[Dance] Mothsound - Mudderdog
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 15-01-2018, 02:24 PM   #1
MothSound
Radial Developer
MothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud of
Oxford
MC Status: 1210
[Dance] Mothsound - Mudderdog

Would like your feedback on this one guys.

Particularly on how you would improve the mix if it was your song.

Thanks

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Last edited by A.M; 15-01-2018 at 07:44 PM.. Reason: Fixed Player and Title

Advertisements

------------------
He lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived
MothSound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [Dance] Mothsound - Mudderdog.
Old 15-01-2018, 06:03 PM   #2
Inna Selez
Radial Developer
Inna Selez is a glorious beacon of lightInna Selez is a glorious beacon of lightInna Selez is a glorious beacon of lightInna Selez is a glorious beacon of lightInna Selez is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 460
Re: Mothsound - Mudderdog (Dance)

Pretty good stuff, but that pom-pom sound that starts from 0:45 is too loud. Also would be interesting to hear version totally without it.
Inna Selez is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 05:16 PM   #3
Adelina
Soundwave Mangler
Adelina is a name known to allAdelina is a name known to allAdelina is a name known to allAdelina is a name known to allAdelina is a name known to allAdelina is a name known to all
MC Status: 610
Re: [Dance] Mothsound - Mudderdog

I like the moment from 1:20 more! It's an awesome work. I really like that.
Adelina is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2018, 05:29 AM   #4
JKillz
Analog Lurker
JKillz will become famous soon enough
USA
MC Status: 60

Hey, interesting track

So I will start by saying, I mean no offense with the following feedback and I hope it will come in handy. First off, you have some really nice ideas in here and I am sure after listening to it several times, your ears start play tricks on you. There are several elements that seem to be fighting for space and it does make it challenging when mixing. What should be the focus? What if I want two elements to shine?

My recommendation is to try the following. If you find it doesn't help, then at least you tried.

Start with looping the busiest part with most/all the instruments.
Turn the volumes down on everything.
Set the main volume with usually the kick or snare, something to base everything else off of. (This is where reference material can come in handy)
Once you establish the benchmark, bring each element in based on importance (or based on freq range) and match it up that way.

Sorry, maybe I got carried away, but I am sharing this cause it made a huge difference for me in my tracks and I like what you have going on and would love to hear a cleaner mix of it
JKillz is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2018, 07:57 AM   #5
MothSound
Radial Developer
MothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud of
Oxford
MC Status: 1210

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKillz View Post
Hey, interesting track

So I will start by saying, I mean no offense with the following feedback and I hope it will come in handy. First off, you have some really nice ideas in here and I am sure after listening to it several times, your ears start play tricks on you. There are several elements that seem to be fighting for space and it does make it challenging when mixing. What should be the focus? What if I want two elements to shine?

My recommendation is to try the following. If you find it doesn't help, then at least you tried.

Start with looping the busiest part with most/all the instruments.
Turn the volumes down on everything.
Set the main volume with usually the kick or snare, something to base everything else off of. (This is where reference material can come in handy)
Once you establish the benchmark, bring each element in based on importance (or based on freq range) and match it up that way.

Sorry, maybe I got carried away, but I am sharing this cause it made a huge difference for me in my tracks and I like what you have going on and would love to hear a cleaner mix of it

Thanks for the feedback my friend. Excellent advice, but advice I've heard before. This is basically my currently mixing process.

I struggle with mixing. A lot. Any pointers on exactly which are the problem sounds in the song that need to be fixed? Which sounds are fighting for space? My ear isn't particularly well developed.

I will try to provide a nice clean mix for you someday

------------------
He lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived
MothSound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2018, 02:19 AM   #6
JKillz
Analog Lurker
JKillz will become famous soon enough
USA
MC Status: 60

I can't necessarily tell you which is what without being inside the project cause I am no expert lol.

One trick worth trying is playing one instrument, then adding another and listen if there is any impacts on the original sound.

Also, low end is generally a trouble area, so anything that is not meant to have bass, you can eq out the low end, maybe around 200 and under. This all comes with trial and error. Also, the instruments that are bass need to not compete, so that is a very tough part of the process imo.

With time, it all gets easier though, so cleaner mixes are inevitable
JKillz is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2018, 04:53 AM   #7
strangerflesh
Knob Twiddler
strangerflesh is a jewel in the roughstrangerflesh is a jewel in the roughstrangerflesh is a jewel in the roughstrangerflesh is a jewel in the rough
Winnipeg
MC Status: 310

Jkillz had some good info! I like the track and with a wee bit of mixing it could really shine. Start with the kick could use a little transient shaping (lots of free transient shapers if you dont have one) , compression , and my an eq bump at its hardest hitting low frequency and bring out some highs to give it more click. or layer a clickier kik drum underneath. then do the same thing with the snare. Check out the hats, they may have too much low frequency content that you can carve away and then ad a little more hi end to counter. Next grab the bass, could be nice with a little tape saturation, solo the Chanel againts the kik drum and carve a out a little where the kik hits hardest. Really this track just needs some more EQuing and some level adjustments

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

thats a decent video on the subject

good luck

------------------
strangerflesh is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 12:20 AM   #8
dj200
IDMf's latest spammer
dj200 is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Mate. Not bad work.

But two issues there.

1. How I already read mixing is not your best skill. Since that just look at some how-to vids at youtube. For the begging its enough to get into the theory and what matters.

2. For my taste in that sound i miss some really impulsive drums. Especially the snare is not doing its job. But yeah for my taste.

I guess if you fix that two points you getting an appropriate banger!
dj200 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:50 PM   #9
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8552380
Thanked 7,229 Times in 5,118 Posts
Re: Mothsound - Mudderdog (Dance)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inna Selez View Post
Pretty good stuff, but that pom-pom sound that starts from 0:45 is too loud. Also would be interesting to hear version totally without it.
This.

I like everything else about it. But that resonant bass/lead sound is too loud for me. Feels a bit wonky to me as well? I get what you are trying to do with it, give the track a bit of a harder edge while still having those ethereal, chill sounds going on--and I dig that. I'd work with this lead. I think part of the issue for me is the melodic phrase (dunno if that is the correct term) is maybe too simple. It basically hammers just a single note continually yes?

I'm only listening on headphones, so I won't comment further on the mix. But I dig the track man.

Advertisements

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote