Soft Synth Alternate Tunings
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #1
Wilbo
Learning The Ropes
Wilbo is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Soft Synth Alternate Tunings

Hi all, this is my first post here.
I'm looking for some sort of soft synth which will allow me to directly manipulate the characteristics of waves and create new sounds. I also want to be able to create electronic music which uses alternative musical tuning (just intonation and stuff) and switches between tunings. Is there anyway I could do this? I know this pretty vague but can you help me out?
Suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Wilbo

Advertisements

Wilbo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #2
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7237579
Re: Soft Synth Alternate Tunings

Absynth can do that. Probably some others. I made a list for someone ages ago, but I can't remember what was on it.

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:58 PM   #3
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390048
Thanked 2,832 Times in 1,764 Posts

Oatmeal (free) VSTi have micro-tuning abilities.
I have some machines that can micro-tune synths in Buzz, but I wouldn't wanna go there if I were you.

edit: Oh, forgot about Madrona Labs Aalto.

Last edited by Evelon; 02-02-2013 at 11:49 PM..

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:56 PM   #4
redeyeglasses
Ghostly
redeyeglasses is a savage MCredeyeglasses is a savage MCredeyeglasses is a savage MCredeyeglasses is a savage MCredeyeglasses is a savage MCredeyeglasses is a savage MCredeyeglasses is a savage MCredeyeglasses is a savage MCredeyeglasses is a savage MCredeyeglasses is a savage MCredeyeglasses is a savage MC
Iowa
MC Status: 12331

One time I used pitch bend or a pitch shifting plugin or something (I can't remember) and sampled the synth note by note to make a shitty 8-tet synth. It was a pain in the ass, but I bet if you did it with a few simple waveforms you could filter them or whatever to make all the instruments you need

------------------
i am nothing more or less than my own big ass
redeyeglasses is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #5
Barry Acid
Eternal Echoer
Barry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MC
Dublin
MC Status: 77072

What you're talking about is a synthesizer...most of them have the features your on about. Some have buttons that will allow you to select the tuning range of the octave. 4", 8" or 16"

Conventional subtractive systems often give the same waveforms plus or minus others. Some also have wave shapers which allow a user to modify their existing waveforms to create totally new and unusual ones. Depending on a few factors of the synth in terms of what's accessible to modify the sound and how well the person knows and understands the synthesis being used you can create some cool new sounds.

------------------
Try only to surpass your own previous accomplishments instead of beating others
Barry Acid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:59 PM   #6
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390048
Thanked 2,832 Times in 1,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Acid View Post
What you're talking about is a synthesizer...most of them have the features your on about. Some have buttons that will allow you to select the tuning range of the octave. 4", 8" or 16"

Conventional subtractive systems often give the same waveforms plus or minus others. Some also have wave shapers which allow a user to modify their existing waveforms to create totally new and unusual ones. Depending on a few factors of the synth in terms of what's accessible to modify the sound and how well the person knows and understands the synthesis being used you can create some cool new sounds.
Uhm. He is talking about [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
. Like using [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
tunings and such.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Evelon
Barry Acid (02-02-2013)
Old 02-02-2013, 09:04 PM   #7
Barry Acid
Eternal Echoer
Barry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MC
Dublin
MC Status: 77072

Thanks.

OP, ignore my post.

------------------
Try only to surpass your own previous accomplishments instead of beating others
Barry Acid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:30 PM   #8
lebeux
IDMf Artist
lebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MC
Madrid
MC Status: 59128426

Not sure what you mean by "directly manipulate the characteristics of waves". All synthesizers do that.

As for microtonal synths, there's quite a few. I'm gonna go on a limb and assume you want a microtonal additive synth, and suggest camel audio alchemy or virsyn cube
lebeux is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:56 AM   #9
Wilbo
Learning The Ropes
Wilbo is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your input.
I'm sorry if I'm being a bit vague, to be honest I don't really know what I'm looking for myself. I looked up the synths you've suggested so far and they all look great.

Advertisements

Wilbo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote