[Lo-Fi House] Dokan - usual screen person
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 14-02-2018, 07:49 PM   #1
NakedOperator
Minor Glitch
NakedOperator is a name known to allNakedOperator is a name known to allNakedOperator is a name known to allNakedOperator is a name known to allNakedOperator is a name known to allNakedOperator is a name known to all
Hamburg
MC Status: 560
[Lo-Fi House] Dokan - usual screen person

Believe me or not, even while i hang a lot on the internet to read and learn about and listening to various kinds of electronic music, i missed the lofi house thing >hype< completely, until a week or so..., didn`t heard "Talk To Me, You'll Understand" until a few days ago.

Maybe because most of the time i steer clear of most house music... although i like some old and/or acid house stuff and some few modern deep and techhouse stuff.

However... in the "lofi house" niche i found a lot of tracks i instantly liked.
There is also a cool little youtube tutorial about lofi house by Julien Earle. I used some of the sounds he gave away with his template.

I think most lofi house tracks are using longer sampled phrases as a foundation... like piano chord progressions or something... in this case i did not do that. (although i found some nice samples for maybe future lofi house tracks).

What i did, i made a new diva patch and wrote a 8 bar chord progression as the foundation of the track.
So, maybe my track is not really archetypically 100% lofi house... whatever.

(to be honest, i think genres are nice to have as orientation... but in the end it does not really matter if anything really fits a genre or not... only if you like a track or not counts )

So, it is nice if you like the track, but mostly i`m interested in the things i can improve... things you don`t like...

and of course it is interesting to speak about the genre as well, but i`m not really interested in the question how to fit the genre... i just want to make̶ ̶̶g̶̶o̶̶o̶̶d̶ better music.

Last edited by NakedOperator; 14-02-2018 at 10:04 PM.. Reason: finally i understood how soundclown works

Advertisements

NakedOperator is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [Lo-Fi House] Dokan - usual screen person.
Old 15-02-2018, 10:10 AM   #2
PPNDP
Analog Lurker
PPNDP is just really nicePPNDP is just really nicePPNDP is just really nicePPNDP is just really nicePPNDP is just really nice
MC Status: 410
Re: [Lo-Fi House] Dokan - usual screen person

Love it. Big potential for being released. I think it has a vibe of underground house defo! Good choice of synths and background sound - very crunchy and gives this lo-fi atmosphere. I also think that the vocal samples are processed perfectly. I really think that it sounds like underground stuff I like

Maybe you could work on the placing of vocal samples and structure - they seem to be a bit chaotic momentarily, and some definitive drop?

Also maybe some longer beaks?

I don't really have any objections to the sound. Just maybe beat and structure. Add some variation in kick pattern? (this pam pam pampampam pam pam pattern . Give it more swing? When I listen to house tracks like that there is so perfect swing ( like here: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
)

And welcome in da club , I had the same with house couple of months ago! It was big discovery for me that music with the 4/4 beat can be interesting You need to totally check the channel on YT/SounCloud: Houseum & ooukfunkyoo and Lobster Theremin label for this kind of sound.

And I used Julien's tutorial too for my first lo-fi track. The guy is a genius. Have you heard his IDM stuff? He made them when he was 17.

Last edited by PPNDP; 15-02-2018 at 10:23 AM..
PPNDP is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 12:47 AM   #3
NakedOperator
Minor Glitch
NakedOperator is a name known to allNakedOperator is a name known to allNakedOperator is a name known to allNakedOperator is a name known to allNakedOperator is a name known to allNakedOperator is a name known to all
Hamburg

really glad you like it
yeah... the drop thing, the plan was that at 1:34 the "big" drop happens... but the problem is, that apart from the claps and rides not enough new elements are coming i guess... so the "drop" at 1:34 sounds too similar to to intro around ~1:00 ...

ok, interesting that you did not enjoy the placement of the vocal cuts... that is the least thing i`m personally not the happy yet... but i will think about it.

do you mean the vocal samples are to chaotic or the general structure, because general structure is i guess more a bit too boring than chaotic.

To be honest, i used 100% the structure of this one lofi house tutorial by Julien... by the way, where can i find his idm stuff? soundcloud?

Yeah, i did listen to house from time to time before, and for example enjoying acid house very much... but lofi house is new for me.

Yes, i should try more pam pam pampampam pam pam your are right ...

and for swing... speaking about adding swing in ableton from groove pool... i forgot about that, to be honest, this time...

Thanks for the motivating comments... as i said at sc before... i think i will try to make this kind of a single, with at least 2 more versions...

Last edited by NakedOperator; 16-02-2018 at 12:49 AM.. Reason: to many f****** smileys
Old 16-02-2018, 01:36 AM   #4
PPNDP
Analog Lurker
PPNDP is just really nicePPNDP is just really nicePPNDP is just really nicePPNDP is just really nicePPNDP is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedOperator View Post
really glad you like it
yeah... the drop thing, the plan was that at 1:34 the "big" drop happens... but the problem is, that apart from the claps and rides not enough new elements are coming i guess... so the "drop" at 1:34 sounds too similar to to intro around ~1:00 ...

ok, interesting that you did not enjoy the placement of the vocal cuts... that is the least thing i`m personally not the happy yet... but i will think about it.

do you mean the vocal samples are to chaotic or the general structure, because general structure is i guess more a bit too boring than chaotic.

To be honest, i used 100% the structure of this one lofi house tutorial by Julien... by the way, where can i find his idm stuff? soundcloud?

Yeah, i did listen to house from time to time before, and for example enjoying acid house very much... but lofi house is new for me.

Yes, i should try more pam pam pampampam pam pam your are right ...

and for swing... speaking about adding swing in ableton from groove pool... i forgot about that, to be honest, this time...

Thanks for the motivating comments... as i said at sc before... i think i will try to make this kind of a single, with at least 2 more versions...
After I gave it another listen I think you can add some other instruments in the last drop (trumpet if it will not sound too cheesy). I think my problem with samples is that they are a bit short and I would like them a bit longer in the second drop for example and more varied. And the sound of samples is good -create warm atmosphere - keep it. Also maybe the motif would need some variation. And some rides or cowbells are doing the job in the making the noticeable drop (As in Julien's video but it is sometimes too obvious). I think you could sample some african live toms solo in the same pitch in the break it would sound good for me as you have shy toms it the background and it would fit imo.

And when I talked about swing, I have never used the swing option in Ableton, it is not such a game changer as I watched on tutorials. I was more thinking about placing the elements of the beat on more surprising positions. When I listen to house, I like being suprised from time to time by the beat. I am talking about this human touch and moving the notes a bit.

Yes, it's on Julien SoundCloud. I don't think it is idm. And no idea what 17yo are capable of. But when I was 17 I played in a mud with other kids lol .

Sent from my BUSH SPIRA D3 5 using Tapatalk
Old 16-02-2018, 09:38 AM   #5
pkreegi
Soundwave Mangler
pkreegi is a glorious beacon of lightpkreegi is a glorious beacon of lightpkreegi is a glorious beacon of lightpkreegi is a glorious beacon of lightpkreegi is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPNDP View Post
But when I was 17 I played in a mud with other kids lol .
When I was 15 I discovered that everyone had been like smoking and drinking alcohol since 13 or even 12 years old, whereas I was still playing in sandbox lol.

Anyways, your track is absolutely fantastic. Nice to listen to and well mixed. I hope the next one's will be as good, when you don't copy Julia's work anymore
pkreegi is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 04:09 PM   #6
NakedOperator
Minor Glitch
Hamburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkreegi View Post
When I was 15 I discovered that everyone had been like smoking and drinking alcohol since 13 or even 12 years old, whereas I was still playing in sandbox lol.

Anyways, your track is absolutely fantastic. Nice to listen to and well mixed. I hope the next one's will be as good, when you don't copy Julia's work anymore
Thank you, yeah... really appreciate your feedback.

...and cool kind of anecdote with the sand toys and alcohol, guess, looking back, you can call yourself happy that you did not start smoking and drinking with 13 years

Mhmm, speaking about copying Julians work... i don`t really feel that i did this... apart from that it was a ableton template file he gave as a download for people to make tracks with it.

Actually i did not even started the track with a old school sample like he did, but made a new synth patch and wrote a chord progression...
you can say anything about the track, it is far from being perfect... but not that i copied him

Well, of course you can say that...

The structure is so standard:

Intro 1 (16 bars) / Intro 2 (16 bars) / Breakdown & Build (16 bars) Drop (32 Bars) / Breakdown & Build (16 bars) / Drop2 (32 Bars) / Outro (16 Bars) ... he did not invent it.

Actually i know what you mean, but the structure of his track... i guess millions of house tracks where using the same...

Maybe i`m guilty using the cymbal sound sample and a bit from the pattern

Julien Earle: "HOW TO MAKE LO-FI HOUSE LIKE MALL GRAB, DJ SEINFELD, ROSS FROM FRIENDS, AND DJ BORING (FREE SAMPLES)"
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Last edited by NakedOperator; 16-02-2018 at 04:15 PM..
Old 16-02-2018, 04:22 PM   #7
PPNDP
Analog Lurker

Quote:
Thank you, yeah... really appreciate your feedback.

...and cool kind of anecdote with the sand toys and alcohol, guess, looking back, you can call yourself happy that you did not start smoking and drinking with 13 years

Mhmm, speaking about copying Julians work... i don`t really feel that i did this... apart from that it was a ableton template file he gave as a download for people to make tracks with it.

Actually i did not even started the track with a old school sample like he did, but made a new synth patch and wrote a chord progression...
you can say anything about the track, it is far from being perfect... but not that i copied him

Well, of course you can say that...

The structure is so standard:

Intro 1 (16 bars) / Intro 2 (16 bars) / Breakdown & Build (16 bars) Drop (32 Bars) / Breakdown & Build (16 bars) / Drop2 (32 Bars) / Outro (16 Bars) ... he did not invent it.

Actually i know what you mean, but the structure of his track... i guess millions of house tracks where using the same...

Maybe i`m guilty using the cymbal sound sample and a bit from the pattern

Julien Earle: "HOW TO MAKE LO-FI HOUSE LIKE MALL GRAB, DJ SEINFELD, ROSS FROM FRIENDS, AND DJ BORING (FREE SAMPLES)"
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
So, mine is in the same degree a copy. Like all the house tracks. That is the characteristics of the genre. You need to stick to the scheme but it gives you a lot of place to experiments too. Especially lo-fi - so many possibilties, you can use distortion on the kick, reverb and filters on all percussive instruments. You can use samples from movies, advertisements, old disco. And recycling all awesome things from the past. This is amazing...

Old 16-02-2018, 04:25 PM   #8
NakedOperator
Minor Glitch
Hamburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPNDP View Post
Also maybe the motif would need some variation. And some rides or cowbells are doing the job in the making the noticeable drop (As in Julien's video.
i started to work a bit on a new version, thanks for all of your ideas... there are rides (but it seems they are not noticeable enough)

Last edited by NakedOperator; 16-02-2018 at 04:27 PM.. Reason: i need to learn english
Old 16-02-2018, 04:37 PM   #9
PPNDP
Analog Lurker

Quote:
i started to work a bit on a new version, thanks for all of your ideas... there are rides (but it seems they are not noticeable enough)

Yes, I hear them, I have this personal preference to have them loud, and cowbells too. But many people dislike it.

Old 19-02-2018, 11:14 PM   #10
tvmcc
Sample Destroyer
tvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MC
MC Status: 2522504

I don't care for how I can't tell what the focus of the song is. When we listen to a song we hear a key order of importance in a song. Consider setting up a list of what are the important tracks/instruments/samples and mix the song/create the song around them.

I also do not care for the lack of respect the given to the detail of the drums. They don't seem to get to drive the song. Their pretty far in the background =(

The main melody, and instrument is so prominent that the rest of the song just sounds muffled behind it's dynamics. As if it is meant to dominate all frequencies.

Everything seemed in the center of the mix, not a fan.

I do like the concept, sample choices, melody, and general upbeat vibe! As I fail to get the happy stuff right!
Some of it reminded me of dj/producers like terminator x, or early frankie knuckles, and trax.

While Lo-Fi means poor quality, this just seems like you've just threw everything at the track with energy and pure adrenaline to try the style out and now got a bit lost! I hate those moments! Step back, check out your tracks, reevaluate what can sound crystal clear as a instrument and what should have the muffled/poor quality/No-Fi/Bedroom Eq/Bathroom Eq/Phone Eq, What's going to go mid side, and whats going to be set to the side of the stereo field, and this will be a banger!

Hell i do not like house much as well, but if i hear a solid tune best believe this old geez will stomp his feet!

Thanks or sharing!
tvmcc is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:54 PM   #11
NakedOperator
Minor Glitch
Hamburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmcc View Post
I don't care for how I can't tell what the focus of the song is. When we listen to a song we hear a key order of importance in a song. Consider setting up a list of what are the important tracks/instruments/samples and mix the song/create the song around them.

I also do not care for the lack of respect the given to the detail of the drums. They don't seem to get to drive the song. Their pretty far in the background =(

The main melody, and instrument is so prominent that the rest of the song just sounds muffled behind it's dynamics. As if it is meant to dominate all frequencies.

Everything seemed in the center of the mix, not a fan.

I do like the concept, sample choices, melody, and general upbeat vibe! As I fail to get the happy stuff right!
Some of it reminded me of dj/producers like terminator x, or early frankie knuckles, and trax.

While Lo-Fi means poor quality, this just seems like you've just threw everything at the track with energy and pure adrenaline to try the style out and now got a bit lost! I hate those moments! Step back, check out your tracks, reevaluate what can sound crystal clear as a instrument and what should have the muffled/poor quality/No-Fi/Bedroom Eq/Bathroom Eq/Phone Eq, What's going to go mid side, and whats going to be set to the side of the stereo field, and this will be a banger!

Hell i do not like house much as well, but if i hear a solid tune best believe this old geez will stomp his feet!

Thanks or sharing!
some very useful advice here, ... dominance of main melody is obviously and should be not like this... drums could be more present and maybe more groovy ... yeah, i did not take enough (if any) care about the stereo thing... and yes,taking a step back and thinking what should go lofi and what highfi should be also a good plan...

Thank you! (and glad that you liked the track a bit nevertheless
Old Yesterday, 08:54 PM   #12
Brokarucci
Minor Glitch
Brokarucci is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

nice job! I was literally dancing in the room, while listening to this track.

Advertisements

Brokarucci is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote