Any well known producers that dont know how to mix and master? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

House / Dubstep Discussion of music similar to Deep Dish, Kaskade, Burial, Rusko, Deadmau5.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:29 PM   #41
Duchamp
Master of the LFO
Duchamp is a splendid one to beholdDuchamp is a splendid one to beholdDuchamp is a splendid one to beholdDuchamp is a splendid one to beholdDuchamp is a splendid one to beholdDuchamp is a splendid one to behold
Middlesbrough
MC Status: 660
Re: Any well known producers that dont know how to mix and master?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coins View Post
Now I love mixing as much as I love producing
Yeah you're weird! [joking]

Yeah the new day approach is right, split personality effectively. Tonight Matthew, I'm gonna be Underworld [original title of Beaucoup Fish] I've never been able to manage it though. It's like a forward player in any sport being a defender or goalkeeper. They generally don't do it and stick to what they are good at - not that I'm saying I'm actually good at anything

I've just had a bit of feedback on a track and I've improved it massively, but there's something that I just can't get right. Link below.

Advertisements

Duchamp is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:02 PM   #42
Coins
Microknight
Coins is a name known to allCoins is a name known to allCoins is a name known to allCoins is a name known to allCoins is a name known to allCoins is a name known to all
Toronto
MC Status: 610

I think it sounds pretty good! If it were mine, and this is a personal preference, I'd be kick side-chaining the pads and ethereal stuff to death.
You should post this in the listening booth and see what people say.
Coins is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Coins
Duchamp (11-03-2013)
Old 11-03-2013, 09:40 PM   #43
Duchamp
Master of the LFO
Duchamp is a splendid one to beholdDuchamp is a splendid one to beholdDuchamp is a splendid one to beholdDuchamp is a splendid one to beholdDuchamp is a splendid one to beholdDuchamp is a splendid one to behold
Middlesbrough

Thanks for your opinion. I'll have a look at that and see what it does. I'm not a big fan of sidechaining - it always sounds wrong sonically somehow.

Apparently you have to post 35 times before you can put into the listening booth.... nearly there...
Old 12-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #44
CallAndResponse
Soundscaper
CallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 4210

Avicii still has a professional sound engineer holding his hand when he produces. Not saying there is anything wrong with that since that is what engineers are for but what an advantage.
CallAndResponse is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 11:07 PM   #45
Tynamox
Regular Freak
Tynamox is currently spamming hard
Stockholm
MC Status: 10

It doesn't hurt to contact somebody that has more knowledge on the subject. Tough I'd rather learn it better myself tough.
Tynamox is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #46
Phat Mastering
Regular Freak
Phat Mastering is currently spamming hard
London
MC Status: 10

I actually believe that trying to master your own mix is not ideal. While I agree that mixing is more personal and should be done in house (not to say that a mixing engineer will not do a good job), an external pair of ears could really benefit your final mix when it comes to mastering.

For one, your ears become accustomed to certain things in the mix and you will not realize the potential for improvement in some areas. Having an experienced engineer analyze your final mix will expose these opportunities.

It is like proof reading a book, there are only so many erros an author could reveal. Having someone else proof read your book will really make it foul proof.

Another reason is that Mastering itself is a task that requires a lot of time and patience to be done well. This would take up more of ones precious time which could be better spent producing and finishing more tunes.
Phat Mastering is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 05:48 PM   #47
NocturneEDM
Microknight
NocturneEDM is a splendid one to beholdNocturneEDM is a splendid one to beholdNocturneEDM is a splendid one to beholdNocturneEDM is a splendid one to beholdNocturneEDM is a splendid one to beholdNocturneEDM is a splendid one to beholdNocturneEDM is a splendid one to behold
London
MC Status: 710

Avicii - I recently saw an interview with him, think it was future music in the studio....where he goes through the process of putting a track together.

Apart from only using presets, he goes on to talk about how he doesn't even understand how compression works so just leaves it alone. I cant imagine he is mastering his own tracks....

------------------
NocturneEDM is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 05:52 PM   #48
Duchamp
Master of the LFO
Middlesbrough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NocturneEDM View Post
Avicii - I recently saw an interview with him, think it was future music in the studio....where he goes through the process of putting a track together.

Apart from only using presets, he goes on to talk about how he doesn't even understand how compression works so just leaves it alone. I cant imagine he is mastering his own tracks....
How the hell does he get his tracks sidechaining then? Is he using presets for that as well?
Old 21-05-2013, 06:08 PM   #49
NocturneEDM
Microknight
NocturneEDM is a splendid one to beholdNocturneEDM is a splendid one to beholdNocturneEDM is a splendid one to beholdNocturneEDM is a splendid one to beholdNocturneEDM is a splendid one to beholdNocturneEDM is a splendid one to beholdNocturneEDM is a splendid one to behold
London
MC Status: 710

Sorry I should have been more specific, I meant dynamic range compression in relation to drum hits, synths and overall mastering.

Side chain compression is a different ball game in fl studio (which avicii uses) where you use slightly different tools to how you would in programs like logic (at least to my knowledge). You don't need to understand how dynamic range compression works at all in order to side chain in there.

I don't like bad mouthing anyone and Avicii is good at what he does, but I was pretty surprised at how basic his production knowledge seemed to be..

Advertisements

------------------
NocturneEDM is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote