 View Post
I think he's referencing Mr S. Lee:

Stewart Lee on Only Fools and Horses - YouTube

ooo i never knew about this

i thought we were talking series' from yesteryear too tbh otherwise i'd have made a fuck off list
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 03:36 PM   #18
Optimal Prime
Ghostly
Optimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond repute
Greater Manchester
MC Status: 6710

Someone's already mentioned it but Brass Eye is one of my favourites along with the even older series The Day Today.

------------------
Newest Track: Powercyan - Disciples of the Night (Optimal Prime 'Future DnB Remix')

Optimal Prime is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Optimal Prime
brn20 (28-02-2014)
Old 28-02-2014, 03:46 PM   #19
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42388249
Thanked 5,085 Times in 3,316 Posts

The Brass Eye ep on drug dealing is a classic. Some of the names they come up with for imaginary drugs they are trying to push are just brilliant.

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 04:21 PM   #20
FTD
Master of the LFO
FTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MC
MC Status: 3463805

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stercogburn View Post
The Brass Eye ep on drug dealing is a classic. Some of the names they come up with for imaginary drugs they are trying to push are just brilliant.
All those "edgey comedians", pranks shows etc. I wonder how many would actually have the balls to do this.

Advertisements

------------------
FTD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote