how essential to learn piano for making trance - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:48 AM   #21
JayMSay
Savage Mad Cunt
JayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2460
Re: how essential to learn piano for making trance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam201 View Post
Well for instance the minor does have a different feel then a major, and Dorian has a completely different feel to Lydian even though its the same notes. Dorian can have an Irish vibe when played using key notes for the riff.
So it enhances the major scale by giving you more options to mess with and have at your disposal when composing.
The difference between the modes and the pentatonic is where the "Home" or I chord is. C major pentatonic's home is still C while D Dorian's home is D. The hardest part about using the modes independently from the parent major is making sure that the "Home" or resolving feeling isn't to the parent majors root but to the modes root.

The awesome thing about getting more these things under your belt is so you can choose to use them or not.
For instance thinking I want a minor scale that sounds a bit more majory, I can try the Dorian mode.
Or I want a major scale that sounds more minory, I can try Mixolydian mode.

Its good fun to mess around with them and try and play riffs in the different modes to get a feel for them.
I understand what you are saying mate and agree sure its same notes but less but different order and home base does make different vibe

Advertisements

------------------
JayMSay is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:11 PM   #22
mr.Qaobab
Knob Twiddler
mr.Qaobab has a reputation beyond reputemr.Qaobab has a reputation beyond reputemr.Qaobab has a reputation beyond reputemr.Qaobab has a reputation beyond reputemr.Qaobab has a reputation beyond reputemr.Qaobab has a reputation beyond reputemr.Qaobab has a reputation beyond reputemr.Qaobab has a reputation beyond reputemr.Qaobab has a reputation beyond reputemr.Qaobab has a reputation beyond reputemr.Qaobab has a reputation beyond repute
rvk
MC Status: 2074

You`re not gonna start writing interesting melodies by boxing yourself into some rules that you don`t even understand (by using only white keys in your case), make a melody first using whatever notes you feel like and then try to figure out what rules apply if that is so important to you.
mr.Qaobab is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:00 PM   #23
Yzarc
Savage Mad Cunt
Yzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MC
MC Status: 30760

All the advice in this thread is definitely advice. And it is definitely advice that I consider to be advice-like. And I recommend viewing it as advice that you can either take or leave.

Advertisements

------------------
** UTTERLY FECKIN' BRILLIANT TUNE **
https://soundcloud.com/windfallen/kernow

coming soon on my label ....I wish
Yzarc is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote