[Progressive House] Kyrpto - Northern Lights
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 13-12-2017, 08:55 AM   #1
Kyrpto
Sample Destroyer
Kyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to all
MC Status: 560
[Progressive House] Kyrpto - Northern Lights

I started this track a while back when following a tutorial. I finally decided to it into a full song.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Any idea on how to get a better mix especially with the melodies?

Last edited by Kyrpto; 14-12-2017 at 11:15 AM..

Advertisements

------------------
Kyrpto is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [Progressive House] Kyrpto - Northern Lights.
Old 13-12-2017, 09:10 AM   #2
White Noise
IDMf Artist
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 25260
Re: [Progressive House] Kyrpto - Northern Lights

I think you can make a few tweaks that'll go a long way.

1. Turn down the arp, that should be lower than your melody.

2. Beef up your bassline/melody (it sounds like your bassline is the melody to me).
By this, I mean that the instrument sounds like it's got a lopass filter on it the entire song just waiting to be opened up. Then pushed through distortion to give it more higher harmonics. It needs to compete with that arp.

3. Sidechain. Your drums are a bit far back in the mix. Turn them up, then sidechain everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) else to the kick and snare to make them have even more impact. This will give you more of that housey rhythm too.

Right now, the arp is just on a higher level from everything else, you need to bring the rest of the track up to that level and then it should sound much more club-ready.

------------------
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 11:15 AM   #3
Kyrpto
Sample Destroyer
Kyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to all

I lowered the volume on the arps, raised the volume of the melodies and made some other changes. Not sure how to approach the filter and compression thing.

Last edited by Kyrpto; 14-12-2017 at 01:27 PM..

------------------
Old 16-12-2017, 08:40 PM   #4
White Noise
IDMf Artist
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California

This is an improvement. I could not hear your melody at all before and now I can. I'd say turn it up a bit more (maybe as little as half a db would do) to make it pop.

I see one of your daws is FL studio, so I'll tell you how I do sidechaining in FL.

1. Put a fruity peak controller on your kick mixer channel in the last insert slot. Make sure to uncheck the mute option in the lower right.

2. Put a fruity balance on the mixer channel you want to sidechain. You could route everything into one sidechain channel before going into the master, or you can do this on each individual channel with different settings.

3. Right click the volume knob in fruity balance and select "link to controller". In the window that pops up, go to internal controllers and select the "peak ctrl (insert "the name of your kick channel")-peak". If you're doing this on multiple channels from the same fruity peak controller, make sure to uncheck the "remove conflicts" option.

4. Go to the formula bar below (this will not work if you do not do this) and type ".8-input". This tells the fruity balance knob that it starts at 80% (it's default value when you load it up) and will go down whenever the peak controller on your kick channel has a sound going into it. That's sidechaining.

5. But we're not done yet! Now, click apply and the window should close so we can see what it sounds like. If you don't like the effect, we can go back and tune it. By modifying the forumla or enabling smoothing at the bottom of the window. Settings I usually like:

Smoothing set at 30-60 ms

Formula = .8-x*input

Where X is the downward slope of the line. This is the biggest factor of how your sidechain is going to sound because you can raise or lower the control level of your kick without changing the actual volume. To get a harder sidechain, use values greater than one. For softer, use decimal values less than one. For this track, I'd guess softer will be better.

------------------
Old 21-12-2017, 12:46 PM   #5
Kyrpto
Sample Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Noise View Post
This is an improvement. I could not hear your melody at all before and now I can. I'd say turn it up a bit more (maybe as little as half a db would do) to make it pop.

I see one of your daws is FL studio, so I'll tell you how I do sidechaining in FL.

1. Put a fruity peak controller on your kick mixer channel in the last insert slot. Make sure to uncheck the mute option in the lower right.

2. Put a fruity balance on the mixer channel you want to sidechain. You could route everything into one sidechain channel before going into the master, or you can do this on each individual channel with different settings.

3. Right click the volume knob in fruity balance and select "link to controller". In the window that pops up, go to internal controllers and select the "peak ctrl (insert "the name of your kick channel")-peak". If you're doing this on multiple channels from the same fruity peak controller, make sure to uncheck the "remove conflicts" option.

4. Go to the formula bar below (this will not work if you do not do this) and type ".8-input". This tells the fruity balance knob that it starts at 80% (it's default value when you load it up) and will go down whenever the peak controller on your kick channel has a sound going into it. That's sidechaining.

5. But we're not done yet! Now, click apply and the window should close so we can see what it sounds like. If you don't like the effect, we can go back and tune it. By modifying the forumla or enabling smoothing at the bottom of the window. Settings I usually like:

Smoothing set at 30-60 ms

Formula = .8-x*input

Where X is the downward slope of the line. This is the biggest factor of how your sidechain is going to sound because you can raise or lower the control level of your kick without changing the actual volume. To get a harder sidechain, use values greater than one. For softer, use decimal values less than one. For this track, I'd guess softer will be better.
This song was made in Ableton but I will try to extrapolate that information from FL Studio.

Thanks!

------------------
Old 21-12-2017, 05:06 PM   #6
helrakiss
IDMf's latest spammer
helrakiss will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

I like the concept a lot, this is the kind of house music I enjoy the most.
Why not trying to add some sidechain to percussions to have some more pumpy/dynamic sound on them?
Harmony and melodies are very engaging!
Great Job!
helrakiss is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2017, 12:47 AM   #7
Kyrpto
Sample Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by helrakiss View Post
I like the concept a lot, this is the kind of house music I enjoy the most.
Why not trying to add some sidechain to percussions to have some more pumpy/dynamic sound on them?
Harmony and melodies are very engaging!
Great Job!
Thanks for your positive feedback! I will definitely experiment with sidechaining various instruments.

------------------
Old 25-12-2017, 07:08 AM   #8
White Noise
IDMf Artist
California

FWIW, I think sidechaining in ableton should be a lot easier than FL. My FL method is largely a workaround for all the stuff FL doesn't do that live DOES do with a few knobs and context menus. Look into some youtube tutorials for it and I think you'll see what I mean.

------------------
Old 25-12-2017, 08:53 AM   #9
wipeout
Soundscaper
wipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MC
San Francisco, CA
MC Status: 2023747

Nice work! I really like the bass and how full it sounds. I think the snare could punch through a bit more and your snares/hats could use a bit more brightness. Maybe a bit of higher end EQ?

------------------
wipeout is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 07:17 AM   #10
JKillz
Microknight
JKillz will become famous soon enoughJKillz will become famous soon enough
USA
MC Status: 110

Wow, this track has a ton of character, almost telling a story which is pretty unique these days. Definitely has several things going right.

My only feedback (as a listener, no pro here) is that the high end actually seems a little crowded and I suspect it is the panning pad, but I could be way off. The only other concern there is altering that can change the dynamic you have as well.

Other than that (I was really reaching for something lol), you have a great piece of music, thanks for sharing.
JKillz is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 06:08 PM   #11
leegendmusic
Regular Freak
leegendmusic has a spectacular aura aboutleegendmusic has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

love the melody of that piano at 2:24 really nice track, wonder how would it sound with vocals cause I do music like this and when adding vocals to me it really ruins the instrumentals.. have you tried placing any on it?

Advertisements

leegendmusic is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote