FL Studio Tip & Tricks - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Tutorials Section Found or written an interesting tutorial recently? Share it here.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:12 PM   #41
Beast
Regular Freak
Beast is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Re: FL Studio Tip & Tricks

Nice thread, learned a couple things I hadn't tried before!

Advertisements

Beast is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:06 PM   #42
JohnD
Granular Poster
JohnD has a reputation beyond reputeJohnD has a reputation beyond reputeJohnD has a reputation beyond reputeJohnD has a reputation beyond reputeJohnD has a reputation beyond reputeJohnD has a reputation beyond reputeJohnD has a reputation beyond reputeJohnD has a reputation beyond reputeJohnD has a reputation beyond reputeJohnD has a reputation beyond reputeJohnD has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2505

I almost made FL Studio my main DAW, but then I tried Orion and what I especially liked about it was the possibility to play patterns together in any combination during pattern mode. Very easily too, as each pattern has a solo/mute option. In FLS you have use the playlist to achieve the same thing.

But that was a while ago, and I was just wondering if there has been some improvement in this area in FLS. I did like FLS better than Orion in some ways, and it's not inconceivable that I switch in the future.
JohnD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:05 PM   #43
r3dm0nk3y
Learning The Ropes
r3dm0nk3y is currently spamming hard
Florida

neat stuff, thanks for this thread and info
r3dm0nk3y is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:31 PM   #44
shanew711
Soundwave Mangler
shanew711 is a savage MCshanew711 is a savage MCshanew711 is a savage MCshanew711 is a savage MCshanew711 is a savage MCshanew711 is a savage MCshanew711 is a savage MCshanew711 is a savage MCshanew711 is a savage MCshanew711 is a savage MCshanew711 is a savage MC
MC Status: 36559

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
I almost made FL Studio my main DAW, but then I tried Orion and what I especially liked about it was the possibility to play patterns together in any combination during pattern mode. Very easily too, as each pattern has a solo/mute option. In FLS you have use the playlist to achieve the same thing.

But that was a while ago, and I was just wondering if there has been some improvement in this area in FLS. I did like FLS better than Orion in some ways, and it's not inconceivable that I switch in the future.
Live mode? I believe this was talked about in this very same thread.

I have a question. I know it's possible to separate patterns that contain midi info for various instruments into different patterns with each instrument, but is it possible to bounce out a pattern into audio but have each instrument made into a separate audio file and then inserted in time into the playlist on separate tracks? I think a feature like this would be phenomenal, especially when dealing with drums.

Last edited by shanew711; 03-08-2010 at 03:37 PM..
shanew711 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:52 AM   #45
napalmbob
MaKiNG PHaT BeaTZ
napalmbob is a savage MCnapalmbob is a savage MCnapalmbob is a savage MCnapalmbob is a savage MCnapalmbob is a savage MCnapalmbob is a savage MCnapalmbob is a savage MCnapalmbob is a savage MCnapalmbob is a savage MCnapalmbob is a savage MCnapalmbob is a savage MC
Geelong/Victoria
MC Status: 1130741

Just thought I would remind everyone about the sheer awesomeness of FL Studio's step-sequencer and its GRAPH EDITOR. You can edit PAN, VELOCITY, RELEASE TIME, MOD X AND MOD Y (for the samplers filter), PITCH and SHIFT. I'm always using PAN to move my hats/claps around in a pattern to give it some space, and it saves having to automate any mixer controls. PITCH is neat when you have a layered sound (like a snare) and you adjust the pitch separately for each step to create some subtle differences between each hit. Oh, and it is independent of the step-sequencers mini piano-roll. My current favourite is the SHIFT tab, where you can delay those clap hits for some funky groove, or fuck with your hihat timing for IDM glitchyness. Its practically a MachineDrum.

Last edited by napalmbob; 08-08-2010 at 06:21 AM..

------------------
"Alot of people these days seem to listen to music through their eyes." - DoctaMario
napalmbob is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:01 AM   #46
JohnD
Granular Poster
JohnD has a reputation beyond reputeJohnD has a reputation beyond reputeJohnD has a reputation beyond reputeJohnD has a reputation beyond reputeJohnD has a reputation beyond reputeJohnD has a reputation beyond reputeJohnD has a reputation beyond reputeJohnD has a reputation beyond reputeJohnD has a reputation beyond reputeJohnD has a reputation beyond reputeJohnD has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanew711 View Post
Live mode? I believe this was talked about in this very same thread.
Still think the Orion way is more convenient, and I also like the fact that the patterns are grouped with the generators, which makes it easier to navigate between patterns, and makes for a more ordered playlist (with a generator on each row rather than a pattern).

However, despite liking Orion's pattern model better I'm considering getting FLS as well, perhaps switching completely. Partly because I keep getting crashes in Orion (although I can't be 100% sure it's Orion's fault.)

So I'm currently in the process of collecting rationalisations as to why I should spend cash I don't have on a product I may not really need.

How's the audio recording capacity of FLS? Orion is (deliberately) lacking in that department. I may want to be able to record song and guitar in the future. Does FLS have any good tips and tricks in that area? (<- Lame attempt to make my post more on topic by wording it topic-ish. But I really am interested in hearing what you have to say about audio recording in FLS.)

Last edited by JohnD; 12-08-2010 at 12:26 PM..
Old 12-08-2010, 01:12 PM   #47
shanew711
Soundwave Mangler
shanew711 is a savage MCshanew711 is a savage MCshanew711 is a savage MCshanew711 is a savage MCshanew711 is a savage MCshanew711 is a savage MCshanew711 is a savage MCshanew711 is a savage MCshanew711 is a savage MCshanew711 is a savage MCshanew711 is a savage MC

Hey guys, came across an awesome thread:

Question about swing in FLStudio I was wondering

Is it possible to use swing on stuff other than the step sequencer?

Say I make a beat by dragging the samples straight onto the playlist - can I swing this somehow?

This wont work on audio clips, but you can use the fruity slicer or SliceX and load the loop into it. Usually it auto-slices the beat and puts the slices into your piano roll.

What you are looking for is called quantization.

You can then open the piano roll, click on the triangle in the top left corner, choose tools > quantize (or just hit alt-q in your piano roll).
there you can open a groove template. Not just swing but also shuffle/amen grooves/hiphop style etc. Then you can tweak the "start time" knob to set the amount of that quantization.

A really neat feature that I love to use:
If I have a drumloop that has a very interesting groove, and I want to apply that groove to any other drumloops, I can save the timing of the hits to a file. Click the triangle in the top left corner of the piano roll, select file > save score as.. , and choose a file to save in.
Then open the quantization menu again (alt-q in the piano roll), and open the file you just saved. You will now be able to get two loops with a different feel timed exactly with each other.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:28 PM   #48
shanew711
Soundwave Mangler

John D: I haven't tried much live audio recording in FL studio, but I know that recording individual instruments one at a time is a breeze with Edison in FL Studio. It lets you record multiple takes into .wav format without having to press anything on your keyboard or mouse in between takes. As for recording multiple instruments at once: It's possible but more unwieldy than recording one at a time. You can arm any mixer channel to record any audio input to a file automatically, but this is a bit more of a nuisance than using edison for one track. You can also use multiple Edisons. I think FL Studio is very good at recording a few audio inputs, but if you plan on recording many inputs (more than 2) frequently FL Studio probably isn't the best choice for a DAW.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:55 PM   #49
JohnD
Granular Poster

Shanew711, thanks. I'm definitely more interested in recording one audio source at the time, so no problem there.
Old 14-08-2010, 12:31 AM   #50
radiowaves
Savage Mad Cunt
radiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MC
MC Status: 24505865

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Akira View Post
I'd like to hear some opinions from other diehard FLS users, and i'm probably going to hear some dissenting opinions, but it's my belief that you don't really NEED any version past 5.
Its an old post, but I kind of agree. Now I have 8, but I remember 5, and functions I use, remain the same. I wonder if newer ones even eat more CPU..

And yes, this is a kickass thread.

------------------
radiowaves is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2010, 09:20 PM   #51
bant123
Soundscaper
bant123 is a savage MCbant123 is a savage MCbant123 is a savage MCbant123 is a savage MCbant123 is a savage MCbant123 is a savage MCbant123 is a savage MCbant123 is a savage MCbant123 is a savage MCbant123 is a savage MCbant123 is a savage MC
Essex
MC Status: 3620357

Some of these are kinda obvious and known by lots of people, but to those who aren't aware it can really improve your workflow.

To start with, you can reorganize your tracks to make things easier; to group instruments etc. To move a track up/down, make sure it's selected then hit ALT + up/down. If you really want, you can also colour-code your tracks, for example, to highlight a group. Right click the track, hit rename and there's a little coloured box which allows you to change the colour of the track. This can also be done with mixer tracks. Also, to move mixer tracks just press ALT + left/right.

Got a couple dozen patterns that are all muddled up in random order? For a start, you can rename patterns by clicking where it says "Pattern [number] *down arrow*" at the top of the Track Pane (or hit F2), then click rename. This also allows you to colour patterns, which will appear on the playlist. To group patterns together, you can use the move up and down buttons which appear just under rename.

Using all these little tricks together you can really organize and structure your projects. I can't emphasize enough how much more streamlined everything is since I started doing this.
bant123 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:58 PM   #52
DiPT
Radial Developer
DiPT is a savage MCDiPT is a savage MCDiPT is a savage MCDiPT is a savage MCDiPT is a savage MCDiPT is a savage MCDiPT is a savage MCDiPT is a savage MCDiPT is a savage MCDiPT is a savage MCDiPT is a savage MC
MC Status: 69378

------------------
DiPT is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 08:35 PM   #53
curdabur
Learning The Ropes
curdabur is currently spamming hard

Thanks man!!! VERY helpful!
curdabur is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:55 AM   #54
lonewolf
lonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MC
London
MC Status: 129804

I love using slicex and edison for loop manipulation.

For example when creating hybrid loops from different loops for example you can chop the loops as u probably already know but what I like is the fact that I can us the inbuilt eq, which is super accurate with different settings on each slice to for example take off the bottom end of a kick in the loop so I can add another kick underneath on another channel. For tidying up breaks its da shizznit. I hope I was clear as you can totally fook a loop or sample up with this.

------------------
An open mind sees the world reflected within them, but a closed mind looks for the world to be their reflection. - Brian Winkler

Dream as if you'll live forever; Live as if you'll die today. - James D
lonewolf is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:55 PM   #55
shanew711
Soundwave Mangler

Yea, I've been using Slicex heavily to craft beats. It labels everything on the piano roll and is a really tidy place to keep a section of drums.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:57 PM   #56
Scunge
Minor Glitch
Scunge is a splendid one to beholdScunge is a splendid one to beholdScunge is a splendid one to beholdScunge is a splendid one to beholdScunge is a splendid one to beholdScunge is a splendid one to beholdScunge is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 897

I was having problems trying to automate Sytrus (it wasn't working with the Last Tweaked Parameters option), but I just came across another method, which seems like it will make everything ridiculously flexible.
Go to your VST of choice, and in the top left click the little down arrow. On the list which drops down, click on the browse parameters option. In the left pane a list opens up of everything at all in the synth, and then you can just right click on these options and create an automation clip. Looking forward to having a proper play around (seems like a useful way to fuck shit up, as I think it's technically known), but I just thought I'd stop by here and share...

------------------

Scunge is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Chris Clark - Empty The Bones Of You
Old 11-09-2010, 05:19 PM   #57
Ummagumma
Soundscaper
Ummagumma is a savage MCUmmagumma is a savage MCUmmagumma is a savage MCUmmagumma is a savage MCUmmagumma is a savage MCUmmagumma is a savage MCUmmagumma is a savage MCUmmagumma is a savage MCUmmagumma is a savage MCUmmagumma is a savage MCUmmagumma is a savage MC
N.Y.
MC Status: 40923

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scunge View Post
I was having problems trying to automate Sytrus (it wasn't working with the Last Tweaked Parameters option), but I just came across another method, which seems like it will make everything ridiculously flexible.
Go to your VST of choice, and in the top left click the little down arrow. On the list which drops down, click on the browse parameters option. In the left pane a list opens up of everything at all in the synth, and then you can just right click on these options and create an automation clip. Looking forward to having a proper play around (seems like a useful way to fuck shit up, as I think it's technically known), but I just thought I'd stop by here and share...
Yeah you can do that with fruityless VSTs also but why didnt you just right click on the knob you wanted to automate and click create automation clip or edit events?

------------------

Ummagumma is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 06:44 PM   #58
Scunge
Minor Glitch
Scunge is a splendid one to beholdScunge is a splendid one to beholdScunge is a splendid one to beholdScunge is a splendid one to beholdScunge is a splendid one to beholdScunge is a splendid one to beholdScunge is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 897

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
why didnt you just right click on the knob you wanted to automate and click create automation clip or edit events?
Because it was something which I couldn't change like that (that's how I normally do it obviously). I tried to do it this way as well though and it turns out it just can't be automated - I was hoping there'd be a way to change the wave shape settings on the go as well but it just didn't seem to be happening.

------------------

Scunge is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:17 AM   #59
lonewolf
lonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MC
London
MC Status: 129804

My Post from a Thread I have just created:

I remember when I first had FL Studio 4 I started getting jungle breaks and "drilling" em with fruity slicer and wishing that i could control other effects with the velocity pane other than pitch, filter and res etc that appear in the piano roll.

Anyway I was messing with FL today after ages away fro it and could not believe my stupidity in not thinking of this before:

Basically to chop a break or wateva in slicer/slicex then create a layer and assign the sliced loop and an instance or more of fruity envelope controller to be the children of the layer. Now the fun begins basically adding watever effects you want to the channel your loop is assigned to and linking watever controlles on the effects (3rd party vsts or native fl effects) to either envelope controlles or the velocity controlles on the fruity env controller.
Now when you program your beats on the layer parent layer channel you can use velocity to modulate the effects aswell as the env mod too.

I hope I have been clear and you find this useful.

------------------
An open mind sees the world reflected within them, but a closed mind looks for the world to be their reflection. - Brian Winkler

Dream as if you'll live forever; Live as if you'll die today. - James D
lonewolf is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:36 AM   #60
Intrepid
Intrepid is a savage MCIntrepid is a savage MCIntrepid is a savage MCIntrepid is a savage MCIntrepid is a savage MCIntrepid is a savage MCIntrepid is a savage MCIntrepid is a savage MCIntrepid is a savage MCIntrepid is a savage MCIntrepid is a savage MC
MC Status: 833682

Quote:
Originally Posted by napalmbob View Post
Just thought I would remind everyone about the sheer awesomeness of FL Studio's step-sequencer and its GRAPH EDITOR. You can edit PAN, VELOCITY, RELEASE TIME, MOD X AND MOD Y (for the samplers filter), PITCH and SHIFT. I'm always using PAN to move my hats/claps around in a pattern to give it some space, and it saves having to automate any mixer controls. PITCH is neat when you have a layered sound (like a snare) and you adjust the pitch separately for each step to create some subtle differences between each hit. Oh, and it is independent of the step-sequencers mini piano-roll. My current favourite is the SHIFT tab, where you can delay those clap hits for some funky groove, or fuck with your hihat timing for IDM glitchyness. Its practically a MachineDrum.
What version does the SHIFT option become available?

Also, my most recently learned cool trick of FL Studio is:

Ctrl + Shift + H (keyboard shortcut)

It's for when you have tons of windows open, your mixer is off somewhere weird, your playlist is overlapping your step sequencer, etc. Use that keyboard shortcut and everything magically arranges for you. Love it

Advertisements

------------------
Intrepid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote