Strange scales and tunings, how? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 15-01-2017, 01:38 AM   #21
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 109400
Thanked 2,162 Times in 1,403 Posts
Re: Strange scales and tunings, how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treyt0r View Post
^ The timbre of this really reminds me of MIDIs. Maybe there is microtonal dissonance in the oscillation of midis? someone correct me please I feel like I'm talking out of my ass.
MIDI is just instructions - it has no sound. Maybe it's the very simple synth sounds the song uses which are a result of the composer likely having to program them manually since most instruments aren't able to easily play microtonal scales.

Advertisements

Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 10:58 PM   #22
jamison
Regular Freak
jamison will become famous soon enough
Austin, Texas
MC Status: 60

not sure what DAW you use, but in Ableton there is a scale plugin where it changes every note you play to the nearest note in the specified scale. While this sorta takes the fun out of it in my opinion, it is a good way to get to know a very large variety of scales and what they sound like. It has all sorts of bizarre ones that I have never even heard of.

If you like you can also detune notes by 50 cents (half a semitone) to give something a microtonal feel to it. Many eastern instruments are tuned this way and it certainly sounds very untraditional to most Western ears.

Plain old dissonance works wonders as well .. get familiar with intervals and play around with m2, M2, tri-tones, m7 and M7 ones.
jamison is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:09 PM   #23
LDKitz
Analog Lurker
LDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 860

If u rly wanna learn something u have to study some theory , my best suggestion is to buy an instrument ( if u dont have one ) , like a synth or a guitar and study scales and chords that way.
I've been playing guitar for 7 years and i can tell u that in the creative process , knowing theory is rly helpful and makes things easier and quicker.
U know how many fking trap beats i've heard on youtube with the bass out of tune? .. and im talking about someone who's been producing for 5 plus years..
And the worst thing is this ..The people dont even realize when an instrument is out of tune.. just so u know what most of these new kids understand about music.
So .. Theory knowledge is rly important , if u dont wanna go into the advance stuff , just learn the basics and u are good.

Peace.
LDKitz is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 07:51 AM   #24
Kollectiv Vizio
IDMf's latest spammer
Kollectiv Vizio is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by D42K732202 View Post
is dissonance really dissonance or just byproduct of social conditioning ?
Dissonance is the only part of music that creates harmony. A dominant chord is "dissonant" because it wants to resolve. If you continue to not resolve your chords, you further the dissonance. This allows for an extended period of time of dissonance leading to a more satisfactory harmonic conclusion.

Hope this helps. if you have a chance to listen to my group's EP please do! Type in Kollektiv Vizion on sound cloud :problemofficer:
Kollectiv Vizio is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 07:54 AM   #25
Kollectiv Vizio
IDMf's latest spammer
Kollectiv Vizio is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDKitz View Post
If u rly wanna learn something u have to study some theory , my best suggestion is to buy an instrument ( if u dont have one ) , like a synth or a guitar and study scales and chords that way.
I've been playing guitar for 7 years and i can tell u that in the creative process , knowing theory is rly helpful and makes things easier and quicker.
U know how many fking trap beats i've heard on youtube with the bass out of tune? .. and im talking about someone who's been producing for 5 plus years..
And the worst thing is this ..The people dont even realize when an instrument is out of tune.. just so u know what most of these new kids understand about music.
So .. Theory knowledge is rly important , if u dont wanna go into the advance stuff , just learn the basics and u are good.

Peace.
I V7/V iii IV V7 vi viio I

Tonic, Secondary Dominant, minor 3rd ( love that chord), Predominant, Dominant, relative minor, 7 diminished, Tonic

If you can understand that, you can build music. There's sooo many ways to change keys.

I've been playing piano since I was 6 and can play saxophone, flute, guitar, harp, and dabble in producing.

soundcloud profile is Kollektiv Vizion

Advertisements

Kollectiv Vizio is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote