Should I use free vocal samples?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 21-04-2015, 04:52 PM   #1
Zigg
Granular Poster
Zigg is a name known to allZigg is a name known to allZigg is a name known to allZigg is a name known to allZigg is a name known to allZigg is a name known to all
MC Status: 560
Should I use free vocal samples?

I want to start using royalty-free vocal samples, so that I don't have to publish my songs as remixes when I include vocals in them. Is it worth it? Would it be frowned upon?

Advertisements

Zigg is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 06:44 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8564580
Thanked 7,473 Times in 5,277 Posts
Re: Should I use free vocal samples?

Who do you think will frown on it?

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 07:07 PM   #3
Zigg
Granular Poster
Zigg is a name known to allZigg is a name known to allZigg is a name known to allZigg is a name known to allZigg is a name known to allZigg is a name known to all
MC Status: 560

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Who do you think will frown on it?
record labels and other people who make music
Zigg is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 07:49 PM   #4
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8564580
Thanked 7,473 Times in 5,277 Posts

My only concern would be that commercially available vocals (Loopmasters et al.) are going to be rinsed by the amateur and/or "paint by numbers" crowd.

There are so many other options--options I feel are often ignored because they take some effort or minor financing--but IMO...

1. If you live near-ish a college or university put up fliers on campus calling for a vocalist looking to work with a composer/song writer.

2. There are are several online networking sites where vocalists create a profile and pricing scheme to work with musicians/producers whatever. One is http://vocalizr.com/ It can't hurt to give it a shot.

3. Depending on the extent of the vocal you could try recording something yourself. I know it isn't for everyone, but if all you need is a phrase/hook...it could be an answer.

4. As someone who co-runs a small label...I wouldn't be adverse to someone sending a demo with "place holder" vocals.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 08:34 AM   #5
Mader
Granular Poster
Mader is a jewel in the roughMader is a jewel in the roughMader is a jewel in the rough
Adelaide, South Australia
MC Status: 260

I understand your hesitation, I have had similar feelings myself. The reality is that vocals will always be a strong technique to build further engagement with your audience. If you can find something that fits well with the message you are trying to convey and the mix itself then use it. Just because something is free does not mean it wont have an impact to your audience.

However having said this just make sure that free also means you have rights to what you produce, else you may have a nasty surprise if you get noticed.
Mader is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 09:41 AM   #6
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 59510
Thanked 1,190 Times in 791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigg View Post
I want to start using royalty-free vocal samples, so that I don't have to publish my songs as remixes when I include vocals in them. Is it worth it? Would it be frowned upon?
I'd say go for it. And just to let you know: If you are using non-royalty-free vocals and you are publishing those songs you are doing something illegal no matter if you publish them as remixes or not. The only thing that matters is whether you have the permission of whoever own the rights to those vocals or not. There is no way of legally publishing it withotu the explicit permission. So be careful...

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to professurreal
Kvlt O))) (26-04-2015)
Old 26-04-2015, 06:10 PM   #7
djoxygen
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
djoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MC
Fuck you nosy cunt... lol USA
MC Status: 9390679

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigg View Post
record labels and other people who make music
wat do u mean? what kind of vocal samples r u talking about?

Advertisements

------------------
>>>DJ OXYGEN<<<
>>>JOIN OR DIE<<<

"and the decades of what appears to have been unnecessary fearmongering"
djoxygen is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote