Getting back into music, what are the latest production techniques
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 13-01-2018, 04:23 AM   #1
v1o
Minor Glitch
v1o is currently spamming hard
Manchester
MC Status: 10
Getting back into music, what are the latest production techniques

Im getting back into production. Ive done a refresher on techniques which were popular when I stopped making music such as Reeses, Dubstep Wobbles, side chaining/ducking and Parallell compression. Are there any other new sound design and production/mixing techniques which I should be looking into. My focus is going to be IDM and Future Bass genres.

Advertisements

v1o is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 02:22 PM   #2
Iyashi Sound
Knob Twiddler
Iyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9360
Re: Getting back into music, what are the latest production techniques

One new thing I've seen lately is American youtube-rappers drinking some kind of synthetic, opioid, purple sugar-syrup concoction they call "drank". It seems to make them instantly more famous than they really deserve, so maybe you could look into that.
Iyashi Sound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 04:34 PM   #3
Bluesh1ft
Sample Destroyer
Bluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond repute
In another world, usually
MC Status: 2710

Flee the Sunny-D and thank da purple drank. Cuz the purple drank will make you da bank while other people dip into the stank. Peace we outta here.
Bluesh1ft is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 12:18 AM   #4
-Agu-
Knob Twiddler
-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute
Helsinki
MC Status: 6160

Out of the things you already mentioned:

Dubstep went to the point where people use Volumeshaper or LFO tool to make everything duck by like infinite dB when kick/snare hits.

Wobbles went to growls of different kinds and from there they went to growls of one kind, which is Xfer Serum.

Reeses went to "achieve what Noisia did on their last ep" circle-jerk. In general, everything through Izotope Trash and Valhalla Room.

IDM is IDM

Wasn't Future Bass that genre with 7th chords and harmonically screwed up and then resampled organs etc. everywhere?

Also, loudness war 1 ended in-cease fire. Loud States retreated to EDM and Dynamic Republic pulled back to "normal" music. I'm sure there will be another one when people collectively figure out the best way to exploit Spotify's loudness normalization system.

------------------
-Agu- is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 12:21 AM   #5
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8564480
Thanked 7,471 Times in 5,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Agu- View Post
Out of the things you already mentioned:

Dubstep went to the point where people use Volumeshaper or LFO tool to make everything duck by like infinite dB when kick/snare hits.

Wobbles went to growls of different kinds and from there they went to growls of one kind, which is Xfer Serum.

Reeses went to "achieve what Noisia did on their last ep" circle-jerk. In general, everything through Izotope Trash and Valhalla Room.

IDM is IDM

Wasn't Future Bass that genre with 7th chords and harmonically screwed up and then resampled organs etc. everywhere?

Also, loudness war 1 ended in-cease fire. Loud States retreated to EDM and Dynamic Republic pulled back to "normal" music. I'm sure there will be another one when people collectively figure out the best way to exploit Spotify's loudness normalization system.
spot on and hilarious

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 04:54 PM   #6
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 55360
Thanked 1,107 Times in 729 Posts

You gotta do Tide pods now in order to make gud muzics
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 07:15 PM   #7
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 176060
Thanked 3,521 Times in 2,099 Posts

AI took everything over.

Also this site needs to be renamed AIDMForums.com
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 07:33 PM   #8
relic
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Serious answer:

Go do your homework. Don’t be a passive reciever of infomration. Go back and check out the artists and labels you used to listen to. Listen to what they are up to. Literally take notes. Not mental notes while smoking a spliff in your Superman undies. Like really listen and right shit down.

And tbf, that question is kind of vague. It sounds like you are asking what the current tropes of IDM and Future Bass are. I don’t listen to either of those flavors much, you’ll just have to go listen.

------------------
Old 14-01-2018, 10:03 PM   #9
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 55360
Thanked 1,107 Times in 729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Literally take notes. Not mental notes while smoking a spliff in your Superman undies.
Although this is another valid option in its own right
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 10:11 PM   #10
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post
Although this is another valid option in its own right
It was one of those “Do what I say, not what I do.” Situations. But mine are psychedelic cat boxer shorts. They came with a pair of pj pants as well. This is what counts as lingerie at our house. MEEEEEEEE-OOOW.

------------------
Old 15-01-2018, 06:52 AM   #11
Bipolar Joe
Master of the LFO
Bipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9010

Just pay Chinese people to make music for you and release it under your own name like normal people, fuck.

------------------
Try a lowpassed square wave, moron.

Also, buy my God damn music, please.
Bipolar Joe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 11:47 AM   #12
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 199860
Thanked 3,997 Times in 2,972 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
It was one of those Do what I say, not what I do. Situations. But mine are psychedelic cat boxer shorts. They came with a pair of pj pants as well. This is what counts as lingerie at our house. MEEEEEEEE-OOOW.

The cat got more than just your tongue, then?

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
relic (15-01-2018)
Old 15-01-2018, 01:58 PM   #13
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744043391
Thanked 7,519 Times in 4,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
AI took everything over.

Also this site needs to be renamed AIDSMForums.com
ftfy
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to lolirl
thom (15-01-2018)
Old 18-01-2018, 01:09 AM   #14
eesn
Knob Twiddler
eesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond repute
London
MC Status: 4910

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1o View Post
Are there any other new sound design and production/mixing techniques which I should be looking into
complex modulation for sounds and logic programming (as in coding patterns) for arrangement have become way more common. also there's an infinite supply of over-the-top intricate FL arrangements and modular patches on Youtube to watch and get ideas from :]

------------------
eesn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 06:29 PM   #15
localspace
Analog Lurker
localspace is a splendid one to beholdlocalspace is a splendid one to beholdlocalspace is a splendid one to beholdlocalspace is a splendid one to beholdlocalspace is a splendid one to beholdlocalspace is a splendid one to beholdlocalspace is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 710

Listen to what everybody else is doing... then do something else. I think we're past the point where 'wow, impressive technique' gets the job done.
localspace is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to localspace
Vault O))) (21-01-2018)
Old 29-01-2018, 06:25 PM   #16
skilabou
IDMf's latest spammer
skilabou is currently spamming hard
New York
MC Status: 10

I would get my hands on Serum and study/reverse-engineering the presets

Advertisements